Falling....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello bros,

i would like comments/feedback from our bros here at clubsnap.com

for clubsnap.jpg

First of all, i took this picture is only for one purpose.. I want to show how fast it can actually travel.. Sorry i can't really remember the name of the structure lah.. So i'm clueless what the structure is called... so apologies on that.

I feel that the angle and also feel that i could zoom in more to show the real impact.. Do you guys think so too? :think:

Secondly, i apologies if the title is not appropriate at all.. No luck in finding a good title for it... :sticktong

And lastly, i want our bros to comment on the colour, the tone of the picture... This is what you snap what you get kind of picture.. Meaning that, there's no manipulations except cropping and resizing.. The other reason of me asking your comments on the colour and the tone, etc is because, i want to know whether i should recalibrate my laptop screen..

Many thanks and have a good night. :)

First of all, i took this picture is only for one purpose.. I want to show how fast it can actually travel..

Show how fast it can travel? Eh... can't see what's traveling in your pic? Can't see the cart carrying the people. Try it again when there's still some light. The cart will be traveling fast and so you'll need a fast shutter. Shooting this at night won't capture anything but those towers unless you use flash and you're near enough to light the thing.

Sorry i can't really remember the name of the structure lah.. So i'm clueless what the structure is called... so apologies on that.

They call it the G-MAX Reverse Bungy, see www.gmax.com.sg

I feel that the angle and also feel that i could zoom in more to show the real impact.. Do you guys think so too? :think:

Exactly! Get nearer to the thing and shoot 'em people while they're taking off or landing towards the ground.

Secondly, i apologies if the title is not appropriate at all.. No luck in finding a good title for it... :sticktong

No apologies needed. Come on... you can be more creative than that? ;)

i want to know whether i should recalibrate my laptop screen..

Nah! Your monitor's fine unless it's really crap. Get your picture taking skills better then talk about color management afterwards, in which time you'll be getting a "real" monitor.

Many thanks and have a good night. :)

You're welcome. :cool:

You should post your settings of how you took the pic.

The pic is a bit blurred, try sharpening the image after you resize, it works wonders :)

I have a question: why is the title "falling" if the capsule is travelling *upwards*?

Actually when i first saw the title and picture, i thought it was quite apt as a creative alternative way to interprete something we are familiar with.

the towers of the reverse bungee look to me like (bowling) pins that are about to topple...

i appreciate how the picture made me zoom out of my usual perspective, ignore the carriages, crowd, screaming, music etc that so commonly comes to mind when we think about the reverse bungee at Clarke Quay. :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Calebk makes a valid point.
Also even if it's not moving very fast, all we have to do is to allow a slower shutter speed for the trails. Of course, we know that it is high-speed.
The flares didn't help in this image, the lights and reflections were all blown, and the sky, was it really reddish that night?

3147472183_b52ddb2dfe_m.jpg

I hope you dont mind me posting my version; [and I hope the mods dont mind too for comparison sake] I shot this too sometime back.
You could have got something like mine in fluorescent colors, not reddish / orange / incandescant. Ive waited for the cage to be thrown up, and by usig slower shutter speed, I managed to get a faint line of light of the cage too as it went up and down. Perhaps you could consider taking from the opposite riverbank, on the steps.

Calebk makes a valid point.
Also even if it's not moving very fast, all we have to do is to allow a slower shutter speed for the trails. Of course, we know that it is high-speed.
The flares didn't help in this image, the lights and reflections were all blown, and the sky, was it really reddish that night?

yes, at that point of time, it was raining soon after that.. if i remembered properly...

u're right actually.. i feel that the big flare, the one in the middle, is distracting...

oh well.. must retake the picture again. Thanks for the comments ;)

Actually when i first saw the title and picture, i thought it was quite apt as a creative alternative way to interprete something we are familiar with.

the towers of the reverse bungee look to me like (bowling) pins that are about to topple...

i appreciate how the picture made me zoom out of my usual perspective, ignore the carriages, crowd, screaming, music etc that so commonly comes to mind when we think about the reverse bungee at Clarke Quay. :thumbsup:

Thanks bro...

3147472183_b52ddb2dfe_m.jpg

I hope you dont mind me posting my version; [and I hope the mods dont mind too for comparison sake] I shot this too sometime back.
You could have got something like mine in fluorescent colors, not reddish / orange / incandescant. Ive waited for the cage to be thrown up, and by usig slower shutter speed, I managed to get a faint line of light of the cage too as it went up and down. Perhaps you could consider taking from the opposite riverbank, on the steps.

somehow i like your version actually. the colours are much cooler... :)

btw, dont mind me asking, what did u used for the white balance for that picture bro?

3000k? is it less than 6000k? thanks so much bro :D

composition wise - much too tight. there is no breathing space.

exposure is hard, your timing makes it such that the contrast (between brightest and darkest point) will render a tricky exposure beyond the dynamic range of the camera, from what i see.

i would prefer a cooler white balance.

in any case, personally i would not shoot this scene from where you were, it is hard to isolate effectively, and therefore no matter how it is shot, whether it is your shot or chegu's, the scene is effectively cluttered.

somehow i like your version actually. the colours are much cooler... :)

btw, dont mind me asking, what did u used for the white balance for that picture bro?

3000k? is it less than 6000k? thanks so much bro :D

Colour temperature is a confusing topic to grasp. Lower colour temperatures are actually more yellow-ish, and higher colour temperatures are actually more blue-ish, but in order not to confuse yourself, you have to look at it as a value, not a colour.

Here are some colour temperatures that are standard across the lighting industry:

Match flame: 1700K
Candlelight: 1850K
Tungsten: 3200K
Moonlight: 4100K
Horizon daylight: 5000K (value changes a lot depending on atmospheric conditions and cloud cover)
Daylight (HMI/fresnel light): 5600K
Electronic flash: 6000K or thereabouts
Overcast daylight: 6500K

In real life, though, daylight colour temperature can vary a lot, depending on your position on the globe, cloud cover, etc.

Now comes the application: if you set your camera's Kelvin white balance to a certain value, for instance, 3200K, any lights of colour temperature below 3200K will look yellow-ish in frame, and any lights of colour temperature above 3200K will look blue-ish. That is why when you accidentally set your WB to Tungsten and you go outdoors to shoot, you get a blue colour cast.

So now you roughly know how to work around your colour balance. If you see that your primary light source gives a colour cast, you'll know which way to work your kelvin colour temperature towards.

Notice I did not discuss fluorescent lights? This is because there are just too many fluorescents in the market, with varying colour temperature. It's also because fluorescents, in addition to colour temperature as a colour reference, also have another unit to judge its "whiteness": Colour Rendering Index (CRI) See here for more details on fluorescents: http://www.edbergphoto.com/pages/Tip-fluorescents.html

If i didn't know what the structure was in the first place, I would think that the title is apt.

Why? Falling structures...like bowling pin toppling over. But TS explanation of what goes up must "fall" down just doesn't quite fit in IMHO.

Status
Not open for further replies.