Fake medium format?

Status
Not open for further replies.

imagine_orange

Jan 19, 2005
Renoux

This guy tells me that his square photos are NOT done by a medium format camera (I thought it he was using thr Holga or some TLR because of vignetting), but he says all the pics were done in digital.

Any of u guys tried this?

Hmm... starting to believe that most photos will look better with square framing... Any theory why rectangular pictures were adopted as a norm?

benedium said:
Hmm... starting to believe that most photos will look better with square framing... Any theory why rectangular pictures were adopted as a norm?

it's not the frame, it's how you use the frame

All i know is that many fashion photographers use the square format to shoot because it's so much faster... don't have to choose between landscape & portrait. That's besides the point that medium format films are larger& give better quality prints.

benedium said:

maybe most films and sensors are rectangular for more flexible post processing so designers can choose to crop down to a square or use the extra space. Am I making sense?

okay, but this guy's work looks like it's "ACTUALLY" medium format & not digital...

Look at this photo...

http://www.deviantart.com/view/15914332/

benedium said:
maybe most films and sensors are rectangular for more flexible post processing so designers can choose to crop down to a square or use the extra space. Am I making sense?

I'd suggest it's been cropped square and a then PhotoShopped to produce the equivalent of light falloff (pseudo vignetting) in the corners. The clues are visible if you look hard enough. It's still a so so average shot though.

Ian said:
I'd suggest it's been cropped square and a then PhotoShopped to produce the equivalent of light falloff (pseudo vignetting) in the corners. The clues are visible if you look hard enough. It's still a so so average shot though.

Hehe... I see the evidence you speak off....
Think should be quite easy to have an action for this effect. ;)

Normally a uncropped medium format image are quite visible. This is one example scan full frame from a negative(totally no crop). Look at the 4 corners inside within the black border frame.

B_W_Highkey.jpg

Image was shot on RB67 Pro Sd using Fuji Black and White film. On a digital back, not all images have a gradual light fall off at the edge of the frame. This person fall off is just too obvious. All looks the same to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.