FA 50mm f1.7 vs FA 50mm f1.4

Status
Not open for further replies.

longko

Sep 7, 2006
Balestier
Saw macrob bro selling a FA 50mm f1.7 so bought it to test out. I remember the f1.7 series are sharper than the f1.4, and from the test it seems to be true^^

The f1.4 seems to focus faster and brighter, but the sharpness and color on the f1.7 is better. Can't really decide which bokeh is better, but I prefer the f1.7.

FA 50mm f1.7 @ f1.7
50mm17.jpg

FA 50mm f1.4 @ f1.7
50mm14.jpg

FA 50mm f1.7 @ f1.7 100% crop
50mm17100.jpg

FA 50mm f1.4 @ f1.7 100% crop
50mm14100.jpg

Think the FA 50mm f1.7 will be my fav lens for Petography portraits^^

the colors on ur 1.7 looks more saturated.

longko, you got yourself a good buy.
The f/1.7s have always had a good reputation for sharpness wide open. And the FA version is a pretty rare lens.

I have found the FA 50 f/1.4s can vary in performance wide open. Having sold a sharp copy to a CSer some time back, I decided to get another one recently. Managed to test 5 copies before I settled on one for myself and for my client. Shooting at the same subject in the shop, found there were some slight variation between the copies when shot wide open.

Ya I happen to see it on sale when I came in to comment abt the SD card thread:sweat: See liao fast leg, fast hand go sms the seller:) Somewhat feel this lens works better on human than dogs in dim light:sweat: It's not as bright as the 50mm f1.4, will be a good outdoor portrait lens;)

Saw macrob bro selling a FA 50mm f1.7 so bought it to test out. I remember the f1.7 series are sharper than the f1.4, and from the test it seems to be true^^

Hi Longko ...

I have both.

In the past I have complained about the 1.4 wide open, but now I think I was focusing slightly off, because of the narrow DOF. It produces slightly softer-edged OOF highlights.

At f5.8-8 I think my 1.4 is slightly sharper edge-to-edge, but they're both good.

Your test suggests the 1.7 might be a bit sharper in the middle wide open. I must try mine again.

Tim

My copy of the 50mm f1.4 aren't bad wide open. As long the lighting aren't too bright, this is the result I can expect @f1.4.

100% cropped
50mm1414.jpg

well, congrats.:D

when I saw you testing the lens, I was wandering why you still want to buy after you already have a FA50/1.4,:embrass:

I think FA50/1.7 is a little sharper than FA501.4 between 1.7-2, I let it go because I finally plan to get FA43le or DA40le.:sweat:

hope you use it well. Thanks.

Hi guys i don remember seeing a Pentax FA50mm f1.7 unless u guys meant that it is a pentax F 50mm f 1.7...denotes the 1st generation AF prime for pentax . Quite heavy all metal construction with 6 aperture blades but in terms of saturation and sharpness. I prefer this over FA50 mm f1.4

I got my Pentax F 50mm 1.7 over ebay ...and that is 20 year old lense.

I have the pentax F .. Another sharper lense around is the pentax F 35-70 macro...Lookout for the F series as this represent the best in quality over the FA series in terms of details and construction

Hi guys i don remember seeing a Pentax FA50mm f1.7 unless u guys meant that it is a pentax F 50mm f 1.7...denotes the 1st generation AF prime for pentax . Quite heavy all metal construction with 6 aperture blades but in terms of saturation and sharpness. I prefer this over FA50 mm f1.4

I have the pentax F .. Another sharper lense around is the pentax F 35-70 macro...Lookout for the F series as this represent the best in quality over the FA series in terms of details and construction

Pentax FA50mm f1.7. ;)
FA50f1.7.jpg

As istDeS bro shown up there is a FA 50mm f1.7, think the production was only for a short period. Optical wise it should be similar to F 50mm f1.7, you are correct to say F series build is better. IIRC FA tends to have faster AF than F series.

I do own the FA 35-70mm macro, and I love it. Used it for all my studio petography and product photography^^ I somehow like the idea of cheapo lens yet commercial like result;p

Edit:
FYI, if numbers of aperture blades matters, FA 50mm f1.7 is 5 blades and FA 50 f1.4 is 7 blades.

Any Bro's here wanna sell there FA 50mm 1.4 ? sms me :D 94300021

Me too, anyone selling their FA50/1.4 or FA50/1.7 can call my mobile @ 98198091 :)
Sorry for side track your post.

Sorry, you need to count it again ;) The FA50/1.7 has 6 aperture blades and FA50/1.4 has 8 blades :)

lol Ya u are correct. Must be the lack of sleep, was wondering why the odd numbers when I was counting it:sweat:

Edit:
I don't mind u all post here to look for FA 50mm f1.4, but later this thread will be pushed down in a few days, so more luck if u post here http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=309036

Actually, I considering to let go of either my FA50/1.4 or DA40 pancake.
Need to raise funds to get a Sigma 10-20. Hopefully soon.
But I haven't decided yet... :(

So there is a F and there is FA :confused: ???
So is F better than FA ?
Anyway there is this sale on ebay which I tot was :sweat: as USD$400 for a F 50mm 1.4... till I read this thread.
http://cgi.ebay.com/Pentax-F-1-4-50...oryZ4688QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

BTW, he is also selling the 1.7X AF

F is better in term of build I guess. Since Pentax entered DSLR market, there's always a debet if F is sharper than FA. Mainly due to in DSLR we can view every pixel and keep taking a same shot till we get a sharp shot.:bsmilie:

Personally I prefer the FA series rather than the F series because I think they look much better. I'm not sure I agree about the build quality of the F series being better - the F series focusing ring is pretty narrow and plastic, plus the hard grey coloured plastic construction looks dated.

I'm wondering why a few people are looking for the FA 50mm f/1.4 when it is easily available new at several local shops and the price has actually come down a bit. I've bought 3 pieces and the recent one I got was cheaper than the earlier one I had.

I'm wondering why a few people are looking for the FA 50mm f/1.4 when it is easily available new at several local shops and the price has actually come down a bit. I've bought 3 pieces and the recent one I got was cheaper than the earlier one I had.

I also wondering the same thing^^; cos before my break from CS, OP tends to bring in quite a few 50mm f1.4:sweat:

Status
Not open for further replies.