Familiar Corridor

toonified

Jan 5, 2012
1. In what area is critique to be sought?
-> Anything at all, new to photography and wish to improve

2. What one hopes to achieve with the piece of work?
-> My feelings towards this stretch of corridor.
This is the corridor I have been walking up and down countless times with my gf, be it happy or sad.
Colors dont seem to match the many different emotions I have for this place and somehow B/W seems to convey my emotions.

3. under what circumstance is the picture taken? (physical conditions/emotions)
-> Daylight, good lighting, lonely corridor.

4. what the critique seeker personally thinks of the picture
-> Something seems to be lacking which i can't put a finger to... maybe angle? B/W toning?

Walkway-BW-HDR-2-M.jpg

This seems a totally sad vibe, machiam broken up with gf or that the relationship has faced more hardship than happiness.

The end of corridor is somewhat too messy. The simpler a composition the more necessary it is to keep it clean because that's where people will pinpoint on individual elements and then try to guess its significance to the picture. Stuff at the sides can generally be ignored if they cannot be moved and not because you were lazy. Stuff directly in centre of the frame is what the subject generally is, so it's important to keep it so. This is a fairly common composition made popular, most often with pure overexposed or white light at the end. You'll want to think very carefully what you want to show at the end here. A grilled door has more significant meaning that merely saying "I cleaned up the front door". So should it be left wide open? Or slightly ajar? Or closed? Or having person(s) or object there? It all depends on you, and what you want to feel, are feeling and hope to feel.

There's several toning options out there. Nostalgia - sepia/brown; Futuristic - selenium/blue; Emotive - b/w. Choose which serves best, or sometimes there is no need to oversell the product so leaving it in colour is an option.

This is an interesting photo! :D I like the angle how you take this photo.
Where did you take this photo?
What I see from this photo is light coming out of darkness at the end of a tunnel.
Probably can darken more of the corridors or the four sides of the corridors, find a balance lighting if you can to make it more interesting.

Cheers!

I like the details of the walls. Feels like a scary corridor.

Thanks for everyone's kind comments!

Foxtwo: Actually I would say its equally happy/sad. Seems like this picture there was more darkness than brightness? If there was more white it would be a happier feeling?
Kamera79: This is just a normal HDB corridor. Maybe I should have stood closer to the door to have more white, so less black, but darken the black?
Sgdevilzz: erps.... totally different from what I was trying to portray. haha.

Thanks!

Thanks for everyone's kind comments!

Foxtwo: Actually I would say its equally happy/sad. Seems like this picture there was more darkness than brightness? If there was more white it would be a happier feeling?

It's not solely a white vs black issue. I think you may be trying to say too many things at the same time: conflicting emotions with inanimate objects. Instead of trying to fit the scene to your desire, you need to look beyond and craft your desire as the scene. Whether be it changing the location and/or involving human subjects.

What you have been through with your gf, the happiness and the sadness, has nothing to do with the corridor. Because you can also say the same thing with the lift or staircase. The corridor is not the main subject here, your relationship is. So conceptualise that instead.

TS, I quite like your photograph. It's got nice symmetry and sense of depth.

However, I just cannot make the connection between the photograph and your concept of 'familiar corridor'. It has a very sombre mood to it.

Does your gf stay in the flat at the end of the corridor? With the current composition, everything leads up to that flat, so it is best if it is of significance.

Because of the strong leading lines that directs attention towards it, you can then introduce details that the viewer can pick up, as mentioned by foxtwo. Leaving the door ajar, or maybe a pair of shoes at the door (not sure if you can see it), or maybe the two of you hugging at the door :lovegrin: