Fashion Photography(starts on 23 Jan 2005)

Status
Not open for further replies.

MissDi

Jan 3, 2005
Sg
www.pss1950.org
Hi...

FASHION PHOTOGRAPHY COURSE
This course is designed to enable the students to develop lighting techniques for glamour, beauty and fashion photography. The course syllabus covers lighting techniques for both indoor and outdoor location shoots. There will be sessions where models are hired for the shooting sessions. Participants are required to provide their own film. Model, makeup artist and stylist fees are not included in the course. Students may like to have their images taken during the shoot to be scanned into Kodak PhotoCD and have the chance to use the Society’s large format Epson Stylus 7600 professional printer for printing. Upon completion of the course, the students are required to submit a portfolio of 6 pictures for assessment. A course certificate will be issued to students who clear the assessment.
Duration : 6 weeks, 2 hours per session
Course Fee : S$150 (member), S$250 (non-member)
Language : English/Mandarin
Pre-requisite : Basic Photography Course
Instructor : Goh Kim Hui

Course Syllabus
(Students of this course must have knowledge of the use of a 35mm camera)

1.Introduction to the equipment used in fashion photography. Lighting ratio and the effects of soft and hard light.

2.Lighting methods: high key, glamour shots, mood shots. styling and makeup for fashion and glamour photography.

3.Studio fashion shoots with model - face shots (glamour and beauty shots.)

4.Outdoor fashion shoot - shooting with natural light. methods used to modify lighting on location.

5.Studio fashion shoot with model - full-length shots.

6.Critique and course wrap-up.

You can e-mail Kellyn/ Diane at pss1950@singnet.com.sg for more details.

hello,

I would like to know a couple of things:

1. When does the course start?
2. How much would the Model, makeup artist and stylist fees be for each session?

thanks

MissDi said:
Hi...

FASHION PHOTOGRAPHY COURSE
This course is designed to enable the students to develop lighting techniques for glamour, beauty and fashion photography. The course syllabus covers lighting techniques for both indoor and outdoor location shoots. There will be sessions where models are hired for the shooting sessions. Participants are required to provide their own film. Model, makeup artist and stylist fees are not included in the course. Students may like to have their images taken during the shoot to be scanned into Kodak PhotoCD and have the chance to use the Society’s large format Epson Stylus 7600 professional printer for printing. Upon completion of the course, the students are required to submit a portfolio of 6 pictures for assessment. A course certificate will be issued to students who clear the assessment.
Duration : 6 weeks, 2 hours per session
Course Fee : S$150 (member), S$250 (non-member)
Language : English/Mandarin
Pre-requisite : Basic Photography Course
Instructor : Goh Kim Hui

Course Syllabus
(Students of this course must have knowledge of the use of a 35mm camera)

1.Introduction to the equipment used in fashion photography. Lighting ratio and the effects of soft and hard light.

2.Lighting methods: high key, glamour shots, mood shots. styling and makeup for fashion and glamour photography.

3.Studio fashion shoots with model - face shots (glamour and beauty shots.)

4.Outdoor fashion shoot - shooting with natural light. methods used to modify lighting on location.

5.Studio fashion shoot with model - full-length shots.

6.Critique and course wrap-up.

You can e-mail Kellyn/ Diane at pss1950@singnet.com.sg for more details.

HI there,
I thought all are included inside the course for just paying $250 for non-member and $150 member.I'm sorry for being too rude :sweat:

it is stated that such costs are not included in the course fees. Puffish is right to ask.

Btw, any feedback on the course contents, facilities at PSS, etc from previous course participants. pls PM me if there are sensitive or inappropriate comments for posting online. use discretion please. thank you.

I have talked to a staff from PSS.
She doens't know the fees.
According to her, I'll only know how much the fees are when i sign up and talk to the instructor in charge...

It'll depend on the number of students in a class.

Wonder why Miss Di has yet to reply this thread.
Not very helpful IMO. :nono:
Reflects badly about the school too.

I think I rather go for selegie 217, same price but an intense 5 hr course.

Wah ...... like that also can ...... if there are not much people in the course, does it mean you will have to provide your own model, stylist, makeup artist .... etc etc?

Now I am really beginning to wonder how much more hidden cost are there ...... :dunno:

i think it is fair. i am sure if the enrolment is too low, the course may be postponed. otherwise, such out-of-pocket cost per partcipant will be high. collectively, it may be higher than the course fees.

Puffish said:
I have talked to a staff from PSS.
She doens't know the fees.
According to her, I'll only know how much the fees are when i sign up and talk to the instructor in charge...

It'll depend on the number of students in a class.

Wonder why Miss Di has yet to reply this thread.
Not very helpful IMO. :nono:
Reflects badly about the school too.

I think I rather go for selegie 217, same price but an intense 5 hr course.

Hi...
THere will be 3 sessions of model shoots as per instructor for this course.
Each person will be paying additional $50 or more depending on the model engaged.
Hope this answers your question.

MissDi said:
Hi...
THere will be 3 sessions of model shoots as per instructor for this course.
Each person will be paying additional $50 or more depending on the model engaged.
Hope this answers your question.

hmmm...nice attempt but I think u din answer their question :think: u ve indicated a minimum but no capped amount :sweat:

I think they will prefer the other way around "$50 or lower " :lovegrin:

LOL ... Upzz for you

$50 or more ....... so how much more? Can more = 10 x $50? No one knows. I know providing a course is hard, but then when you provide such a course, you should have costed in the models, styling, etc etc before putting up the amount. Thus the idea of risk taking.

You should put in the "possible little students" clause where you charge based on the accessories, model and other administrative in.

I think in terms of fairness, you should have a fixed amount rather then variable amount.

Your siputed amount is considerably lesser then your competitors on the surface, but then, if you costed in the other hidden cost, chances are you may be even charging more then them.

I believe how it works is that there is a min no. of students per class before a class can commence. I think it's min 6 people. As such, it is unlikely that each session you will need to pay more than $50/pax as it will be S$300/session.

As far as i am aware, PSS do not earn from these sessions and model fees varies from model to model. It is no difference as compared with the Model Shoot organised in CS.

Of course, if there's more than 6 pax, you will prob pay less but similarly have less time to shoot.

Hence, i believe MissDi has answered the question, abeit not very clearly. :)

nemesis32 said:
I believe how it works is that there is a min no. of students per class before a class can commence. I think it's min 6 people. As such, it is unlikely that each session you will need to pay more than $50/pax as it will be S$300/session.

As far as i am aware, PSS do not earn from these sessions and model fees varies from model to model. It is no difference as compared with the Model Shoot organised in CS.

Of course, if there's more than 6 pax, you will prob pay less but similarly have less time to shoot.

Hence, i believe MissDi has answered the question, abeit not very clearly. :)

Which means they should have at least cost it into their course. If each session you will be paying $50/pax, does it mean for 3 sessions of practical you better prepare $150? They should had just use the min no of students as a guide to cost in the cost rather then leaving it open ended.

If model fees varies from model to model, then you should put on a fixed model fee and have the model agency agrees to provide the model within the means.

Can I safely put it this way .......

Other then $150 (members) or $250 (non-members), prospective students are to prepare a sum of $50 - $500 for other possible hidden cost? Sound nuts, correct? How would you feel if you are the student and upon signing up for the course, you realised you have to pay very much more then you originally signed up for? (I am quite touchy about this because I had signed up a course on a "not for profit" organisation once, just to find out the hidden cost are more then the course fees itself)

also study the organisation providing the courses. PSS has been providing such courses for 'donkey' years. track record, credibility, etc....

blurblock said:
Which means they should have at least cost it into their course. If each session you will be paying $50/pax, does it mean for 3 sessions of practical you better prepare $150? They should had just use the min no of students as a guide to cost in the cost rather then leaving it open ended.

If model fees varies from model to model, then you should put on a fixed model fee and have the model agency agrees to provide the model within the means.

Can I safely put it this way .......

Other then $150 (members) or $250 (non-members), prospective students are to prepare a sum of $50 - $500 for other possible hidden cost? Sound nuts, correct? How would you feel if you are the student and upon signing up for the course, you realised you have to pay very much more then you originally signed up for? (I am quite touchy about this because I had signed up a course on a "not for profit" organisation once, just to find out the hidden cost are more then the course fees itself)

I understand where you are coming from.. However, sometimes it's difficult to factor in the costs etc. For example, as you mentioned, model costs varies from agency to agency and model to model. Sometimes, those in the class may opt to choose a more exp model to shoot or happens that the model is more suitable for particular theme, then it's up to the members in the class to decide.

I think usually the instructors will inform the class of how much they have to pay and if they object, usually common ground can be established as long as not ridiculous. (ie. $10 or free model shoot). :)

I do agree that this is something PSS can look into. Maybe at least provide a guide on the total costs?

reachme2003 said:
also study the organisation providing the courses. PSS has been providing such courses for 'donkey' years. track record, credibility, etc....

So is MDIS, SIM, Informatics, ...... etc etc .......

nemesis32 said:
I understand where you are coming from.. However, sometimes it's difficult to factor in the costs etc. For example, as you mentioned, model costs varies from agency to agency and model to model. Sometimes, those in the class may opt to choose a more exp model to shoot or happens that the model is more suitable for particular theme, then it's up to the members in the class to decide.

I think usually the instructors will inform the class of how much they have to pay and if they object, usually common ground can be established as long as not ridiculous. (ie. $10 or free model shoot). :)

I do agree that this is something PSS can look into. Maybe at least provide a guide on the total costs?

And I had provide a solution for it, have a fixed budget on the model cost, present the budget to the model agency and let the agency have the headache.

I sincerely doubt there is such a thing as a model that is more suitable for a particular theme. The photographer should find means of makig the model suitable and not having a suitable model in the first place. Just think, a rich man wanted you to shoot his wild daughter and present it to be demure, I sincerely doubt you can tell the rich man, "Tell you what, why don't you change your daughter".

So if the instructor tell the class "You have to pay another $50 for the model", but you do not want to pay it as your budget for excess is maybe $10, can you get a full refund? Since this is hidden cost not reflected?

Thanks Miss Di for the info,
and thank you blurblock, nemesis32, reachme2003 & AhV for the arguements.

Those points are indeed valid and PSS or even other schools should be
more detailed and transpaernt about such cost.

Imagine the shock I'd be in if not for checking out before deciding which
school to enroll.

Minimal cost would be $150+($50x3) = $300

thanks again.

blurblock said:
And I had provide a solution for it, have a fixed budget on the model cost, present the budget to the model agency and let the agency have the headache.

I sincerely doubt there is such a thing as a model that is more suitable for a particular theme. The photographer should find means of makig the model suitable and not having a suitable model in the first place. Just think, a rich man wanted you to shoot his wild daughter and present it to be demure, I sincerely doubt you can tell the rich man, "Tell you what, why don't you change your daughter".

So if the instructor tell the class "You have to pay another $50 for the model", but you do not want to pay it as your budget for excess is maybe $10, can you get a full refund? Since this is hidden cost not reflected?

I guess it's just a matter of opinion. I certainly think photog cannot perform miracles. Just like i cannot hire Lydia Sum for a slimming ad (the after pic, not the before pic :bsmilie: )

Like i have said, this is something PSS should have considered it and instead of us arguing it online, i think the best is for Puffish to find out the exact costs and see how it's being done. If there's area he feels he's not comfortable, he should bring it up to PSS and see what they say.

Puffish said:
Thanks Miss Di for the info,
and thank you blurblock, nemesis32, reachme2003 & AhV for the arguements.

Those points are indeed valid and PSS or even other schools should be
more detailed and transpaernt about such cost.

Imagine the shock I'd be in if not for checking out before deciding which
school to enroll.

Minimal cost would be $150+($50x3) = $300

thanks again.

No problem man... Just trying to help. To find out the exact costs, best to get it from the horse mouth (ie. PSS). i should think that's probably the minimum cost but it could be less as if there's more student then cost-share and it will be lower.

nemesis32 said:
I guess it's just a matter of opinion. I certainly think photog cannot perform miracles. Just like i cannot hire Lydia Sum for a slimming ad (the after pic, not the before pic :bsmilie: )

Like i have said, this is something PSS should have considered it and instead of us arguing it online, i think the best is for Puffish to find out the exact costs and see how it's being done. If there's area he feels he's not comfortable, he should bring it up to PSS and see what they say.

Correct, but do you think a model agency will provide you with a Lydia Sum? Within the specific scope there is was to make a person look more presentable.

Status
Not open for further replies.