Failing chinese

Status
Not open for further replies.

rubric

Apr 14, 2002
Somewhere East
lubitelee.blogspot.com
Asking all parents out there...What do you do when your kid struggles very hard with chinese, and often fails? My friend's son is mildly dyslexic and has huge problems coping with chinese as he gets the words and 'pangs' mixed up. He's coping reasonably well with other subjects. He's gone to a chinese tuition centre before but did not like it.

My friend is really at her wits' end and thinking of taking him out of public school and putting him into an international school. But the school fees are exhorbitant and I understand it's quite hard to persuade international schools to accept local kids. She's even considered migrating so as to give him a better chance at succeeding with another education system. Any suggestions on what to do, like recommend a kindly & effective local chinese teacher? Thanks in advance! :)

im not a parent but i hope i can help. which level is ur friend's son in?

rubric said:
Asking all parents out there...What do you do when your kid struggles very hard with chinese, and often fails? My friend's son is mildly dyslexic and has huge problems coping with chinese as he gets the words and 'pangs' mixed up. He's coping reasonably well with other subjects. He's gone to a chinese tuition centre before but did not like it.

My friend is really at her wits' end and thinking of taking him out of public school and putting him into an international school. But the school fees are exhorbitant and I understand it's quite hard to persuade international schools to accept local kids. She's even considered migrating so as to give him a better chance at succeeding with another education system. Any suggestions on what to do, like recommend a kindly & effective local chinese teacher? Thanks in advance! :)

Hmmm.... even I'm already a parents.. I don't know how to help on it.. my kid is quite ok in chinese.. basically his chinese is better compare to English...

I spoke to him in Chinese, then my spouse and the school spoke in english.

For the international school, if I'm not wrong. The school will not accept local kids unless the kids has been away from singapore for couple of years.. then the MOE will approve that.
For local kids to enroll an International school, not just the school approve, MOE also need to approve....

Will migrate solve the problem?

The main things, does ur friend want her kid to know chinese or not...

Hiee....

As an uncle to a dyslexic nephew.....i think the only way is to take it slow and understand the kids development. All parents want the kid to be the best of the best....but if the parent dont care and still want the kid to perform like mainstream than its just unfair and damaging to the kid.

My nephew was out of school for 2 years and transferred from a non-english 1st lang country......plus the fact that he was dyslexic....its was really a struggle for him and his single parent mom raising 3 kids.

His mum really took pains to everyday got through his school work and emphasized on the key dyslexic peoblem areas like spelling.....

Thank god....for his mums determination and the kids hardwork....my nephew has shown great improvement in his education and has a higher confident in his english inspite of his earlier reading problem.....

He is now in the slower paced primay 3 class . This class is slower in its pace and its been a great help to patch him up to get back to speed.

So the bottom line is....the parent and family members must be objective in addressing this dyslexic problem ASAP...identify and work towards helping the kid.

Hope these info would help.....

rgds,
sulhan

rubric said:

hi there... i empathize with the child, cos i'm also dyslexic. nowadays there are special programs for kids to attend for coping with dyslexia, and if he is certified as one, he'll be given special priviledges in school...

he'll be graded in a slightly different standard and he'll be given more time to finish his exam papers. find out from his school, i'm sure there are avenues to where he can seek help.

cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies.