family potrait

Status
Not open for further replies.

spyke09

Dec 10, 2007
hey. recently i had a friend asking me to help her family take a family potrait. i've never done such a thing cause i don't know much about taking family potraits and hence had to reject cause i didn't wanna screw up something that should hold significant value to the family. but nevertheless i'm rather interested. what sort of gears are required for taking family potraits? like what sort of lenses do you use if you're on a dx dslr and do you shoot in RAW?

catchlights

Staff member
Sep 27, 2004
Punggol, Singapore
www.foto-u.com
when she ask you, sure roughly know your standard, wouldn't be so demanding, unless she see you carry many awesome gears and think you know how to create nice photos.

family portrait unlike wedding, the later is once a life time major event and it will not able to re shoot, yet so many people are so bold to take up the task even without what or how to shoot.

I would say just go ahead and shoot the family portrait for her, not nice and always shoot again...

go and borrow some portrait photography books from National Public Library, they even have books mainly talk about how to take family, kids and baby portrait.

these books will cover this subjects in very details, and with many sample photos to show you, far better than read from the posting.

hope this help.

Anson

Jul 31, 2006
ansonchew.com
www.ansonchew.com
Unlike event shooting, you have alot of time to review your shots with the family members... I would say go for the experience... ;)

hidden3

Aug 20, 2007
Sengkang
www.flickr.com
Yeah, Just pick a suitable time, probably around 4-5+. The only problem you will get is arranging them i guess?

Xtol19

Dec 13, 2008
hey. recently i had a friend asking me to help her family take a family potrait. i've never done such a thing cause i don't know much about taking family potraits and hence had to reject cause i didn't wanna screw up something that should hold significant value to the family. but nevertheless i'm rather interested. what sort of gears are required for taking family potraits? like what sort of lenses do you use if you're on a dx dslr and do you shoot in RAW?
Gear is not as important as knowledge of posing, light and composition.

spyke09

Dec 10, 2007
thanks for the advice guys! really appreciate it :)

Reportage

Nov 24, 2008
for group portraits, i usually run into 3 main groups.

a) The Royal Family.

b) The Soccer Team.

c) The Superstars.

For most families though, you have to be some sort of director and tell people where to stand...most of the time is easier if you know their relationship to the family.

sherchoo

Sep 14, 2005
Bukit Panjang
sherchoo.myphotoalbum.com
What kind of gear needed depends on the type of settings.

Things to consider are size of the family, location and lighting availabilty. Wider lens may be needed for a bigger group. In most cases, the kit lens will suffice. Indoor lighting most of the time is insufficient. Flash (with bouce/difuusion) would be needed in this case. For family potraits, that's basically what you'll need, gear wise. This is actually the easy part. Techniques, posing, etc is the one you should get familiar with. Like mentioned earlier by bro catchlights, go read up books. There's lots of tips on how to take a good decent potrait shot. Don't have to invest in a fortune on books. Just go down to NLB and there many available.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom