Fabric chair -how to get rid of smell?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gymrat76

May 10, 2004
I have a somewhat strange question. I have an office chair which I use at home for when I use the PC. Now, I spend hours on the PC and this chair is like 2+ years old and its starting to smell of unwashed socks! :bsmilie: Guess its from sweat or whatever from all the time that's spent in it. Short of throwing it out and buying a non-cushioned chair, is there any way I can clean/de-odourize it? Chair is still in excellent condition, apart from the smell, so would be a waste if throw la :embrass:

There are quite a few ways around this, though I can't remember all off hand cos I'm falling asleep at the keys.

However, I will suggest Lysol... Works for me...

Most effective method... use a flame thrower :devil: :sweat:

Seriously, your chair need plenty of "air-ing". Put it out in the sun. (tho there seems to be a lack of it these few days)

Using Lysol is a good start but temporary. You need put your chair in the sunlight and let it "bake" abit. In the old days, my mom and I think alot of the older generation will tell you, that is the best way to get the smell out of your cushions on your sofa set. You don't need to wet it.

Don't try to shortcut by using a heater or some hair dryer..etc it does not seem to work when done that way and would infact make the smell worst. So just simply wheel the chair out to somewhere in the house that has sunlight streaming in for a few hours.

Sunning is not really an option... you know la, stay in HDB, nobody at home during the day and windows are tinted so don't get much direct sun also. And I haven't seen the sun much of late too :) How about dry cleaning or something? Or those vacuum cleaners that shoot steam out, would something like that work?

Thanks for all the input so far :thumbsup:

Gymrat76 said:
Sunning is not really an option... you know la, stay in HDB, nobody at home during the day and windows are tinted so don't get much direct sun also. And I haven't seen the sun much of late too :) How about dry cleaning or something? Or those vacuum cleaners that shoot steam out, would something like that work?

Thanks for all the input so far :thumbsup:

I stay HDB too wat heheh...well I guess if your block is align in such a way that the sun does not get into your home well you have abit of a problem then hehe. Maybe you need to bring it down stair.

These days, those long back swivel chair is not that expensive. Can get one for about $100 or less. If it is one of those, can always throw that away and get a new one to save the hassle. But if it is one of those better quality ones that cost like a few hundred then, you might have find some way to get the smell out.

I have tried quite a few ways and sunning is still the best way so far. Would love to see if anyone else here has a indoor way to solving this more permanently since we are in a raining season of sorts right now heheh...

I suggest you get a foaming carpet/upholstery cleaner.

Spray foam on to the cushion wait for it to dry (15 to 30 min) then vacuum.

Ntuc or DIY shop got sell .

Smell is due to bacteria.

Spray it with disinfectant spray like Lysol surface spray. But all these chemical solutions are only temporary. If it stinks too bad, you'd probably need to get a whole new chair.

SUN IT!
kill all bacteria. its free and had best result.. :thumbsup:

i had the same problem years ago

bring chair to corridor or anywhere outside house and apply generous amounts of baking soda mixed with disinfectant/anti-fungal powder to get rid of smell and bacteria

let it sit for an hour and then give the cushions a good 'spanking' b4 bringing it back

if you REALLY want to salvage it...........the best is bring it to your nearest furniture shop to have it re-upholstered in your favorite color or even change to leather or faux-leather... they can even adjust the level of softness or hardness .... should cost about $50 .......guaranteed to keep your backside free of rashes and fungus

Thx for all the good suggestions so far. One reason I'm hesitant about using chemical disinfectants is because I havi quite sensitive skin. I think if I sit for a prolonged period of time my skin will have rashes and such -unless I wear jeans all the time at home! :bsmilie:

Tried the poor-man's steaming last night. Squirted some water from the squirt bottle and used my clothes iron on the chair..wow, the smell was quite strong! :ipuke: Then I put it by the window as it was quite windy last night, to air it. This morning the smell not so strong liao... but think its at best a temporary solution

Gymrat76 said:
Tried the poor-man's steaming last night. Squirted some water from the squirt bottle and used my clothes iron on the chair..wow, the smell was quite strong! :ipuke: Then I put it by the window as it was quite windy last night, to air it. This morning the smell not so strong liao... but think its at best a temporary solution

Aiyo..I told you already not to do that heheheh...using iron or a hair dryer will make it worst! heheheheh.....okay lah...so now you know.

Once you get some sunlight, just take it down stair and sit near by in the shed for about an hour lah heheh or see if some one can look after it for you or you chain it hehe.. Tell you..sunning it will help alot..

ortega said:
you can also try frabreeze or something like that

I second that! use Fabreeze, then sun it!

Status
Not open for further replies.