Faster CF card?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Damien

Apr 14, 2003
Sengkang
Just wondering will getting a faster CF card really reduce the time of taking consecutive shots? I mean does it reduce the time between the end of the 1st shot and the beginning of the 2nd shot?
I am using a pro90IS with a 1gb microdrive, will getting a 70x CF card justify my penny??
Pls advise!!!

getting a faster CF will definitely improve the time between shots.

However, the speed of the CF is not everything. Your digicam write speed also plays a part. Most prosumer digicam like canon pro90IS does not have any speed improvement when using a 45X CF vs 70X CF cos the max it can write may be 30X or less. Only DSLR will see the advantage of using a 70X CF.

You may want to check your digicam spec or contact the manufacturer to find out about the camera write speed.

Darkspade

ok, I see now. Got to check on my camera first
Thanks!!

darkspade said:
getting a faster CF will definitely improve the time between shots.

Only DSLR will see the advantage of using a 70X CF.

Er, sorry, i think that's not true.

A faster CF card will only improve your shot-to-shot timing IF THERE IS NO BUFFER for the next shot. Meaning that the camera can only take the next shot when this one has cleared. Camera internal memory (aka buffer) will always be faster than the CF card.

If there is a buffer (as almost all dSLRs do), then a faster card has absolutely no bearing on shot-to-shot timing, unless you max out the buffer. You will, however, get a faster LCD review with a faster card if your camera requires the image to be written to card before reviewing.

ST1100 said:
Er, sorry, i think that's not true.

A faster CF card will only improve your shot-to-shot timing IF THERE IS NO BUFFER for the next shot. Meaning that the camera can only take the next shot when this one has cleared. Camera internal memory (aka buffer) will always be faster than the CF card.

If there is a buffer (as almost all dSLRs do), then a faster card has absolutely no bearing on shot-to-shot timing, unless you max out the buffer. You will, however, get a faster LCD review with a faster card if your camera requires the image to be written to card before reviewing.

HUH?? SO confusing now... :dunno:

damien, learn to do a search for anything u doesn't know. if u can't find, then try asking here.

what ST1100 said is correct.

DSLR with buffer.
U take a shot, shot is 'worth' 1mb, the cam stores the 1mb in the buffer, a buffer is like RAM (temporary storage), the buffer transfer the 1mb onto your CF card. Rate of transfer can range from 1mb/s to 6mb/s...all depends on the camera, AND depends on your CF card writing speed. if writing speed is abt 1mb/s (about 20X? can't rem now), then your buffer will clear in 1second, and u can snap again.
But most DSLR have many shots available in the buffer, 300D has 4, and D70 has 'unlimited' buffer.

It is only when this buffer is full, (when u take continuously), then the effect of the writing speed matters. for eg: buffer can take 10 shots, total 10mb, buffer is full, say the cam can write super fast 10mb/s, but your card is super slow, 0.1mb/s, then it'll take 10seconds for the 1st pic taken to clear, and then u can take another pic, and wait and so on.....

thats the DSLR take.

for non-DSLR, there's usually no buffer, hence is its 'more important' --> subjective term, to have a higher speed CF card, so that u can take another picture again.

Best way is to go to a shop, bring your cam, and stop watch, and time yourself.

Wah... u r using a 1gb card with pro901s?? u can save up to thousands shots leh.. :what:
btw, is true. many factors u hav to consider when using a high speed CF card + a camera. it doesn't meant higher speed CF card will help you to save data faster.. :think:

believe the Pro 90IS is the bottleneck and with a faster card, the speed increase is minimal.

Status
Not open for further replies.