Fashion Version 3.0 (15th May 2005)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pro Image

Oct 31, 2003
Last planet from the sun
I am opening another Fashion Course Version 3.0. This is for those who are interested in Fashion Photography. For this intensive course, I will cover areas in lighting up your subject plus compositions. There will be a theme on each of our practical shoot. Fashion Photography is very different from those shooting Portraiture and Makeover Photography as it has a different mood and style.

Start of course will be on
15th (Sunday) May 2005 @ 3.00pm - Theory Class
22nd (Sunday)May 2005 @ 9.00am - Practical Class
29th (Sunday) May 2005 @ 3.00pm - Theory and Review
5th (Sunday) June 2005 @ 3.00pm - Practical Class
12th (Sunday) June 2005 @ 3.00pm - Final Review and Evaluation Course

IMPORTANT NOTE
Please note that you must attend all classes to fully understand my course as all 4 classes is related to one another. Please be prepare for it. If you skip or miss the practical or theory class, you will not be able to understand the second practical class. You have to wait for the next batch to continue.

Some samples of my work........
view_photo.php

view_photo.php

I will be showcasing some of my participants work in the next few days.

-Full Details-
Venue: Stanley Lim Colour Centre (Midlink Plaza, 122 Middle Road)
Instructor: Danny
Course fee: $400 for DSLR/SLR/Medium Format users
Models : Hiring A Professional Model for each shoot
Photographers : MAX 8 ( Each has their personnal time to shoot)
Duration : Once a week
Time : 3pm-7pm

Equipment : DSLR or SLR only with a portrait lens (Ranges from 18mm-200mm for SLRs) for shooting face, half and full body. (Those wants to learn but do not have a SLR/DLSR, pls let me know what camera you have)

Medium Format users are welcome as well. I will advise you on what lens to use for whichever format you have for medium format users. Please take note that please have a better understanding with your cameras so we do not face any problems with our shoot later, be it SLR/DSLR/MF.

As this time round it will be on location outdoor shoot, so a portable flash unit might be needed for fill-in.

Lightings : Provided for both Studio and Location shoot (Strobes is provided if the location is indoor)

Others : Tripod is needed for this course. So please be prepared for it as for location shooting usage.

-Package details-
1st lesson : Theory - Learn the basic theory about what Fashion Photography is. You will be learning on how to coordinate, shoot, compose, pose, communicate with your subjects and setup lighting techniques. There will be different skills and techniques involve.

2nd lesson : Practical course in the studio - You will be shooting a Female Model. I will be guiding each every individual on what to look out for. Each Photographer will get to shoot 10 minutes for the first outfit. Another 10 minutes for the second outfit. And the last 10 minutes for the last outfit.

3rd lesson : Theory - Review, critics and comments on the photos taken from your 1st Practical lessons. I will be advising all of you on what went wrong and how to improve from here. Other comments are welcome. We will be discussing on what to look our for your outdoor shoot. There will be a 8-10 minutes presentation of the work you shot for the first practical class.

4th lesson : Practical course on Location - You will be shooting a Female Model. I will be guiding each every individual on what to look out for. Each Photographer will get to shoot 10 minutes for the first outfit. Another 10 minutes for the second outfit. And the last 10 minutes for the last outfit.

5th Lesson : Final Review, Critics and Presentation of your overall shoots.

-Additional Perks-
For you info, models are provided with Make-up and Hair Styling by Professional Make-up Artist whom I can introduced to you all. No charges will be incurred as it is part of the course. After the last lesson, those who is interested to bring down their photos individually or as a group will be fine with me. I will be at Stanley Lim Colour Centre but please sms or call me before going down as I have a tight schedule. If there is unforseen circumstances while attending this course half way and miss a lesson, I will replace one for you on my next intake.

-Deposit-
A deposit of $100.00 have to be paid upon signing up this course. Full payment MUST be paid on the first lesson. You can transfer the money through my POSB or DBS account. If you are interested, I will PM you my account details. Thanks.

-Free-
All students will be giving 2 hours free for usage of studio anytime but must make an appointment. This is will be given after you all finish the course.

Name list (Your nicks will remain private)
1)
2)
3)
4)
5)
6)

-End of the course-
After attending my course, you may want to do your own personalized shoots. I will be glad to assist you if need any help. Although you are paying premium fees for your own models and make-up artist by yourself in the beginning but the folio will be far better off as you control the situation, not others.

We can provide models as well if you are unable to find one....

Please feel free to make enquiries if there is anything you are not sure of. You can PM me guys and gals.

Namelist
1)CHG
2)
3)
4)
5)
6)
7)
8)

Fashion Course is all about controlling and marketing an idea thru photography!

Namelist
1)CHG
2)
3)
4)
5)
6)
7)
8)

Here is your chance to let your ideas flow with your own personal techniques. Fashion Course is one of the most interesting course that you will ever come across. Hope to see more participants!

Namelist
1)CHG
2)
3)
4)
5)
6)
7)
8)

Here is your chance to let your ideas flow with your own personal techniques. Fashion Course is one of the most interesting course that you will ever come across. Hope to see more participants!

Namelist
1)CHG
2)
3)
4)
5)
6)
7)
8)

Namelist
1)CHG
2)
3)
4)
5)
6)
7)
8)

Starting soon! 15th May which falls on a Sunday @ 3.00pm

Namelist
1)CHG
2)
3)
4)
5)
6)
7)
8)

1 Week Ago 10:25 PM

Namelist
1)CHG
2)
3)
4)
5)
6)
7)
8)

Awaiting for more participants......

Hi due to some work commitment, this course will be postphoned to a later date.

Most probably end of June.

Thank you for viewing.

Just wondering, how do you teach Fashion Photography? Because Fashion Photography is just a twist from Basic Portraiture Lightings. Fashion lightings is the as easy as Portrait lightings.
Just naming them out right now. The butterfly lighting, the double butterfly, side light, key light, hair light, diffused light, and so many which originated from Portraits. What made the difference in fashion is not just photography but the Fashion Stylist who also bear almost equal responsibilty as the photography.

How do you conduct your class without the most crucial person none other than the Fashion Stylist who dictates the dress and style, who from point to point contributes to attitude of photography?

It's strange because as a professional, and I'm sure you are, to be actually hearing Fashion Photography can be taught. I'm sorry again, but I never think it can be, because Fashion Photography Interpretion is how one individual photographer starts from Portraits and later differ into their own style.

pointblankshots said:
Just wondering, how do you teach Fashion Photography? Because Fashion Photography is just a twist from Basic Portraiture Lightings. Fashion lightings is the as easy as Portrait lightings.
Just naming them out right now. The butterfly lighting, the double butterfly, side light, key light, hair light, diffused light, and so many which originated from Portraits. What made the difference in fashion is not just photography but the Fashion Stylist who also bear almost equal responsibilty as the photography.

How do you conduct your class without the most crucial person none other than the Fashion Stylist who dictates the dress and style, who from point to point contributes to attitude of photography?

It's strange because as a professional, and I'm sure you are, to be actually hearing Fashion Photography can be taught. I'm sorry again, but I never think it can be, because Fashion Photography Interpretion is how one individual photographer starts from Portraits and later differ into their own style.

PBS,

great photographer you maybe, and many of your points sound reasonable. however, sometimes i think your expectations are way too high and unrealistic. many members of this forum are just amateurs, newbies, they are not full time on photography, they don't make a living on photography. it is only a hobby to them. it is unrealistic to expect everyone to produce something as good as yours, or even better. they simply don't have the time or effort or money or opportunity to do what you do.

if your intention is to bring up the standard of photography of singapore, then i must say in my humble opinion, your approach is wrong. you may be a great photographer now, but i am sure you were also once a green horn, you also shot crap photos when you first started. think about it, how did you get to where you are today.

if you really want to bring up the standard of the members in this forum, then please do something like what Witness did, sharing inspirations, commenting on members' posting, point out mistakes, and share with us your tips, your past mistakes, etc. Doing it that way, i think you will get your messege through more smoothly.

as for the fashion photography, maybe it can't be taught, but at least someone who has no prior studio experience can have a start point in this sacred fashion photography field. at least someone is offering them a start point. at the end of the course, they may not become a qualified fashion photographer, and it is unrealistic to expect them to be, considering the length of the course, but the key point is they at least now have a start point, they will have to strive on their own from there. it is much better than having all doors slammed shut in their face, do you agree?

a super newbie's opinion.... :sweat:

pointblankshots said:

Hi PBS,

Thanks for pointing out your way of thinking. Anyway this is internet, so everyone has their own point of view. Thanks for the tips. Your photos are encouraging to all of us. Sorry I am still a newbie lar........still have much to learn.

barracuda said:
PBS,

great photographer you maybe, and many of your points sound reasonable. however, sometimes i think your expectations are way too high and unrealistic. many members of this forum are just amateurs, newbies, they are not full time on photography, they don't make a living on photography. it is only a hobby to them. it is unrealistic to expect everyone to produce something as good as yours, or even better. they simply don't have the time or effort or money or opportunity to do what you do.

if your intention is to bring up the standard of photography of singapore, then i must say in my humble opinion, your approach is wrong. you may be a great photographer now, but i am sure you were also once a green horn, you also shot crap photos when you first started. think about it, how did you get to where you are today.

if you really want to bring up the standard of the members in this forum, then please do something like what Witness did, sharing inspirations, commenting on members' posting, point out mistakes, and share with us your tips, your past mistakes, etc. Doing it that way, i think you will get your messege through more smoothly.

as for the fashion photography, maybe it can't be taught, but at least someone who has no prior studio experience can have a start point in this sacred fashion photography field. at least someone is offering them a start point. at the end of the course, they may not become a qualified fashion photographer, and it is unrealistic to expect them to be, considering the length of the course, but the key point is they at least now have a start point, they will have to strive on their own from there. it is much better than having all doors slammed shut in their face, do you agree?

a super newbie's opinion.... :sweat:

Hi Bro YK,

Thanks for pointing out some points as a super newbie. Haha.....well those who have attended my course will know lar that they have learn something new and very different. I am ok with what PBS say, infact what he says it's a good learning exeprience. Everyone has a different point of view.

So we must accept and learn comments from all walks of life. If not how are we going to improve and become a better photographer.

Thanks for the support by the way. So when are we meeting up????

I saw the thread as literally somebody teaching on Fashion Photography and never thought it could have been taught in any sense. I'm no big time prima donna photographer, I'm one who's taught throught proper discipline. I'm not unreasonable, and surely not high and unrealistic for you pals picking up this form of art. I wanted to put issues in a clear and undistorted truth.

Yup, I crap at pictures when I first began, no denial about that and I've been brought up in a discipline so strict then and now I became me. I've never start my career 'Fashion Photography'. It was purely Portraiture that I started with, and diversify to my form later. Through hard work, I flipped through more magazines than anyone of you in the forum in my earlier days then, and even try to understand not the lightings(because I already had experiences in lighting simple portraits no better than the majority who posted), but the statement one print was trying to make. How clothes were used in different part of the body, how tough it was to communicate with the model if I didn't have practice my gift of the gap if I then had little experiences, and probably even how I introduce props and whole hearted set up for just a shot.

One could have an intro to Fashion Photography in this course. I believe, like many others, No fashion Stylist simply means no Fashion Photography. I don't see how we can conduct a class by simply put a Fashion Photography Class with just a make up and hair/make up stylist. I'm sure many wouldn't mind spending a little more money if this class is put to better understanding. If the organiser needs a Fashion Stylist to be around, then simply pay for one, because the experience is priceless.

Indeed I do want to help so many people in their form of portraits by improving their flaws, but how to when all travel pictures are over the forum? It's makes me feel stupid in doing so.

Mind you, I have in the past conducted shoots twice, and those who sat through with me had pictures I thought which spoke louder. but my prequisites for the guys coming to sit with me througout the shoot was simple. All I needed was them to have used studio lightings before, knows hair light, key light and fill light. Because I knew I would never have explain fashion photography to them without their knowledge. Some came that fateful day and realised they can't understand what the rest the experienced ones were doing, and it kinda became a waste of time to them. Hey, I even bother to do a pre production before D day, anticipating each individual comfortability, and explaining what we'll go through. I wouldn't have done all this if not because I want them to see things right.

There is no way for somebody with no prior experience to start with Fashion Photography(even if that can be taught). What I would seriously suggest is that those who's interested carry on with Portraits with Pro-Image. Because one of my pal, came from his lessons, and did managed to get away with experiences. He then came to me later and saw new directions in his goal. So much so, he's actually keen in starting up his trade right now. I'm not saying I'll do this again, because I kinda click really well with him then.

One don't have to be qualified to be a Fashion Photographer, but one needs to know how it derives from, and mind you again, I've never close my door on anybody who PMs me for corrections or offering their services as an asst to me. If there was a start point, it begins with Portraits, that I strongly emphasise.

I didn't come into this thread to take business away from our friend here, because again, till now, I've never offered a solution in wanting to teach Fashion Photography. Ultimately, I will never be good enough to teach.

pointblankshots said:
I saw the thread as literally somebody teaching on Fashion Photography and never thought it could have been taught in any sense. I'm no big time prima donna photographer, I'm one who's taught throught proper discipline. I'm not unreasonable, and surely not high and unrealistic for you pals picking up this form of art. I wanted to put issues in a clear and undistorted truth.

Yup, I crap at pictures when I first began, no denial about that and I've been brought up in a discipline so strict then and now I became me. I've never start my career 'Fashion Photography'. It was purely Portraiture that I started with, and diversify to my form later. Through hard work, I flipped through more magazines than anyone of you in the forum in my earlier days then, and even try to understand not the lightings(because I already had experiences in lighting simple portraits no better than the majority who posted), but the statement one print was trying to make. How clothes were used in different part of the body, how tough it was to communicate with the model if I didn't have practice my gift of the gap if I then had little experiences, and probably even how I introduce props and whole hearted set up for just a shot.

One could have an intro to Fashion Photography in this course. I believe, like many others, No fashion Stylist simply means no Fashion Photography. I don't see how we can conduct a class by simply put a Fashion Photography Class with just a make up and hair/make up stylist. I'm sure many wouldn't mind spending a little more money if this class is put to better understanding. If the organiser needs a Fashion Stylist to be around, then simply pay for one, because the experience is priceless.

Indeed I do want to help so many people in their form of portraits by improving their flaws, but how to when all travel pictures are over the forum? It's makes me feel stupid in doing so.

Mind you, I have in the past conducted shoots twice, and those who sat through with me had pictures I thought which spoke louder. but my prequisites for the guys coming to sit with me througout the shoot was simple. All I needed was them to have used studio lightings before, knows hair light, key light and fill light. Because I knew I would never have explain fashion photography to them without their knowledge. Some came that fateful day and realised they can't understand what the rest the experienced ones were doing, and it kinda became a waste of time to them. Hey, I even bother to do a pre production before D day, anticipating each individual comfortability, and explaining what we'll go through. I wouldn't have done all this if not because I want them to see things right.

There is no way for somebody with no prior experience to start with Fashion Photography(even if that can be taught). What I would seriously suggest is that those who's interested carry on with Portraits with Pro-Image. Because one of my pal, came from his lessons, and did managed to get away with experiences. He then came to me later and saw new directions in his goal. So much so, he's actually keen in starting up his trade right now. I'm not saying I'll do this again, because I kinda click really well with him then.

One don't have to be qualified to be a Fashion Photographer, but one needs to know how it derives from, and mind you again, I've never close my door on anybody who PMs me for corrections or offering their services as an asst to me. If there was a start point, it begins with Portraits, that I strongly emphasise.

I didn't come into this thread to take business away from our friend here, because again, till now, I've never offered a solution in wanting to teach Fashion Photography. Ultimately, I will never be good enough to teach.

Again....Thank you once again for your kind thoughts. Don't worry no one is blaming you for anything. This is a free world. We can say all we want as it's Internet. It's good that you have tried conducting before. Thanks for the tips and pointers. I will look into hiring a Stylist to help me out, which mean less work for me. :thumbsup:

As a photographer I learn from all walks of life. Some from newbies and some from experts people like you.

Please do contribute more if you have more valuable tips!

Pro Image said:
Again....Thank you once again for your kind thoughts. Don't worry no one is blaming you for anything. This is a free world. We can say all we want as it's Internet. It's good that you have tried conducting before. Thanks for the tips and pointers. I will look into hiring a Stylist to help me out, which mean less work for me. :thumbsup:

As a photographer I learn from all walks of life. Some from newbies and some from experts people like you.

Please do contribute more if you have more valuable tips!

So long as we know what we're learning, that's what's important for the general public. My pal's Yee Kian, he swears you taught him lots when he joins you on your course. Well done...
:)

pointblankshots said:
Ultimately, I will never be good enough to teach.

I know nuts about Fashion photograghy. Absolutely nuts! Zilch! Kosong!

But I do know a little about teaching. Been a teacher for 16 years before certain unpleasant circumstances terminated my teaching career.

What I know is that if I apply what I consider to be adequate standards to qualify as a teacher, I will never teach!

Teaching and learning is two way. It goes on all the time. Teaching forces me to clarify my thoughts and precepts in order to simplify and communicate to my students. My students in turn stimulate my thinking, giving me new ideas to work on. I never lose by teaching. Even to just one student. And if humility be the order of the day, my students and myself both learn. Hopefully "students" and "teacher" both learn.

I think if we think of teaching as a learning process for teacher and students, we all can teach and learn. Some perhaps better on one side of the process than the other.

pointblankshots said:
So long as we know what we're learning, that's what's important for the general public. My pal's Yee Kian, he swears you taught him lots when he joins you on your course. Well done...
:)

No prob bro....cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies.