[FastBlueSnail] Macro-Photography through Fuji X100s

FastBlueSnail

Dec 17, 2012
Singapore
www.flickr.com
Just bought X100s last month and it has allowed me to venture into macro-graphy. Like to share some of my work here and get some pointers from experienced folks.
CC welcome.

Enjoy!

#1 Hungry Hungry

#3 Perfect Reflection

#4 Amazing Camouflage

#5 Now, U see me

FastBlueSnail

Dec 17, 2012
Singapore
www.flickr.com
#11 Still looking?

#12 Weird looking fellow

#13 Cocoon

#14 Housefly (Right-side View)

#15 Housefly (Font view)

FastBlueSnail

Dec 17, 2012
Singapore
www.flickr.com
#27 Upside down

#28 Assassin Bug

#29 Fur-ball!

#30 Heavily Armed!

#31 What you looking at?!!!

Last edited:

loboclerk

Jul 28, 2002
Singapore
Did you shoot all these in 1 day? =D

Lovely finds, quite a few unique ones. The advantage of the X100s is the thick DOF when compared to DSLRs. The downside is also the massive DOF which leads to messier backgrounds. So try to pay attention to the background perhaps.

FastBlueSnail

Dec 17, 2012
Singapore
www.flickr.com
I shot these over 3 occasions, Botanical garden (1 day), Henderson waves (1 day) and Venus drive/Rifle Range (1 day).
Going back to Venus drive/Rifle range whenever i can find the time. Very solid place for macro.

Wow, you are the macro expert. I love your work! Thank you for the advice. I bought X100s initially as a walk-around camera/travelling.. din know it is also quite good for macro. My Canon 24-105mm can't do this. Quite fun, X100s has brought me to the realm of macro :bsmilie:

Did you shoot all these in 1 day? =D

Lovely finds, quite a few unique ones. The advantage of the X100s is the thick DOF when compared to DSLRs. The downside is also the massive DOF which leads to messier backgrounds. So try to pay attention to the background perhaps.

snapsnapsnapsnap

Jan 25, 2012
Very impressive with x100s!

Any flash use?

FastBlueSnail

Dec 17, 2012
Singapore
www.flickr.com
More shots from Venus drive.

#45 Mating

#46 Parmarion martensi (Where's the eyes?)

#47 Right on top!

#48 The Big Spider

#49 Jealousy Eyes

FastBlueSnail

Dec 17, 2012
Singapore
www.flickr.com
#50 Treading on fine line

#51 The Golden Spider

#52 Busy little Bee

#53 Cricket-looking bug

#54 The Confrontation

vincentsiew

Jul 24, 2008
#2 was a very nice shot,if just the critter was facing you, you'd a winning shot. Well done and a lovely collection with the Fuji.:thumbsup:

chvictor

Mar 16, 2007
Wow... that's a big collection. Your shots has got sharpness and clarity. Looking at the catchlight of some subjects, can see your flash is away from the end of the lens which can result in a bit of harsh shadow on some subjects. Try moving your flash a little more near the edge of the lens by using extending cord or if the flash is on the hotshoe, place a diffuser just at the end of the flash. This will definitely help. Anyway, great work.

FastBlueSnail

Dec 17, 2012
Singapore
www.flickr.com
Thanks! Almost all the fotos are SOOC jpeg except 1 or 2 which I need to push the shadow (in raw). X100s indeed has made me very lazy. :bsmilie:
Once again, thank you for the advice. I will work on my lighting. I am currently using a off-camera flash (with extension cord) and a softbox.. guess the diffusion isn't enough.

Cheers

Wow... that's a big collection. Your shots has got sharpness and clarity. Looking at the catchlight of some subjects, can see your flash is away from the end of the lens which can result in a bit of harsh shadow on some subjects. Try moving your flash a little more near the edge of the lens by using extending cord or if the flash is on the hotshoe, place a diffuser just at the end of the flash. This will definitely help. Anyway, great work.