Fad or Best Prices?...

Status
Not open for further replies.

cuxiaowang

Feb 1, 2005
I dont understand why that some buyers here can be led to exorbitant measures for an item that can be commonly available at almost any local dealer at a much more reasonable pricetag, new still!

a. a couple telezooms, SRP S$150/S$220 respectively, mint new with wty, going for 10% more than that used and 2nd hand?! free market as sellers might like to put, exploitation of fellow members i call it.

b. an oversized eyecup, that's more accessorial as it actually hinders (cuts off) peripheral vision when shooting fast sports, hence heavily crippling anticipation of activities moving into the frame, thats selling for like S$15-S$16 (local and overseas), going for what, 100% that?! imagine the profit line here if theres a whole bunch of order.

To be fair here, i have to put in my own experience,

a. the telezoom matter is a given, anyone who knows how to add and substract should be able to define that logic. the only 2 times when i think a buyer may be taken is , i. he allowed himself to so by being plain lazy to even ask around, ii. he is simply misinformed.

b. Early on when theres a growing fad in eyecups, i came across one but almost threw it away immediately straight after when i realised i cant factor for the speed of subjects entering my frame, ie the Minister strolling in from my extreme right, a car driving over from left, with the huge blockage. Dust gathers into static rubber cup easily and i do get irritation almost in a very short time. Plus the huge eyecup continue to gets into the way of storing away/drawing out the camera (esp when speedily needed so), so much so i am certain it WILL rip apart or away very soon.

Then again these are practical reasonings that, until experienced, may not draw attention of a buyer, especially a fervent one, away from a fad.

i am so frustrated with this cultural phenomenon here in this forum that i am not very surprised so say visitors may view as this very naive or silly. are we lacking substance as a serious photography forum, or simply a chat club for boys with expensive toys, who will jump into the every next fad.

I know i am almost assured to get flame for this, but isnt anyone here get the least bit the same querky feel i get here everytime some new ideas or 'MO' starts off here?

There is another possibility, no one will ever care to remark in this thread, 'cause except a Moderator or an Admin. those that do (there are a few usual suspects for this), may almost certainly banal this to hell or make a carefree joke out of this thread.

am i taking this too seriously or its just that alot of people here are seriously partying?..

How long did you take to type this post?

...a chat club for boys with expensive toys, who will jump into the every next fad.

Yah.. very often I think it's quite true.. eveyone seems to be buying expensive accessories for their equipment. But there always seem to be a good reason for them to get those beauties which I cannot justify for myself.

i am sure this is but the tip of the iceberg

cuxiaowang said:
I dont understand why that some buyers here can be led to exorbitant measures for an item that can be commonly available at almost any local dealer at a much more reasonable pricetag, new still!

a. a couple telezooms, SRP S$150/S$220 respectively, mint new with wty, going for 10% more than that used and 2nd hand?! free market as sellers might like to put, exploitation of fellow members i call it.

I am just guessing, maybe they are worried that when they buy new, they may end up with a lemon or dirty lens (though new). so buy a used one which is already tested working and maybe just maybe, if they are not satisfied return back to seller before 7 days is up with full refund :nono: ?
BTW, can make friends and maybe the seller provide some tips. (or just not easily available on the market new eg kit lens)

Anyway its good too, at least the price do not drop too much on the used market, just imagine, if someone sells it at 50% off new, the next seller with the same item may sell it at 48% off, and it keeps spiralling down, then ..... :sweat:

Aiyah, the item may not be sold at the posted price, so to a buyer IT IS still a saving of $30-$40 off new. so why not.

cuxiaowang said:
i am so frustrated with this cultural phenomenon here in this forum that i am not very surprised so say visitors may view as this very naive or silly. are we lacking substance as a serious photography forum, or simply a chat club for boys with expensive toys, who will jump into the every next fad.

am i taking this too seriously or its just that alot of people here are seriously partying?..
Don't worry, there are some serious people around in this forum too! But they are the minority, and not so vocal (they are just lurkers and peeps). Yes, I agree that there are some fads going around, as you mentioned: eye cups, then gaffering the whole camera up, .......... but then again, you can be bothered by it, or not, there will always be people doing all these things. Call them uninformed for not checking the current new prices, yes, I can't say much why they do that? I didn't study psychology. Maybe it is the itch of buying or reacting to an ad on the forum. It is something like eBay, there are many items that get sold there higher than the NEW price in the US! But its an auction, which by its own nature can be very addictive! (I am trying myself to stop from checking eBay :), but it so cheap sometimes!, and I can't get those things here).

One thing that does narrow the bandwith of this forum is those 'Buy! Buy! Buy! threads.........maybe that should be indeed toned down....there is already so much information about the quality of certain new/old lenses on the net, why repeat them again here......just a link will do? I am afraid that when these increases in the future, it will be boring to read the threads here, as it wil also be harder to find the more interesting threads.

What can we do as an individual? At least you have realised it is just that: a fad in many cases, although it can be useful in certain cases, they have sometimes been taken out of their context.

But is is a hobby for many, so there is some 'fun' coming out of thinking what next one needs to buy etc., etc....its part of the fun, so let it be.....

Hmmmmmm, what should I buy next?.........I need to support the economy!

Hong Sien

hongsien said:
Don't worry, there are some serious people around in
this forum too! But they are the minority, and not so vocal (they are
just lurkers and peeps). Yes, I agree that there are some fads going
around, as you mentioned: eye cups, then gaffering the whole camera up,
.......... but then again, you can be bothered by it, or not, there
will always be people doing all these things. Call them uninformed for
not checking the current new prices, yes, I can't say much why they do
that? I didn't study psychology. Maybe it is the itch of buying or
reacting to an ad on the forum. It is something like eBay, there are
many items that get sold there higher than the NEW price in the US! But
its an auction, which by its own nature can be very addictive! (I am
trying myself to stop from checking eBay :), but it so cheap
sometimes!, and I can't get those things here).

well said sir. glad you recognised the problem. but again you are
right, so what if its a problem. there almost nothing anyone can do,
fads and threads just grow. well, almost, but not impossible. i think i
am going to start a price awareness thread the moment i see something's
way off, no not within in that sales thread to be fair. rather possibly
as a seperate thread. will work something out. Of course contexts vary, but
sometime "No Banal pls" is a very good guard for covering up exploitation.

hongsien said:
One thing that does narrow the bandwith of this forum
is those 'Buy! Buy! Buy! threads.........maybe that should be indeed
toned down....there is already so much information about the quality of
certain new/old lenses on the net, why repeat them again here......just
a link will do? I am afraid that when these increases in the future, it
will be boring to read the threads here, as it wil also be harder to
find the more interesting threads.

On contrary i feel BBB calls are not the source of the evil here,
rather the plain naivette of new/recent/on-off members to be easily led
on /exploited by whats a "good deal". i just cant understand if my son
decided to pay someone close to S$30 for something thats selling for half that
everywhere else..or full new price for something thats well used!

ummm... your point being? :dunno:

think u r 2 serious liao..... or issit u kena some of the fad yourself and dun like it's outcome? :think:

well to be fair i did mention i did came by the eyecup and found its use to be more irritating than constructive, so i just cant understand why would anyone push to get a lot of orders of this item and no one here would mention the blindspots, and then getting a bunch of (under-informed?) fellows to cough up a near 100% profit margin, PRE-PAID. this reminds me of killer whales herding a school of sea lions so that they can be picked off in loads.

same goes why would anyone bid for a lens that selling cheaper new anywhere else at the turn of a head!?

the whole sense of the buying culture thing here buffles me.

I think he/she wants to avoid others to make same mistakes, or be forwarned not too pay too much.......I think it is best to learn from mistakes, but off course, not bad to inform others of current prices of stuff.

i did not 'kena' from the fad in the exact sense of the word. the eyecup was offered to me for trial after which 1 day , i returned it straight before i fear it breaks. no monetary exchange was involved as it was just a friendly gesture arising from my curousity of the fad in its early days.

nonetheless i am continually struck by how easily misled and "manipulated" (i hate this word really) that some of our fellow members have shown to be here. and worst theres a prevailing fear of standing up and getting "hammered" or 'side-butted' by those same lot of people whos into this exploiting biz!..

i am almost certain theres least a cliche here somewhere thats cross-supporting, cross-protecting [and cross-upping] each other action..haha.

Pertinant points you have made and well spoken.
However, knowledge is gleaned through experience......

cuxiaowang said:
i did not 'kena' from the fad in the exact sense of the word. the eyecup was offered to me for trial after which 1 day , i returned it straight before i fear it breaks. no monetary exchange was involved as it was just a friendly gesture arising from my curousity of the fad in its early days.

nonetheless i am continually struck by how easily misled and "manipulated" (i hate this word really) that some of our fellow members have shown to be here. and worst theres a prevailing fear of standing up and getting "hammered" or 'side-butted' by those same lot of people whos into this exploiting biz!..

i am almost certain theres least a cliche here somewhere thats cross-supporting, cross-protecting [and cross-upping] each other action..haha.

ain't this the "wonderful" thing about this forum... u get to know people using almost any cam thingys and is able to meet up, test test before committing.

Of course, if you follow the trend or "peer pressure" to buy buy buy and upgrade at every new fancyful things... then it a different story, it will still happen forum or not.

And yeah... I think you really take the forun too seriously. :bsmilie:

thanks Brother Zerstorer...you are right again, no pain no gain. perhaps S$30, or even S$200 is cheap to pay for [youthful?] naivette..all have had...I for one has paid much much more, however earlier on and unguided (not misguided).

dear Cyrn, the eye piece trial was not made via this forum, neither was it a pre-purchase trial. I picked up from an old friend when I saw him clearing his stuff. i can keep it if i like it, which i did not. On your own suggestion of 'test test before committing', i have never done so or expected it be allowed so, vice versa, as to me a raised intention is a verbal commitment - the seller on the genuity of the goods, the buyer on his payment as well his sound of mind then. As you have suggested thats your personal modus operandi here, do not presume it to be so for others as well. is this THE reason you join this forum then?

This story is not the point of this thread. the point is: willing seller, willing buyer...but wait! are YOU informed?
kind consider, fellow members, if your next order is relevant and if it is WORTH that relevance. at least check around. ultimately, as the seller would like to put it, "the money is yours."

hongsien said:
I think he/she wants to avoid others to make same mistakes, or be forwarned not too pay too much.......I think it is best to learn from mistakes, but off course, not bad to inform others of current prices of stuff.
So: as a start, since I am selling my Nikkor 35mm/1.4 AiS (boxed) and 55mm/2.8 AiS (boxed, with scratch on barrel) what are the current new prices of these lenses in SG, and what are the used prices in the same condition?....he!he! Optics are fine for both.....

HS

cuxiaowang said:
dear Cyrn, the eye piece trial was not made via this forum, neither was it a pre-purchase trial. I picked up from an old friend when I saw him clearing his stuff. i can keep it if i like it, which i did not.

This story is not the point of this thread. the point is: willing seller, willing buyer...but wait! are YOU informed?
kind consider, fellow members, if your next order is relevant and if it is WORTH that relevance. at least check around. ultimately, as the seller would like to put it, "the money is yours."

oic.... u had me :confused: :confused: till now.

Yep. Like u said... are u informed?... guess it the interest of the seller to market the product as it is and the onus of the buyer to do the homework.... useful or not varies from each individual to another... take your example, the eye cup might not be suitable for you.... but how about your friend?

cuxiaowang said:
thanks Brother Zerstorer...you are right again, no pain no gain. perhaps S$30, or even S$200 is cheap to pay for [youthful?] naivette..all have had...I for one has paid much much more, however earlier on and unguided (not misguided).

dear Cyrn, the eye piece trial was not made via this forum, neither was it a pre-purchase trial. I picked up from an old friend when I saw him clearing his stuff. i can keep it if i like it, which i did not.

As far as the buyer has to be informed, selling things in SG is sometimes a pain.......many instances there will be that buyers ask soooo many questions, and at the end, they say, sorry, no money, or trying to haggle the price till unreasonably low. All this makes it a waste of time for the seller.......if you are not interested in the first place go somewhere else!

Just as there are unscrupulous sellers, there are unscrupulous buyers too....

About the fad thing: I did notice the same thing here, but you see it everywhere, in fashion, shoes, even photography! One person has a certain style, and others will mimick that, you see it here, you see it in Europe, USA. You see it in the design world, autodesign.......

Hong Sien

Well, one man's entreprenuership is another man's loss... of cash :rolleyes:
One man's leadership is another's sheep-like tendency.
Some say zombie, some say sucker. :bsmilie:

CYRN said:
take your example, the eye cup might not be suitable for you.... but how about your friend?
He!he! His friend threw it away, lah!.......got you!

benedium said:
Well, one man's entreprenuership is another man's loss... of cash :rolleyes:
One man's leadership is another's sheep-like tendency.
Some say zombie, some say sucker. :bsmilie:

dea Cyrn, whether he keeps it, sells it, i tried it or ate it, is not the point here.

what i am precisely raising here is hopefully for more fellow members ard be cautious and conscious of what they are asking for or committing to.

you are right, we cant constraint either party to either actions but shouldnt someone speak up about whats happening at this point. That is merely what i am doing. making a point. thats all, no axe or powder to grind whatever.

btw Ben, i like your last line. it is the truth least.

Status
Not open for further replies.