fashion photography

Status
Not open for further replies.

excentrique

Apr 7, 2002
east
skyetan.multiply.com
Hi clubsnappers,

I am a professional freelance fashion photographer who is currently working for a few publishing magazines. I would like to see a show of hand on how many people would be interested to attend a 1 day workshop on studio fashion photography.

The charges would be $150 for a full day session on basic lighting, camera works. Participants will be required to bring their portfolio for review and critique. 1 professional caucasian model will be provided for the workshop for test shoot. Please click on the below link to see the current model which is showcasing in current porfolio "road series".

To view some of my works, please check out my temporary website at http://skyetan.multiply.com
Interested parties, can also send me an email to recommend on what other topics they would like me to cover.

Participant should have at least some basic knowledge of photography and will be pre-selected for the course. *Hobbyists not recommended.*

Skye

Hey Skye

Your PM mailbox is full... :) Yup, I'm interested in your fashion photography workshop.

Rgds

excentrique said:
Hi clubsnappers,

I am a proffessional freelance fashion photographer who is currently working for a few publishing magazines. I would like to see a show of hand on how many people would be interested to attend a 1 day workshop on studio fashion photography.

The charges would be $150 for a full day session on basic lighting, camera works. Participants will be required to bring their portfolio for review and critique. 1 proffesional caucasian model will be provided for the workshop for test shoot. Please click on the below link to see the current model which is showcasing in current porfolio "road series".

To view some of my works, please check out my temporary website at http://skyetan.multiply.com
Interested parties, can also send me an email to recommend on what other topics they would like me to cover.

Participant should have at least some basic knowledge of photography and will be pre-selected for the course. *Hobbyists not recommended.*

Skye
If all the non-professionals here on this this board are not hobbyists, what are they? If they are not making a living out of photographer, they are hobbyist!

excentrique said:
I am a proffessional freelance fashion photographer who is currently working for a few publishing magazines...

excentrique said:
1 proffesional caucasian model will be provided for the workshop for test shoot...

you spelt 'professional' wrongly...twice.

Deadpoet said:
If all the non-professionals here on this this board are not hobbyists, what are they? If they are not making a living out of photographer, they are hobbyist!

Hmmm... I'm not a hobbiyist for sure. I want to conduct a workshop for intermediate photographers who wants to build a portfolio strong enough for magazine work. I would have to pre- select the photographers to ensure that they have a certain level of competency before I can then be sure they would understand what I will be teaching, and that they would truely benefit from the workshop. This is my honor to them.

I think i let my work measure for themselves. If you like what you see, and think that it is good enough for you, please step forth and thank you very much.

excentrique said:
Hmmm... I'm not a hobbiyist for sure. I want to conduct a workshop for intermediate photographers who wants to build a portfolio strong enough for magazine work. I would have to pre- select the photographers to ensure that they have a certain level of competency before I can then be sure they would understand what I will be teaching, and that they would truely benefit from the workshop. This is my honor to them.

I think i let my work measure for themselves. If you like what you see, and think that it is good enough for you, please step forth and thank you very much.
never said you are not a professional and never questioned if your work is "strong' enough, however, everyone else who are not a professional is a hobbyist, and if hobbyist is not encouraged ... hmm, I guess, all amateur is not encouraged to sign up. In your second post, you clarified that the course is for intermediate, should have said it in the first place. Just my 2-cents, and with my marketing hat on.

ya, the post does carry a certain tone of 'elitism' about it. some people might not take it down so well. also, perhaps can elaborate more about the course syllabus?

it is a bit contradictory when you say 'basic' lighting will be taught, but only intermediate level photographers WITH portfolio will be considered. if they are interested to move on to the next level, ie, magazine work, i'm sure they must have already established more than 'basic' lighting skills. hence, a clear course outline and syllabus will be appreciated.

thanks!!

Stereobox said:
ya, the post does carry a certain tone of 'elitism' about it. some people might not take it down so well. also, perhaps can elaborate more about the course syllabus?

it is a bit contradictory when you say 'basic' lighting will be taught, but only intermediate level photographers WITH portfolio will be considered. if they are interested to move on to the next level, ie, magazine work, i'm sure they must have already established more than 'basic' lighting skills. hence, a clear course outline and syllabus will be appreciated.

thanks!!

I'm terribly sorry if you take my earlier gesture as such. I was never meant to be elitist. As I will be conducting an intermediate course, I won't have the time to elaborate about simple things like exposure, light metering. The main focus will be on camera works, aesthetics, appreciation and application. That is why amateurs are not advised. I don't wish to waste other people's time and money because I don't believe in being slipshod in my workshop. I hope to offer value to people who genuinely need them. That is why I am not catering this workshop for everyone in clubsnap.

I have not decided on the syllabus of the course yet. And is open to modifcation and feedback from interested parties in what they would want to learn indepth issues and consideration factors in fashion photography.

Well my team and I are considering of holding a workshop for beginners in the future. It all depends on the response we get. We are definately not in any way evading young photographers from getting the opportunity to attend our workshop. But simply we do not have the resources and time to do so now.

I hope this would clarify any misunderstanding or doubts you have. I wish not further to engage in this discussion anymore as I do not see any value in it. Hereby I would just like to get along with the response of the participants. Thank you for the feedback.

Regards,
Skye

Deadpoet said:
never said you are not a professional and never questioned if your work is "strong' enough, however, everyone else who are not a professional is a hobbyist, and if hobbyist is not encouraged ... hmm, I guess, all amateur is not encouraged to sign up. In your second post, you clarified that the course is for intermediate, should have said it in the first place. Just my 2-cents, and with my marketing hat on.

Pardon me, please do not say things on behalf of all the people. Interested parties would be those who are genuinely seeking to build a portfolio that is commercially viable. Please do bear in mind that I am not marketing now. Conducting courses isn't my way to survive and why would I be teaching my own trade to everyone? If you're not interested please kindly refrain from making judgemental remarks like this. I am not the one for you to argue with as my time is precious. I do not wish to further pursue this issue with you anymore.

Have a nice day.

My remarks are in fact judgemental, but they were fueled by the remarks *Hobbyists not recommended.* I wonder how you started out as a photograper? Were you born as a professional? Not maybe not, but I am sure you were born at the very least, and intermediate photographer.

There is no intention to pick a fight with anyone, but if someone wants to, by all means. Have some sense of humor. By the way, with your attitude, good luck with the class or whatever venture lies in front of you.

Hey hey guys! Let's go easy on this shall we? Its a good thing that Skye wants to guide 'intermediate photographers who wants to build a portfolio strong enough for magazine work.' so let's just leave it to be! Im a newbie around here and i was a little taken aback when i read his replies. But alas, i put myself in everyone's shoes and voila, i see where they are coming from. No elitism, no hierachy archetypes here but think wide angle, not telephoto. we are all doing this for the love of taking pictures!

I myself for one truly believes in taking pictures for the fun of it, otherwise where's the fun in photography?

ilovehouse said:
Hey hey guys! Let's go easy on this shall we? Its a good thing that Skye wants to guide 'intermediate photographers who wants to build a portfolio strong enough for magazine work.' so let's just leave it to be! Im a newbie around here and i was a little taken aback when i read his replies. But alas, i put myself in everyone's shoes and voila, i see where they are coming from. No elitism, no hierachy archetypes here but think wide angle, not telephoto. we are all doing this for the love of taking pictures!

I myself for one truly believes in taking pictures for the fun of it, otherwise where's the fun in photography?

Thanks, I truely appreciate your kind gesture to pipe down the situation. I wrote to invite people with no expectation to hear such heated sentiments. I like what you say about fun in photography. And I truely share common beliefs with you too.

Thanks you for being understanding. I was only trying to help people who wants to seek a better portfolio for themselves. Apart from it, I don't believe in holding such a big class where people can't really interact with one another. I can't cater to everyone even though I really wish I could. I am just a human afterall. That's my reason for only inviting people who expects more out of just regular photography hobby. I shall not explain myself any further after this mail. I think I have made my points clear enough. And I look forward to your participation. Thank you

Well, that's settled! Sadly, i cant join lah. Dont have a good enough portfolio yet! Will work hard at it! Thanks! :)

Venture to his 'Photos' tab and you'll see more of his work. :)

Zplus said:
I'm not worthy!!!! :bsmilie:

But Skye, there's only one pic on your site. :)
Care to share more?

what's the hoo-haa about?!

All the guy said was that hobbyists are not recommended.

That to me is a perfectly sensible sentence.

Some of u guys here are hobbyists, random protrait/nature shots.

Some are aspiring fotographers, wanting to work with professional models/stylists etc.

What he wanted are people who already have a basic folio and techniques, those who wish to pursue this hobby to a magazine level. That's all.

Yes, perhaps amateur would have been a more suited word (coz a hobbyist can be quite ai zhai too) as Deadpoet pointed out, but wouldn't amateur sound even more insulting?

excentrique said:
Thanks, I truely appreciate your kind gesture to pipe down the situation. I wrote to invite people with no expectation to hear such heated sentiments. I like what you say about fun in photography. And I truely share common beliefs with you too.

Thanks you for being understanding. I was only trying to help people who wants to seek a better portfolio for themselves. Apart from it, I don't believe in holding such a big class where people can't really interact with one another. I can't cater to everyone even though I really wish I could. I am just a human afterall. That's my reason for only inviting people who expects more out of just regular photography hobby. I shall not explain myself any further after this mail. I think I have made my points clear enough. And I look forward to your participation. Thank you

dun be too bothered man, they are missing the point.

some people are too fuc.... ana. to comprehend what you are doing. instead of expressing if they are interested... post a whole lot of unrelated rubbish.

Status
Not open for further replies.