Fast Film recommendation for large >15R group shot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zerstorer

Jul 8, 2002
Can anyone give suggestions on a suitable what 35mm film to use for a indoor group(>60) shot that has to be blown up to 15R or larger size?

I've tried Fuji NPH400 but the results are rather soft even on a 4R print and I'm not sure if it can take the enlargement.

Originally posted by Zerstorer
Can anyone give suggestions on a suitable what 35mm film to use for a indoor group(>60) shot that has to be blown up to 15R or larger size?

I've tried Fuji NPH400 but the results are rather soft even on a 4R print and I'm not sure if it can take the enlargement.

NPH shouldn't be soft, what lens did you use at what aperture? The lab used also makes a difference.

For that kind of size, using 35mm is really stretching it. Ideally you should be looking at using 6x4.5 or 6x7 medium format, or maybe give the 6-12mp DSLRs a shot as well.

Regards
CK

Originally posted by ckiang

NPH shouldn't be soft, what lens did you use at what aperture? The lab used also makes a difference.
I was starting to think it was my lens(admittably a 35-105minolta compact zoom) but I have gotten sharper results in the past using other film.(Kodak/Fuji consumer films).

I stepped down to about f5.6 for the shot(wide open is f3.5) and used flash and 1/50-1/60 shutter speed for 35mm focal length.

The developing lab was Colour Lab.

Actually I was quite surprised to see the results as I didn't expect NPH400 to be so soft as I have gotten better results in the past with plain old Superia200(also developed at Color Lab). I did wonder if it was properly processed but decided to ask around first.

For that kind of size, using 35mm is really stretching it. Ideally you should be looking at using 6x4.5 or 6x7 medium format, or maybe give the 6-12mp DSLRs a shot as well.

Regards
CK
I was thinking about this too, but I don't have access to such equipment currently. I did the same shoot in the past with lesser number of people(40) and plain consumer film and the results were passable.

Since I might have to do a reshoot anyway, are there better suggestions for film(ISO400)?

CK is right. Last week I took a corporate group picture of more than 50 people using NPH, still got acceptable sharpness at 14" x 11" print.

I used 2 camera bodies (from different angle of view), all secured firmly on tripod with cable release. The lens are Nikkor 35-70/2.8 and 24/2.8
4 flash lights bounced to ceiling. Exposed at f/5.6 1/60s

I was starting to think it was my lens(admittably a 35-105minolta compact zoom) but I have gotten sharper results in the past using other film.(Kodak/Fuji consumer films).

I stepped down to about f5.6 for the shot(wide open is f3.5) and used flash and 1/50-1/60 shutter speed for 35mm focal length.

The developing lab was Colour Lab.

Actually I was quite surprised to see the results as I didn't expect NPH400 to be so soft as I have gotten better results in the past with plain old Superia200(also developed at Color Lab). I did wonder if it was properly processed but decided to ask around first.

I was thinking about this too, but I don't have access to such equipment currently. I did the same shoot in the past with lesser number of people(40) and plain consumer film and the results were passable.

Since I might have to do a reshoot anyway, are there better suggestions for film(ISO400)?

Try NPH again, with preferably a prime lens if you can borrow one. Grain on NPH is very fine. Actually 15R is almost stretching 35mm liao.

Regards
Ck

Originally posted by tsdh
CK is right. Last week I took a corporate group picture of more than 50 people using NPH, still got acceptable sharpness at 14" x 11" print.

Ok. Seems like it's not the film then. I was shooting on tripod, but I didn't use a cable release as I din have it with me. I had only 1 flash setup and yes this did cause slight light falloff in the corners. Camera use was a old Minolta Maxxum 8000i with 35-105 f3.5-4.5 lens.

Is it worth the risk to just blow up the shot even though it doesn't look rosy at 4R? Or is reshooting a better option?

Is NPH400 is still the best choice? Any other close alternatives that I should consider?

Seems like I really have to borrow a 28mm minolta A mount prime or pass the shooting job to someone else.

Is it worth the risk to just blow up the shot even though it doesn't look rosy at 4R? Or is reshooting a better option?
If there is second chance, it is better to re-shoot.

Is NPH400 is still the best choice? Any other close alternatives that I should consider?
It is still one of the best for portrait. Rated at EI320 (slightly over-exposed), it gives a pleasant skin tone and lower grain.

Seems like I really have to borrow a 28mm minolta A mount prime or pass the shooting job to someone else.
Yes, you have to use a prime or hi-quality zoom for that purpose.
Good sharpness is required to enlarge a group photo to more than 10R, our eyes will scan each small faces on the print, a minor imperfection will easily noticeable.

Ok, thanks for the advice guys. Will attempt to coordinate a reshoot.:)

Status
Not open for further replies.