Faster zooming and focusing for Nikon E5700?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jeff chen

Sep 1, 2002
Singapore
Visit site
good day all Nikon CP 5700 users! Just got some feedback from the nikon Tech desk (Max) and he suggested the following to improve the focusing speed which all of us sometime lament...

1. Switch from Auto Focus to Single Focus and then set the confirmation to On.

2. Shutter release speed set to quick response.

How fast this makes the focusing I dunno:dunno: Becos I have not tried it myself as my batts are charging:D

No mention of upgrading the software to make things faster leh:rbounce:

Shall all of us petition Nikon damn hard for some kinda of upgrade if this suggestion does not work?;)

:devil:

Chaps, I have tried the suggestion...still too slow for my liking:rbounce:

What do other users think?

Shall we officially lodge a complain?:devil:

Originally posted by jeff chen
good day all Nikon CP 5700 users! Just got some feedback from the nikon Tech desk (Max) and he suggested the following to improve the focusing speed which all of us sometime lament...

1. Switch from Auto Focus to Single Focus and then set the confirmation to On.

2. Shutter release speed set to quick response.

How fast this makes the focusing I dunno:dunno: Becos I have not tried it myself as my batts are charging:D

No mention of upgrading the software to make things faster leh:rbounce:

Shall all of us petition Nikon damn hard for some kinda of upgrade if this suggestion does not work?;)

How to set the shutter release speed to quick response? I am quite familiar with the control, therefore, can you please update me about this function?
By the way, I use (shutter priority most of the time instead of auto mode)

Go to menu -

then under shooting menu, select the S icon (not 1,2 or 3)

then under set up 1 select monitor options

then select the option shutter release speed

then select quick response

Hope this answers yr Q.

Go to menu -

then under shooting menu, select the S icon (not 1,2 or 3)

then under set up 1 select monitor options

then select the option shutter release speed

then select quick response

Hope this answers yr Q.

ok ok, thanks! I just found that. Previous Coolpix cameras don't have this function. :D

Chaps, I have tried the suggestion...still too slow for my liking:rbounce:

Shall we officially lodge a complain?:devil:

No no no. Sell the camera and buy the S602Z. :devil: :D :p

Chaps, I have tried the suggestion...still too slow for my liking

Shall we officially lodge a complain?
Lodging a complaint will not do anything (or anything constructive) - all consumer (or even pro-sumer) digicams suffer from lag in the focusing and shutter release depts.

If you want, desire, lust or need near-instantaneous focusing and minimal shutter release lag (sub 100ms), then there is really no other avenue than going for an SLR (or DSLR).

For sure, there are things you can do to minimise the focus/shutter lag ie pre-focusing or manual focusing and predicting the peak of action, but the speed of the digicam will lag behind that of SLRs.

For what its worth, when I tried out the CP5700, I felt that the response (AF and shutter release) is a HUGE improvement over the CP9xx/4500 series, and I think I could live with it given (and understanding) its limitations. If I were in the market for a digicam, I would seriously consider the CP5700 over the rest.

Originally posted by Darren
Lodging a complaint will not do anything (or anything constructive) - all consumer (or even pro-sumer) digicams suffer from lag in the focusing and shutter release depts.

If you want, desire, lust or need near-instantaneous focusing and minimal shutter release lag (sub 100ms), then there is really no other avenue than going for an SLR (or DSLR).

For sure, there are things you can do to minimise the focus/shutter lag ie pre-focusing or manual focusing and predicting the peak of action, but the speed of the digicam will lag behind that of SLRs.

For what its worth, when I tried out the CP5700, I felt that the response (AF and shutter release) is a HUGE improvement over the CP9xx/4500 series, and I think I could live with it given (and understanding) its limitations. If I were in the market for a digicam, I would seriously consider the CP5700 over the rest.

And of coz, if anyone wants the absolute minimum in shutter lags, try the Leica M6. As low as 12ms. :devil:

Regards
CK

Originally posted by ckiang

And of coz, if anyone wants the absolute minimum in shutter lags, try the Leica M6. As low as 12ms. :devil:

i tot it's instant? ;p

and may i add, this 12ms is even faster than the EOS 1D or 1v's 55ms shutter lag, and faster than any of the Nikon offerings as well...........:devil:

Seriously though, try this: AF with your Coolpix, then switch to manual focus. This should set your focusing distance to tat of the subject. Use manual exposure, setting the aperture and shutter speeds yourself.

In this way, you remove autofocus and autoexposure from the time lag equation. At the point of shutter release, the only delay would be the camera's response to opening the shutter (which is still long, but at least you don't have to wait for it to do AF and AE).

Originally posted by Darren

that is exactly what I have emailed jeff chen. It is a big leap from 9xx series to 5700. Furthermore, 5700 lets the consumer save a big money from buying flashbracket, teleconverter . Yet, I still find 5700 the best camera (in my mind) I have ever used. And I believe most of the other prosumer cameras do have the similar problems in focusing just that different manufacturers have different ways to slightly reduce the problems.

Originally posted by 007

that is exactly what I have emailed jeff chen. It is a big leap from 9xx series to 5700. Furthermore, 5700 lets the consumer save a big money from buying flashbracket, teleconverter . Yet, I still find 5700 the best camera (in my mind) I have ever used. And I believe most of the other pro-consumer cameras do have the similar problems in focusing just that different manufacturers have different ways to slightly reduce the problems.

Hi

I just remembered - one prosumer digicam that can focus really fast and give a good shoot rate of 3 frames / sec is the Panasonic LC5 (or the Leica Digilux variant).

not too sure about the image quality but the Panasonic is a really snappy camera....in terms of focusing.

Originally posted by Red Dawn

Hi

I just remembered - one prosumer digicam that can focus really fast and give a good shoot rate of 3 frames / sec is the Panasonic LC5 (or the Leica Digilux variant).

not too sure about the image quality but the Panasonic is a really snappy camera....in terms of focusing.

Indeed! :D I tested out Nekogotch's Panosonic Lumix before...

The focusing speed is very fast... :)

But at the end of the day, even with the Fuji S602Z, which is supposed to have a faster focusing speed than some cameras, it still has it's flaws, like problems with AF during low light situations.. however, i guess it's a matter of acceptance and working around it, rather than complain.

During the purchasing process, the buyer should have considered the pros and cons (no offense to the Nikon CP 5700 users) of before the purchase... and it was supposed to be a known fact that it's has a known flaw, which is the focusing speed....

So, well, enjoy the art/sport/experience of photography... like someone once mentioned in here, pressing the button is the last step of the visualisation process...

Cheers! :)

Thanks for the various suggestions (on other cameras??!!) and the fact that much improvement has come in terms of focusing since Nikon's older models.

Well, cannot afford DSLR so got to settle for this one. Just wish that greater improvements cld come with this cam since one spend more than 1500 bucks on it? :dunno:

I sometime suspect the camera manufacturers deliberately leave the current cam a little room for improvement so that they can churn out new models that make slight improvement and sell them eh? Otherwise no one will buy the new models? True?

I sometime suspect the camera manufacturers deliberately leave the current cam a little room for improvement so that they can churn out new models that make slight improvement and sell them eh? Otherwise no one will buy the new models? True?

Brudder.... as much as tax is a fact of life, so is the above statement. A certain M$ and I$ company have been using such strategy for ages...... And of coz A$ company seems to be joining in the fray...haha :D

I found that the CP 5700 would focus faster under any light condition and better under low light condition if I set the AF Area mode to either OFF or AUTO as compared to MANUAL.

The disadvantage of setting to OFF is that the AF area LED would not light up to indicate the square used for focusing. But in the OFF mode, the camera is using the centre square by default, so as long as the subject is placed at the centre of the screen, it should be OK.

The disadvantage of setting to AUTO is that sometimes there would be more hunting if there are objects in any of the 5 AF squares, and sometimes even though you thought the picture is in focus when you snap the shutter, the resulting photo would be slightly out of focus because the camera decided to use another square (if there's any object there, that is) at the last moment.

Nowadays, I set the AF Area mode to OFF all the time. In this mode, I find that I can even autofocus in a dark room lit by just a table lamp.

Thanks tomcat for yr suggestion on switching AF to off under lowlight conditions. :thumbsup: Will bear that in mind when focusing subjects under low light condition.

Just got news from the Nikon tech support, no news yet of newer version of the firmware or plans to speed up the issue of faster zoom and focus...they replied they have overwhelming response to this issue though...so lookout for their website on annoucement to correct this "problem". Lets keep our fingers cross and pray they will come out with a solution soon (as I am optimistic that such a huge camera coy will certainly take heed of customers feedback). Meanwhile...happy snapping! Cheers! :devil:

Status
Not open for further replies.