FAQs

Status
Not open for further replies.

spiritfan

Feb 10, 2005
hi mates!

i have a canon A80 that have been using for quite a while. Qns is , i see a couple of pix where the subject is sharply in focus n the background is blurred. how do you get this kind of effect .

thnx

Hope this helps.
1) Use aperture priority mode then use the widest apperture possible for your cam
2) The distance between the camera and the subject must be shorter than the distance between the subject and the background

Or you can blur the background using photoshop

Canon A80 that you have is a digicam. Digicam has a smaller sensor size as compared to a DSLR. Though reducing distance between cam and subject and increasing aperature size helps, it is very difficult to duplicate the shallow depth of field that you have seen. ;)

So BUY BUY BUY...

Ben1223 said:
2) The distance between the camera and the subject must be shorter than the distance between the subject and the background

What's the theory behind this? I think you forgot about the focal length, it should depend on the focal length.

spiritfan, try full zoom and open aperture and of course let the subject stands away from the background. You may not get the same result as those taken with D/SLR, that's one of the limitations of prosumer.

thnx guys !!!

yap , i ever shot using a normal slr...to get the effect is relatively easier though

AntZ said:
What's the theory behind this? I think you forgot about the focal length, it should depend on the focal length.

spiritfan, try full zoom and open aperture and of course let the subject stands away from the background. You may not get the same result as those taken with D/SLR, that's one of the limitations of prosumer.

It's not a complete explanation but it's a simple guide.
I don't want to barrage him with too many things.
Even if I were to use a lens with a long focal length say a 105mm prime if I were to step back far enough the background will become sharp assuming it is not so far away.

With his camera I would suggest to take his subject outdoors (maybe a park) so that the background is far. But indoors he would have a hard time blurring the background.

I can still achieve some blur even with a short focal length (17mm) by closing the distance between my camera and subject, and opening up the aperture. The background is out of the lens's DOF by being relatively far.

8461Rusty_gate.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.