Family photo outdoor how to do setting for best photo

nainghtunlwin

Jul 18, 2009
dear all ,
My college(senior) from office they request from me to take family photo at west coast park on November.But i didn't have outdoor family photo experience. My gear is Sony alpha 350 and i have Sony F58 flash , mini softbox (never try outside before) , 50mm F1.8 lens , 18-70 lens and tokini 11-14 f2.8 this is all i have. please advise me do and don't and share for me setting for outdoor family shoot.

rgds,
naing

your gear is sufficient to shoot family photos.

but a question though: what sort of "family photos" do they want? lifestyle type? or a family portrait together?

dear all ,
My college(senior) from office they request from me to take family photo at west coast park on November.But i didn't have outdoor family photo experience. My gear is Sony alpha 350 and i have Sony F58 flash , mini softbox (never try outside before) , 50mm F1.8 lens , 18-70 lens and tokini 11-14 f2.8 this is all i have. please advise me do and don't and share for me setting for outdoor family shoot.

rgds,
naing

Firstly...your colleague's vote of confidence.

Secondly...if you don't have outdoor photo taking experience, then the only option is to use fully auto. Nothing wrong with that and nobody knows what you set.

However, if you want to experiment, then you can try AP or the other more commonly used SP other than bumping your ISO. Bring along the flash. Sometimes you need to light up the shadows in broad daylight. :cool:

Why not scout the location first, try some sample shots? See from what direction the sunlight falls, what makes for a nice backdrop, etc? Then you can just shoot full auto, with JPEG+RAW in case you need to do post processing. Bring your flash with the softbox or diffuser, and make sure you know how to use it as an off-shoe flash in case you need it to provide some side lighting.

Why not scout the location first, try some sample shots? See from what direction the sunlight falls, what makes for a nice backdrop, etc? Then you can just shoot full auto, with JPEG+RAW in case you need to do post processing. Bring your flash with the softbox or diffuser, and make sure you know how to use it as an off-shoe flash in case you need it to provide some side lighting.

TS already mentioned West Coast Park so any other location may be a no no.

As Rashkae pointed out...since you already more or less know the location, then go there and take some sample shots to try out. Bring whatever you need and try them out and see which combination suits you better.

Shoot more and post some sample shots here so we can give informed feedback.

dear all ,

rgds,
naing

You have 3 lens and you said this is all you have???? Many of us only kit len. For your family outing, 18-70 len will do the job.

dear all ,

rgds,
naing

There are no magic settings. You have to know how you want the pictures to turn out, and gauge the situation and do your settings accordingly.

You might want to read this...
http://www.gentleye.com/photo/photoart/advflash/index.html

Dear All ,

Thanks alot for your kind help I tried with your advise and it Work and they really enjoy their photos .

I would like to say thanks again.

Rgds,
N:thumbsup:

just shot..... no worry.