Falling sick whilst under probation

Status
Not open for further replies.

dancemania

Oct 1, 2006
central
If a person has worked for less than 2 months and falls ill, can the person call in sick without getting an MC? Anyway, there is no pay for the missed day at work.

If a person has worked for less than 2 months and falls ill, can the person call in sick without getting an MC? Anyway, there is no pay for the missed day at work.

You can ask your boss about that, right? It is always responsible to inform them if you are sick. =)

sick leave can only be used if the person passed probation, or after 6 mths.
Can take it out of his/her pay check :D

You need an MC, willy nilly, otherwise your evaluation will be affected. However if you think your performance is solid, then go ahead and go without one, once or twice.

U will be considered for unpaid leave for that if u are not confirmed. However for some company if u hit a certain amount of unpaid leave, it will affect your year end bonus. Do check with your HR side.

For me i had clocked ard 5 days of unpaid leave (2 are mc and the rest are forced leave due to company annual leave) throughout my 6 mths probation period and guess wat, now my bonus is at stake....

paid sick leave is a entitlement for confirmed employees only. there are some exceptions. for an employee under probation, such benefit is usually not extended to them. so, how the co will treat the such absence from work is up to them. ask them.

No choice - got a swollen eye. Anyway, I went to the doc and got 2 days mc. They will probably deduct 2 days pay right?

Last edited:
No choice - got a swollen eye. Anyway, I went to the doc and got 2 days mc. They will probably deduct 2 days pay right?

cross ur fingers. Most likely they would deduct 2 days. Call them and ask.

When I look at all your threads.....you seem to have started quite a few working in an office related threads with very unsual circumstances/problems to you or someone you working with or you just very new to the working world yourself. Or you doing some survey in disguise. heheheheh...

Take my company for example. You just started working and if have not been confirm (which is usually 6 months probation or 3 months if you are really good and they scare you would leave) you don't get any medical leave. So what is left for anyone falling sick would be to take no pay leave. Once you are confirm in the company you get up to 14 days medical leave per year with the company.

Anything beyond that is up to the management to accept or reject and base on any other regulations setup by MOM ( pregnancy...eg).

Abit strict? Well in the company I work for, this is due to the fact we had a few smart asses who takes MCs for granted. What this buggers do is use all 14 MCs days alloted them to cover their taking a day off at the company's expense. Only after exhausting that do they apply to use their 14-21 days annual leave.

They felt it is their "right" to maximise it and so long as they can produce an MC to show they can not come to work and they still have balance MC days out of the 14 days allowed..they will push their luck all the way. Then when the 14 days for taking MC is finish, miracle of miracles...they never get sick anymore. Till next years alloment comes again. What I hate about this is the fact that on top of take advantage of the MC day(s) off, the company still have to let them claim the MC they bribe a doctor to write!

I have nothing against anyone playing hookie sometime but when you do this to escape doing work with the rest when it is more needed ( advance note to get everyone not to take leave to rush a project ..eg), bridging holidays every single time. This is how they play it. Funny how some people rationalise their job "RIGHTS" till they get fired when caught and pee in their pants.

I think in most companies, unless it is stated, will not allow you to take any MC and even claim for the bills. You would be surprise how this can be abuse by those not yet even confirmed in their job. It is like they care not to make a good enough impression on the company.

So if you find companies are not "kind" enough to allow it, you have to also look at it from their perspective too since we are talking about it. And I have closed one eye and force sick new staff to go home when they come to work. So as much as you want to ask for a consensus on the issue to backup your situation or just curious... well the only one that can answer you the most precise is the one you work for.

Last edited:
This was PM to me in private but I never really like to answer things like this in PM mode. So I rather answer it here openly to clear any air of perceived anger.

I thought kopitiam was a place for open discussion. May I ask why you sound so angry that I am asking those questions?

I am not sure where you find that I sound angry. If I was I would not have drop anything in here. I think I use " hehehehe" which some how it was meant to be a hostile expression on my part???? In your view :bsmilie:

I was just curious and throw in my observation as I can't help but see some similarity or behavior trait of interest in the topics. Not that I am pointing finger at anything or anyone in particular. If sensitivity is the reason for it, I have learned and will take note of it when it comes to sharing or participating in anything you start or in the course of interaction in replying you. Yes I like to learn about people in here and try to adapt myself around people. A habit of mine.

If it was really something that angered me, at the very least, I would be adapting wagging my finger stance in my writing, ranting and be off and not offer my own perspective of the topic at hand.

Which part of my message actually irk you to think otherwise can I asked?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.