Fabric of Punggol

Status
Not open for further replies.

canoner

Sep 30, 2006
I took this photo somewhere in Nov this year to illustrate "The Fabric of Punggol". Yah, for those who stay in Punggol, you will know that this is the title for the Photo Competition which ended on 15 Nov.

I interpret the theme as this - The Fabric is the people (Punggolians), and I want to capture the moment which shows the people having a good time against a nice Punggol backdrop.

Camera: Canon EOS 5D
Exposure: 0.033 sec (1/30)
Aperture: f/4.5
Focal Length: 80 mm
ISO Speed: 1600
Exposure Program: Manual
Lens: Sigma 80-400 F3.5-F5.6 OS
Other info: Shot in raw and converted to jpeg. No other processing done, accept that I had to brigthen the photo a bit to make the sky bluer.

2099698770_e171e64a73.jpg

My own critique:

1. Photo is quite dark, but if I shoot it at a lower shutter speed, the basketball poles may be overexposed.

2. From one look, it does not show that the place is Punggol.

3. Where is the focus of the photo? The people or the sky (or both). This may 'confuse' the viewer.

Comments and Critiques are much appreciated :)

You're right on your own self-critique... let me add a little on what I think.

The branches and leaves on the top right hand are a distraction rather than an addition to the photo.

It would appear that the main subject in your photo would be the people playing basketball. Thus... I would suggest you get much closer and compose with them in mind. Right now, there are too many distracting elements. The grass in the foreground.. rubbish bin... people sitting around/wandering around...

But you captured the photo at the right time of the day. When the lights come on, and the sky still retaining a little of the colour. This is good :thumbsup:

Yup, that was what I thought - too much distraction. Have thought about cropping the image, but that would leave out much of the sky (which I like very much). And yes, I did notice the rubbish bin before I took the shot, but didn't want to remove it as it's too much of a hassle. Wait...looking back at the photo, I think it would be a good idea if I had walked closer to the players, hence leaving the rubbish bin out of the picture.

Thanks Yatlapball for your critique :)

as a photo, not for the competition you mentioned.

i agree with the branches at the top right is distracting.

but i feel the rubbish bin and the guy resting and the guy in blue (taking a drink or looking for something in the bag) are all part of the basketball court. they add interest / life to the photo.

may be make a square crop, ie crop away the top right branches?

i think the exposure is spot on.

If I recall correctly, I purposely included the top right branches into the picture to make it more, well, beach-like environment (think Punggol Beach). But I guess it becomes a distraction after reviewing it.

Wah Denniskee, your eyes are very sharp. I did not even notice the guy in blue under the basketball pole. Thanks for the comments.

I use the histogram to help me with the exposure. Do you guys use it often?

The pictures does not carry a Theme... does not look exciting!

Yup, that was what I thought - too much distraction. Have thought about cropping the image, but that would leave out much of the sky (which I like very much). And yes, I did notice the rubbish bin before I took the shot, but didn't want to remove it as it's too much of a hassle. Wait...looking back at the photo, I think it would be a good idea if I had walked closer to the players, hence leaving the rubbish bin out of the picture.

Thanks Yatlapball for your critique :)

I think the tree on right is fine. I suppose you want that in to strengthen the "Punggol" theme? Personally I wld try for a closer view, maybe right to the edge of the court and shooting upwards with the players as foreground and sky/tree as background wld lend a more dramatic effect. A wide angle or even fisheye wld increase the effect.

Hi Lightbrush, I think that is a good idea. The problem is that I am not that daring to take photos so close to the people for 2 reasons:

1. Singaporeans generally don't like strangers to take their photos. Wait kena scolded by them.
2. They may get uncomfortable and their 'poses' may be unnatural.

That's why I brought along my long zoom, but as it was dark, I could not really use the long end of the zoom.

Thanks for the comments.

i feel if you only include basketball players in action, then it is more like sports photo.

what your essence of this photo is to show case the people as fabric of punggol, so what i look for is people and their interaction with environment, not so much as to people action
(it is obvious what they are doing mah).

sorry doesn't work for me. the photo on is own is ok only and i don't see how it is the fabric of punngol. this activity can be seen for other town centres too so it doesn't bring anything unique abt punggol. the sky looks like it has been post processed.

Yup agree with you. I have also submitted photos of children playing in the playground with some prominent punggol flats in the background which (I think) fitted into the theme better. Just wanted to find out from the pros here about the photo which I have posted here. I seem to like this better than the other photos.

So I guess this photo did not capture the theme and it would be better to leave out other distractions like the tree branches and focus on the people. Oh, how I love this hobby. Hope to create better shots next time :)

Thanks again for all your C&C. Appreciate it.

sorry doesn't work for me. the photo on is own is ok only and i don't see how it is the fabric of punngol. this activity can be seen for other town centres too so it doesn't bring anything unique abt punggol. the sky looks like it has been post processed.

Hi Pokiemon. The photo has not been processed. Did not adjust any colour, only increased the brightness by a bit in DPP. Agree that it does not really fit into the theme. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.