Status
Not open for further replies.

rty

Staff member
Jan 19, 2002
Singapore
IMG_2106a.jpg

Hi friend.

Think you've overdone the PS. The original sepia-toned one was great.

Did you burn in the soot to show that he's been through the fire and still faithful to the Holy Bible (with the glowing words)?

This is good but I would capitalise on it and make it vintage or B&W :)

I like this shot becoz the message of the shot is clear as day, but somehow the lighting seems a little imbalanced... maybe it's just me.....

StreetShooter said:
Hi friend.

Think you've overdone the PS. The original sepia-toned one was great.

Did you burn in the soot to show that he's been through the fire and still faithful to the Holy Bible (with the glowing words)?

:bsmilie:

No, the man was just being rescued from the coal mine....

I am trying to emulate the style of this photographer from Poland, Czarny Kwadrat, whose photographs look very much like paintings. What I got from him through email correspondence was just few high level tips on how to do it.... and apparently it's going to be a long and winding road for me to learn. I think one needs to know how to do oil painting first.

I like the effect potrayed in this pic. I guess the colors and mood works for me. Nicely done! :thumbsup:

SniperD said:
This is good but I would capitalise on it and make it vintage or B&W :)

Here is the B&W one... taken after a quick shower.

IMG_2095.jpg

Hi Ronnie,

excellent captures! I love your shots and they are very stylistic to me.

Cheers

rty said:
:bsmilie:

No, the man was just being rescued from the coal mine....

I am trying to emulate the style of this photographer from Poland, Czarny Kwadrat, whose photographs look very much like paintings. What I got from him through email correspondence was just few high level tips on how to do it.... and apparently it's going to be a long and winding road for me to learn. I think one needs to know how to do oil painting first.

I see. A few PS brush-stroke filters might help, but that's cheating, no?

In a way you've achieved what you set out to do. The lighting and highlights are dramatic, as in an oil painting.

The B&W one is very well done. Lighting control is down pat. The tones are very rich. I would make the dodging of the background a little rounder, to look like a backlight, rather than following the outline of the hat.

Thank you all for your comments.

StreetShooter said:
I see. A few PS brush-stroke filters might help, but that's cheating, no?

In a way you've achieved what you set out to do. The lighting and highlights are dramatic, as in an oil painting.

http://www.czarnykwadrat.republika.pl/ is the website of Czarny Kwadrat, the photographer from Poland, who I am trying to learn from. He just uses dodging & burning with PS brushes and some tweaking of color balances and saturation. He said no filter effects was used, not even sharpening yet I see his works always have this certain je ne sais quoi, amazing, isn't he?

SniperD said:
hahhaha... the B&W one looks too under for me.. not white burn outs..... heehhee

I think you are right. I just changed my PC and haven't calibrated the monitor yet. *sigh*

/me looking around see who I can borrow the monitor calibrator from. :devil:

Status
Not open for further replies.