Fake medium format?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 19, 2005
Renoux

This guy tells me that his square photos are NOT done by a medium format camera (I thought it he was using thr Holga or some TLR because of vignetting), but he says all the pics were done in digital.

Any of u guys tried this?

benedium

Jun 19, 2004
www.photo.net
Hmm... starting to believe that most photos will look better with square framing... Any theory why rectangular pictures were adopted as a norm?

eikin

Apr 27, 2004
東京 Tokyo
benedium said:
Hmm... starting to believe that most photos will look better with square framing... Any theory why rectangular pictures were adopted as a norm?
it's not the frame, it's how you use the frame

Jan 19, 2005
All i know is that many fashion photographers use the square format to shoot because it's so much faster... don't have to choose between landscape & portrait. That's besides the point that medium format films are larger& give better quality prints.

benedium said:

benedium

Jun 19, 2004
www.photo.net
maybe most films and sensors are rectangular for more flexible post processing so designers can choose to crop down to a square or use the extra space. Am I making sense?

Jan 19, 2005
okay, but this guy's work looks like it's "ACTUALLY" medium format & not digital...

Look at this photo...

http://www.deviantart.com/view/15914332/

benedium said:
maybe most films and sensors are rectangular for more flexible post processing so designers can choose to crop down to a square or use the extra space. Am I making sense?

Ian

Feb 20, 2002
Perth Australia
I'd suggest it's been cropped square and a then PhotoShopped to produce the equivalent of light falloff (pseudo vignetting) in the corners. The clues are visible if you look hard enough. It's still a so so average shot though.

Zplus

Mar 16, 2002
Some equitorial, tropical isle
Ian said:
I'd suggest it's been cropped square and a then PhotoShopped to produce the equivalent of light falloff (pseudo vignetting) in the corners. The clues are visible if you look hard enough. It's still a so so average shot though.
Hehe... I see the evidence you speak off....
Think should be quite easy to have an action for this effect. ;)

Pro Image

Oct 31, 2003
Last planet from the sun
Normally a uncropped medium format image are quite visible. This is one example scan full frame from a negative(totally no crop). Look at the 4 corners inside within the black border frame.

Image was shot on RB67 Pro Sd using Fuji Black and White film. On a digital back, not all images have a gradual light fall off at the edge of the frame. This person fall off is just too obvious. All looks the same to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom