Fast lens

MrFunnyBaby

Jun 22, 2010
when come to fast lens like F1.2 we can shoot in dimmer places with bigger aperture letting more light in. But that will also have very narrow DOF right? so i cannot have background focus as well?

when come to fast lens like F1.2 we can shoot in dimmer places with bigger aperture letting more light in. But that will also have very narrow DOF right? so i cannot have background focus as well?

yes u r right... f1.2 dof is too thin...

You might want to consider using flash, higher ISO or even a combination of both.

Yea, the wider the aperture, the shallower the DOF, so can't get your background with a 1.2

Depends on how far your subject is to your camera and also how far the BG is to the subject and your camera. :)

Isn't that the purpose of an F1.2 lens, to shoot at F1.2?

Isn't that the purpose of an F1.2 lens, to shoot at F1.2?

Yes and No, depending on the effect which you want. Since the TS wants the background to be in focus as well, the best would be to use a combination of higher ISO and flash with a smaller aperture

hmmm then it will have to be a compromise lor...

but if i can shoot at 1.2 then if its dark/dim place, then i will shoot in 1.2 lor... unless have tripod, then can leave it on tripod to shoot then different story...

Most lenses are not at their best at max aperture.

Many people get 1.2 lenses so they can shoot very sharp picture at 1.4 to 1.8

Yes and No, depending on the effect which you want. Since the TS wants the background to be in focus as well, the best would be to use a combination of higher ISO and flash with a smaller aperture

Then why buy a f1.2, a f1.4 or even a f3.5 will do and spend alot less money. If I don't need to shoot at f1.2, I will never buy an f1.2. I use most of my specialty lenses, especially my f1.4 at f1.4 most of the time and the effect is completely different when you stop it down.

Then why buy a f1.2, a f1.4 or even a f3.5 will do and spend alot less money. If I don't need to shoot at f1.2, I will never buy an f1.2. I use most of my specialty lenses, especially my f1.4 at f1.4 most of the time and the effect is completely different when you stop it down.

It might only be at this instance that the TS wants to capture the background. Maybe he wants a nice bokeh at other times? Then his 1.2 will come in handy. It's all about the situation.

Depends on distance to subject.
AFAIK, it should have some recognizable bkgnd if you do full body or 2/3 body shots.

Here is an example :

55mm f1.2
K7JP2624-1.jpg

thanks for clarifying, cos whenever people talk about getting a low F stop lens so you can shoot in lower light situation, i am a little bit confuse...

Like wise, i though of getting a 70-200 F2.8 vs F4... do i need that 1 stop that cost double the price. i i don't need much on the bokeh, then i guess F4 is good enough right? Or maybe i should even wait for the new 70-300L? since i have intention of getting the 70-200 with a x1.4 convertor. that will make my 280mm range F5.6 due to the convertor right? same as the new 70-300..

thanks for clarifying, cos whenever people talk about getting a low F stop lens so you can shoot in lower light situation, i am a little bit confuse...

Like wise, i though of getting a 70-200 F2.8 vs F4... do i need that 1 stop that cost double the price. i i don't need much on the bokeh, then i guess F4 is good enough right? Or maybe i should even wait for the new 70-300L? since i have intention of getting the 70-200 with a x1.4 convertor. that will make my 280mm range F5.6 due to the convertor right? same as the new 70-300..

Yes a faster lens will be helpful in low light situations where you still need a faster shutter speed. The shallow DOF can mean less sharp shots or missed focus though.

For long lenses like the 70-200mm, I personally find f4 lenses to be good enough for daylight and outdoor shoots. Indoors, very often a f2.8 is preferable.
As you have mentioned yourself a faster lens will also give you an advantage when coupled with a teleconverter.

it depends on what you want to achieve with your lens and what you re shooting. if its a group and you want to include the bg, then get a wide lens and stop down the lens to get the dof you want.

f/1.2 is indispensable though.. both for the low light performance especially with older bodies with less capable high isos...

0b38b17a31d96921b2c5967167c0df10.jpg

iso 800? shutter 1/30, f/1.2

f49d691044391e3a378032a9702fada4.jpg

streetlight, iso 400, f/1.2, 1/15 sec. film

and oof rendition and overall feel of the image:

57e0d97db3eed458727fca40a4ade2f4.jpg

bdcd48ec163922ad4553093c1df5c059.jpg

and for BOTH rendition and low light performance,

e4e05964b4bff94fd89f25241ff45a1a.jpg

taken at night, dim walkway lighting, with the 135 f2 at 1/60sec.

while its true that most lenses dont perform their best at the widest apertures, my nikkor 50 1.2 is more than good enough to shoot at f/1.2 without hesitation. if anything, the issue lies with my manual focusing and not lack of sharpness.

just a point to note, though its only 1/3 or 1/2 a stop(i cant remember) btwn 1.2 and 1.4, in nikon land, the difference in rendition is enough to set the 2 lenses apart.

also, i shot golf once where my mentor, using a d3 and 70-200 2.8 vr suggested i shoot at f4 for the sharpness he required. but as i din want to use anything over iso 800, i shot my 135 f2.0 AIS at mostly f2 and f2.8. he was very impressed with both the sharpness and bg rendition of the f/2 shots. it really does add something special to the image. its important however, to get focus spot on.