FA77mm-- how to test

simon72

Jan 10, 2009
Hi guys,
I'm a lurker here for quite some time already, and also a newbie with regards to pentax (DLSR for that matter.. ;))

I'm planning to buy K5+kitlens sometimes next year. But a local 'ebay' site, has a FA77 for sale for an insanely low price! :bigeyes:

I'm tempted to buy the lens even if I don't have a body yet!

So, I need you assistance regarding on how to check if the lens ok, and what are things to look out for when buying 2nd hand lens, in general.

Thanks very much.

if its very low and too good to be true, then it probably is....

if u want to risk it, without a camera there is nothing much u can test, except for cosmetics, the lens element any scratches, fungus or funny "stuff", any sticky aperture blades, the aperture ring clicks correctly...

any BF/FF have to test on the body...

Easiest way if delivery is by personal contact is to ask the seller to bring his/her Pentax cam and you use it to test on the spot. Photos of near distance objects (more than min focus distance of course) should look sharp enough even a x8 magnification.

Check the lens for damages, clear optics and working aperture. Check if the aperture blades are oily as well (should not be).

Gd luck

I think the seller you are referring to is overseas. There is no way you can really test the lens for sure.

Anyway, I think the quoted price is a typo error or the seller is playing games.....

Easiest way if delivery is by personal contact is to ask the seller to bring his/her Pentax cam and you use it to test on the spot. Photos of near distance objects (more than min focus distance of course) should look sharp enough even a x8 magnification.

Check the lens for damages, clear optics and working aperture. Check if the aperture blades are oily as well (should not be).

Gd luck

what does "aperture blades are oily" mean?;p

Hi guys,
I'm a lurker here for quite some time already, and also a newbie with regards to pentax (DLSR for that matter.. ;))

I'm planning to buy K5+kitlens sometimes next year. But a local 'ebay' site, has a FA77 for sale for an insanely low price! :bigeyes:

So, I need you assistance regarding on how to check if the lens ok, and what are things to look out for when buying 2nd hand lens, in general.

Thanks very much.

For that type of lens, it is safer to buy locally.

what does "aperture blades are oily" mean?;p

If there is oil on the aperture blades its just that
You will know it when you see it ;)

Maybe you can do a web search to see if it turns up any pictures for better illustration

If there is oil on the aperture blades its just that
You will know it when you see it ;)

Maybe you can do a web search to see if it turns up any pictures for better illustration

thanks! will do that. keep seeing descriptions on B&S saying aperture blades no oil and have no idea what that means...:D

look for reputable seller in ebay. view their feedback given by prev buyers. that's the best you can do...

Hi guys,

Thanks very much.

Hi guys,

Thanks a lot for your replies.

(my response is kinda late tho.. ;) )

anyway, the seller is still not responding up to now. he may be not interested to
part with his FA77 anymore.

Again, thank you and merry Christmas to all ! ! !

simon72