FAKE sandisk cards floating around in Clubsnap

Status
Not open for further replies.

AReality

Jun 9, 2003
visualjournalist.net
Noticed that there are quite a number of "OEM" Sandisk Extreme CF cards on sale in Clubsnap.

Me and my friend happened to test one, acquired from someone in Clubsnap.

And they have all the FAKE signatures on them.
Can refer to this e-bay link on how to tell a fake from a real one.

Luckily in the end we didn't buy the fake cards; they're priced too cheap to be true.

thanks for the heads-up, areality!

hmmmm I think even in the mass order threads they are also talking about OEM cards... you mean those cards are fakes? suppose thats the case i think the mods would have taken action.

i think the mods are not really responsible for sales in b&s...they have clearly put buyer beware as one of the key guidelines. so ur on ur own buddy...

hmmmm I think even in the mass order threads they are also talking about OEM cards... you mean those cards are fakes? suppose thats the case i think the mods would have taken action.

How can one call a card that basically label itself as SanDisk in packaging but not a real SanDisk card, OEM? Wow, that's something new I learn for the meaning of the word OEM then.

hope that they will to keep such things out!

hope that they will to keep such things out!

I don't think the mods are anyone's shopping nanny. The warning "buyer beware" is clear. Also, please be neutral as long as the fake is not proven. Not all good deals are cheats, some fake stuff is even sold for regular pricing (which makes it less suspicious, ironically).
In the same way as you check a lens before buying one should also check the memory card before putting valuable data on it.
Personally, I prefer paying some $$ more but having an official bill and a shop to return the faulty stuff.

luckily I pull out my order. too good to be true.:sweat:

Not worth the save the $$$ if anything happen when the card fail.:nono:

I wonder sometime how do seller define "OEM" in the first place? If the card suppose to be a latest faster version, perform worst than the older slower version, why would you buy it in the first place?

I rather pay a bit more to buy the older version real SanDisk card which perform faster & it come with a life time warrenty.

Yeah. And I think some of those who bought it are trying to sell it off, indicating "non-authentic" packaging.

I think the people who import the items should know the difference between OEM and fakes. Chances are, they just use the "OEM" ruse to cover their backsides and confuse the issue further should they be busted.

:cry: I just got mine today and noticed that it was a fake one, any advice guys? :bheart:

Return it.

Or report it. Write to SanDisk, provide details of who, when and where you bought it from. This is important. You may be thinking of letting it go, after all, it's only 1 card and about a hundred+ bucks, but the person making the sale may have collectively made a huge profit from so many orders made.

What one of the posts in this thread mentioned is true: How can an OEM item not be called SanDisk, but still be labelled as SanDisk? This alone should set alarm bells ringing already. Besides memory cards, I've also encountered other products that make use of the "OEM" ruse to trick people - high end audio accessories like headphones, for example.

I think several (international) laws may have already been broken here. Somebody must be held accountable. True, let the buyer beware, but administrators are also free to draw the line and intervene if need be. For the sake of protecting its members, the mods ought to suspend suspicious MOs and ask for explanation before CS becomes a breeding ground for scam artists and dubious MOs.

the principle here is the goods is a fake - an infringement on using the sandisk name. it's not abt the card not as fast as the original. if the card is labelless i think that's fine. at the current state its not.

the principle here is the goods is a fake - an infringement on using the sandisk name. it's not abt the card not as fast as the original. if the card is labelless i think that's fine. at the current state its not.

Exactly right.

True OEMs will have (more or less) exactly the same specs as the original retail product, but with no label. If it's the other way around, then it's a blatant fake, not OEM. The moment there is a label on a product, people have the right to expect similar specs and performance as the full retail version.

Wat 'OEM'... nonsense lah... dun believe... ebay also selling...

I think several (international) laws may have already been broken here. Somebody must be held accountable. True, let the buyer beware, but administrators are also free to draw the line and intervene if need be. For the sake of protecting its members, the mods ought to suspend suspicious MOs and ask for explanation before CS becomes a breeding ground for scam artists and dubious MOs.

The admins are looking into this. Our scope, though, is limited to preventing CS from becoming a breeding ground for such scams as you have mentioned. Members are adviced to take necessary precaution when buying from our Marketplace.

Actually, this is also quite rampant in SLS and is not restricted to memory cards. Even RAMs are OEM. And to add to our consumer woes, even other brands such as Kingston are not spared.

I was at SLS and noticed the rather significant price difference, so I asked my regular PC guy why this was so. He mentioned that several shops have been fined/warned and had removed the OEM cards/RAMs from their shops after being complained. For this case, Kingston actually sent someone down and found that the RAMs were OEMs. There is a holographic sticker to differentiate the originals from the OEMs. Also some other manufacturing marks.

Just remember. If it's too good to be true, it usually is ....

Thanks for the scope TS. Didn't realise about the scam.... better to pay more. Money can be earned back but photos lost is lost forever...

Almost bought from one bugger.. lucky didnt as he insisted on transferring cash to him first :bsmilie:

If the "fake" refers to imitation as in like pushing off other CF cards for a premium SanDisk CF cards, or just the branding itself, then YES, there is a case.... IP infringment here...

If the "fake" you are concern on its the functionality, you might or might not have a case... because if they used the same technology of built, they would work same. Some fellow CSer had performed credible tests and gave their verdict of their tests... its worthwhile to read the many wonderful threads where people DO share on thei expeiences.. so don't be sad if u just get you OEM card yesterdsay, you might want to play with it first...

Well... a cent more on the product is a cent more wirth in the quality (excluding cases whee one is being rib-off)..

Status
Not open for further replies.