Factors to consider in buying Prime Lens

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had used the 17-55IS F2.8 (on a 1.6 crop) and the 85 F1.8 (on a full frame camera), the latter gives me a better hit rate.

I would love to have a Full Frame camera...but... ... ...maybe next time.

Hmmm anyone knows anywhere which rents out lens, and how much they charge?
Actually, with the exception 1.6 crop camera, the two lenses and the FF camera was rented.
The FF was 5D, which gives me more flexibility since the ISO can still be rather clean when pushed up.

Check out the Commercial Services Provided subforum for rentals, I had the 5D + 85 f1.8 rented for two days for less than $100.

Awesome!! Those are the types of photos I am thinking of taking! :lovegrin::lovegrin::lovegrin:

If I don't have the budget ...would you recommend that I go for the f1.4 50mm lens or the f1.8 85mm lens to get results closer to those photos you have taken?

You are only 3-4m away? Woah...I used to think the 85mm is narrower than that...wonder if the 50mm lens will be too wide for this type of actions.

I was not using FF hence 85mm still enough to reach, I would say 50mm might be a little too short for stage performance type of shoot. I'll say you should go with 85 or even longer focal length lenses for this type of application. maybe you should rent or borrow the lens that you are interested and try it out and have a feel of the range that the lens offers before purchasing. :)

I was not using FF hence 85mm still enough to reach, I would say 50mm might be a little too short for stage performance type of shoot. I'll say you should go with 85 or even longer focal length lenses for this type of application. maybe you should rent or borrow the lens that you are interested and try it out and have a feel of the range that the lens offers before purchasing. :)

Oh, would you be able to estimate a range eg. 50mm can stand between x to y meters away, and 85mm from y to z meters away? Would like to know how far each lens will go for the type of photo you showed me.

:embrass:

Oh, would you be able to estimate a range eg. 50mm can stand between x to y meters away, and 85mm from y to z meters away? Would like to know how far each lens will go for the type of photo you showed me.

:embrass:

:bsmilie: i'm not that technical, never really tried measuring the range for different lenses. best that you can try it yourself. words are really difficult to explain lenses...;)

Ok, as for the lenses and distance and subject size, I came across this "calculator".

Personally, I have not tried it, so perhaps you can try and let us know if its a good gauge.

Ok, as for the lenses and distance and subject size, I came across this "calculator".

Personally, I have not tried it, so perhaps you can try and let us know if its a good gauge.

Thanks!
This calculator is cool! :cool:

I got this result when I tried Distance=12 feet, Height of Subject=4 feet:

"On a full-frame Canon digital SLR or a 35mm film camera, you will need a 89mm lens. With an APS-C digital sensor, such as found on a Canon Digital Rebel or Nikon D-series camera, you will need a 53mm lens. "

If I am using a regular (non-full frame) SLR eg. D70, should I be reading the 89mm or the 53mm? (How does the conversion work).

Looks like for a short distance of around 3-4m (12 Feet), I already need a rather long lens at 85mm?

If yours is D70, you would be referring to the 53mm.

If yours is D70, you would be referring to the 53mm.

Right...Thanks. ;)

To complicate matters...they are now coming up with 50mm F1.4 AF-S. Hai...probably want to hear more of the comparison between the old AF, versus the new AF-S (apart from the fact that you can use AF-S on D40/D60. Price difference around $200!

Anyone knows when exactly it's coming out?

Right...Thanks. ;)

To complicate matters...they are now coming up with 50mm F1.4 AF-S. Hai...probably want to hear more of the comparison between the old AF, versus the new AF-S (apart from the fact that you can use AF-S on D40/D60. Price difference around $200!

Anyone knows when exactly it's coming out?

Personally... I'd save the money first and shoot first.

Get a 50 f1.8 and a second hand 85 f1.8...
added up, they would be about the price of the 50 f1.4 AF-S ;)

Get a 50 f1.8 and a second hand 85 f1.8...
added up, they would be about the price of the 50 f1.4 AF-S

I would have liked to do that...the only issue is that I am keen to take photos of people moving (e.g. performances) rather than sit-down portraits. That's why I the f1.4 may give me abit more sharpness and abit better bokeh. (But the price difference is so much! which is why I still can't decide.) :sweat:

I would have liked to do that...the only issue is that I am keen to take photos of people moving (e.g. performances) rather than sit-down portraits. That's why I the f1.4 may give me abit more sharpness and abit better bokeh. (But the price difference is so much! which is why I still can't decide.) :sweat:

Yes, it'll probably be better in terms of sharpness and bokeh, but at f1.4, the DOF is pretty thin.... can you handle it?

Oh, I have not considered that before...actually you are right, given that there're movements, I may not be able to focus fast enough on a large aperture. (That's what you mean right?)

I shoot concerts sometimes, and having owned both a 50mm f/1.8 and a 85mm f/1.8, I think I can help you somewhat.

When I first got my 50mm, I often find myself getting shots that are too wide. I like it to be a little closer, so I got my 85mm and sold the 50mm. Even though now I still wish, sometimes, that I have a 135mm, I'm overall much, much happier with the 85mm.

Plus from what I can tell, the 85mm is so much sharper than the 50mm.

I also considered the 85mm f/1.4, but gave up on the thought because like what the previous poster said, big aperture means my camera might not be able to handle AFing with it. Plus I didn't think the slightly bigger hole is justifiable for the price.

Last edited:
Hi Alfred,

Thanks for the info. ;)
Just to get a better feel, could you let me know how far you normally are away from the subject (approximately) when you use the 85mm lens, and the 50mm lens (before you sold it)?

When you mention that your the photos under 50mm turned out to be too wide, how far were you sitting typically (approximately). And does 'too wide' for you mean that you can see at least half the stage length instead of being focused on one or two persons?

Status
Not open for further replies.