FA ltd lens made in japan n vietnam

112303as

Dec 26, 2010
Hi all can someone tell me is there any different in quality for the fa Ltd lens that is made in vie n Jap?

You are going to start a war with this question manz. It has been discussed extensively. Go google. But I must say MIJ is better than AIV. d:

You are going to start a war with this question manz. It has been discussed extensively. Go google. But I must say MIJ is better than AIV. d:

may i ask why it is better? is it based on objective test results and visible differences in the build quality? or simply a subjective preference that MIJ somehow feels better? :think:

I took several shots of Pentriot using Felixcat8888 and Pentriot copies (1 in AIV and 1 in MIJ) and I do not see any visible differences.

question is if you can get an MIJ, then why not get an MIJ? otherwise get an AIV if cannot. i might say if the equipment works for you, why bother where it came from?

I had two FA 43mm Limiteds that were Made in Japan.
One was definitely not as good as the other one in terms of CA.
My conclusion, you can still get a crappy copy even if it is MIJ.
The difference between MIJ vs MIV is more imagined than real imo.
I don't care where it's made so long as I can get it cheaper... :bsmilie:

The difference between MIJ vs MIV is more imagined than real imo.
I don't care where it's made so long as I can get it cheaper... :bsmilie:

agree with this. there was a time when MIJ was not positively received by consumers. the same is true of made in taiwan after that, and made in china now.

what is most impt is that manufacturers continue to find ways to supply customers with high quality products at a reasonable price.

i dun mind if its made in timbuktu if its cheap and good :bsmilie:

It's more about branding and perception. I know there can be differences from difference experiences here but let's put everything on the same baseline: suppose you have two exactly identical lenses at exactly the same price - one is MIJ and one is AIV, which would you choose? This would answer your own question.

It's more about branding and perception. I know there can be differences from difference experiences here but let's put everything on the same baseline: suppose you have two exactly identical lenses at exactly the same price - one is MIJ and one is AIV, which would you choose? This would answer your own question.

If can test, I'd go w/ the one performs better.

If can't test, and if prices are the same or similar, of course go for the MIJ one :) But that doesn't mean that MIJ one is better than MIV one.

If can test, I'd go w/ the one performs better.

If can't test, and if prices are the same or similar, of course go for the MIJ one :) But that doesn't mean that MIJ one is better than MIV one.

I go on the one which is cheaper... :bsmilie:

I go on the one which is cheaper... :bsmilie:

scenario is if they are exactly the same price :)

i think bro frank made a good point - if price is the same, then test both copies. its not a sure thing that the MIJ copy is better. :think:

I prefer pre-owned MIJ than brand new AIV.
Reason is simply pre-owned MIJ is lower price than new AIV.

i think i would go for a AIV lens because if my pics turn out not good..i can blame it on the lens :bsmilie:

i think every batch of lens, be it MIJ or AIV, will have its lemon..you just need to test it well before you buy :)

look at the da limiteds, they are all aiv but they are regarded as in the same class of mij fa ltd in terms of build and image qualities. proof that mij lens is not relatively better than the one that is not.

detritus said:
scenario is if they are exactly the same price :)

just teasing. :)

anyway, mij's have better appeal than aiv. it's a no brainer, but it doesnt mean it is better. as i've said if can get mij why not get it, otherwise settle for aiv. it will not differ much.

just teasing. :)

anyway, mij's have better appeal than aiv. it's a no brainer, but it doesnt mean it is better. as i've said if can get mij why not get it, otherwise settle for aiv. it will not differ much.

so... u'll settle for a lemon MIJ copy instead of a sharp AIV copy? :bsmilie:

kidding... ;)