Faster flash sync shutter speed

Status
Not open for further replies.

edwinywh

Sep 11, 2003
Singapore
www.pbase.com
Hi guys,I got my D100 just a couple of weeks old and together with SB 28DX speedlight.Still experimenting with it.
The flash sync shutter speed for D100 is 1/180s.Any way to make it faster?

try manual mode at speed over 1/180sec. then, see if it syncs.

I am not sure if the exposure time on D100 is electronically controlled on the CCD or is it controlled by the mechanical shutter (like film SLRs).

If it is electronically controlled on the CCD, that means that the shutter will have to fully open, and the the CCD get's triggered to capture the image for the set exposure time, and then the shutter closes. In this case, the sync speed should be the max shutter speed.

If the exposure time is controlled by the mechanical shutter, like on film cameras, then the sync speed is the max shutter speed which there is at least a moment in time when the CCD is fully exposed. In this case the CCD is triggered to capture the image, then the first shutter curtain is released and exposes the CCD as it travels across the CCD surface. The second shutter curtain is released at the set exposure time after the first shutter curtain is released, and it travels across the CCD surface to cover it. So each point on the CCD is exposed for the set exposure time. At slow shutter speed settings, the delay between the releasing of the 1st and 2nd shutter curtain is long enough dfor the CCD to be fullt exposed, so when the flash fires at the moment the 1st shutter curtain reaches the other side, the CCD is fully illuminated. As the shuuter speed increases, there will come a setting were the 2nd curtain has to be released before the 1st curtain reaches the other side. So when the flash fires, part of the CCD will be coverd by the 2nd curtain, causing a dark band on the picture.

My logical guess is that the exposure time should be electronically controlled at the CCD, so there should not be any sync speed in theory...but if the spec says it is 1/180 sec, then I am also a little confused... :confused:

the d100 uses a mechanical shutter as opposed to the electronic shutter of the d1 series(thats how they fire the shutter up to 1/16000s). thus snc speed is 1/180s. period. no point trying this and that. what is stated in the manual is correct. and fp sync does not work on the D100 as well... (as stated in the manual)

edwinywh said:
Hi guys,I got my D100 just a couple of weeks old and together with SB 28DX speedlight.Still experimenting with it.
The flash sync shutter speed for D100 is 1/180s.Any way to make it faster?

Flash sync speed is a limitation of the camera.

Really no other ways to incease the sync speed?
Any way to mod the cam or something?

mpenza said:
change camera ;p I thought Nikon flash support high speed sync as well?

Yah I think there is a way. That one think ask ESPN better. He knows.

edwinywh said:
Argh,So I'm right then.the D70 has a faster sync speed than my D100.
Sianz............

While the D100 has a flash sync speed of 1/180 only compared to 1/500 for the D70, how does the difference affect you? What kind of photography do u take? It is a limitataion, but not a crippling one.

coke21 said:
While the D100 has a flash sync speed of 1/180 only compared to 1/500 for the D70, how does the difference affect you? What kind of photography do u take? It is a limitataion, but not a crippling one.

If the flash can sync faster then won't the problem be solved? I mean my Minolta flashes can sync up to 1/8000 sec. I'm sure that Nikon has such a flash as well? Or the shutter speed on the camera is limited? What's the maximum shutter speed (without flash) for the D100?

TME said:
If the flash can sync faster then won't the problem be solved? I mean my Minolta flashes can sync up to 1/8000 sec. I'm sure that Nikon has such a flash as well? Or the shutter speed on the camera is limited? What's the maximum shutter speed (without flash) for the D100?

D100's fastest shutter speed is 1/4000s.The Speedlight SB 800 has auto sync.

coke21 said:

I am just taking normal photography.But for example in the day time?Dun think will use the 1/180s shutter speed as the fastest shutter speed right?(With the use of f8 and above I know.)
But wat I mean is with the use of aperture like f5.6 and below and using fast shutter speed.

My limitation will disallowed me to take pics with the background blur and things.

Just,erm....feel that this limitation is not good loh.Hee... :D

edwinywh said:
I am just taking normal photography.But for example in the day time?Dun think will use the 1/180s shutter speed as the fastest shutter speed right?(With the use of f8 and above I know.)
But wat I mean is with the use of aperture like f5.6 and below and using fast shutter speed.

My limitation will disallowed me to take pics with the background blur and things.

Just,erm....feel that this limitation is not good loh.Hee... :D

How so? If u taking a pic with a shallow DOF under very bright conditions, the D100's 1/4000 max shutter speed should be able to handle most situations. And if u need fill-flash the SB800 will be able to sync to to 1/4000 also, so u can have fill flash at high speeds as well. Unless your body dun support the SB800.

TME said:

High speed sync needs to be supported on the body as well. Put a 5600HS on a Dynax 8000i, 9000 and it still can't do HSS.

Likewise High Speed sync is not supported on the D100. The Auto FP-Sync of the SB800 works only on CLS cameras.(D2h/D70).

Zerstorer said:
High speed sync needs to be supported on the body as well. Put a 5600HS on a Dynax 8000i, 9000 and it still can't do HSS.

Likewise High Speed sync is not supported on the D100. The Auto FP-Sync of the SB800 works only on CLS cameras.(D2h/D70).

I see.... thought the D100 is quite a recent model and so should support some for of HSS for flash. I can understand the Dynax 8000, 9000 range not support the HSS of the 5600 or 5400 but those are really quite old models aren't they? The D100 being a DSLR should have been around only in the past year or two, so I'm quite surprised that it does not support HSS. Even my first cam a humble 505si supports HSS as u know.

I know about the auto FP flash sync in SB800.

But now know that my cam doesn't even support the high speed sync I sianz liao... also L squared. :cry:

edwinywh said:
I know about the auto FP flash sync in SB800.

But now know that my cam doesn't even support the high speed sync I sianz liao... also L squared. :cry:

Never mind lor..... shoot within the limits. Master the camera and outgrow its capabilities then u can justify an upgrade.

sb80dx has high speed sync... but manual if I'm not wrong. not too sure about earlier flash.

mpenza said:
sb80dx has high speed sync... but manual if I'm not wrong. not too sure about earlier flash.
SB25,SB26,SB28/DX, SB80DX support manual FP-sync only on F90 and above bodies.

The D100 is a F80 based body.

Status
Not open for further replies.