FA 50mm F1.4 or DA 40mm F2.8

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrkumlan

Sep 25, 2009
North-East
I can't decide which to get to replace my fungus infected A 50mm F1.7. I had fun with the 50mm but usually i would prefer to have a wider angle, IQ wise are there alot of difference between a limited lens and a normal prime lens? :dunno:

One or two steps back and your 50mm becomes 40mm. The 40mm cannot be a f1.4.
Then again, if you are indoors and the 2 steps back is not possible, then different story. :)

IMO the 50mm is too long to be a normal lens, but at least it has f/1.4
40mm I think is still too long to be a normal, but at least more flexible than the 50mm... but 2 stops slower
Of course, if money is no concern then the FA 31mm f/1.8 Ltdwould be the best choice. Too bad the FA 35mm f/2 has been discontinued... as is the FA 28mm f/2.8, but the DA 35mm f/2.8 macro is still available, but again on the slow side. My choice would be the Sigma 30mm f/1.4, you might want to look into that

Pentax really should make a DA 30mm f/1.4...

I recently sold an FA50 and bought a DA40. I find the 40 length much more comfortable for casual shooting. If you really need a fast lens for low light or big bokeh, you might find MF just as useful (AF is not so controllable with a small DOF), in which case get a DA40 and supplement it with a relatively cheap M-series 50. Best of both worlds.

My problem is that i have a blo*dy great gap between my DA40 and my two manual 100s - but that's another topic.

I recently sold an FA50 and bought a DA40. I find the 40 length much more comfortable for casual shooting. If you really need a fast lens for low light or big bokeh, you might find MF just as useful (AF is not so controllable with a small DOF), in which case get a DA40 and supplement it with a relatively cheap M-series 50. Best of both worlds.

In that case, i'll just have to buy a DA40 to own the best of both worlds! :bsmilie:

After playing around with my A50/1.7, I realized that having a slightly shorter length like 40mm is better too, but the F2.8 is a bit of a deal breaker... I guess the best is to go down tomorrow and physically test it out before i make my final decision..

DA 40mm? This glorified lens cap from Pentax is 1 hell of a sharp lens! When I had it, and a newbie back then, I used it more often than the DA 70 or FA 50.

Maybe just a little off topic, there was a time when nobody wants DA 40mm in BnS and the WTS threads stays open for weeks (back then). Now I see so many WTB threads on BnS! *FAINT*

FA50 vs DA40 was the first lens dilemma as for me as a Pentax newbie too. Some helpful persons would suggest forgetting both and get the FA43. Then again there is this FA31 and DA35 that quite fits the bill if you extend your horizon slightly. (forget about discontinued lenses) But back to the topic, I finally picked both the FA50 and DA40 together. Yes, my first prime lenses! But back then prices were more affordable probably ~$700 for both. Yeah, I am rubbing it in abit here...

Ultimately, both saw pretty the same use or "disuse" nowadays. Ha. You can't go wrong with either but if you can't decide, get both lor.

FA50 vs DA40 was the first lens dilemma as for me as a Pentax newbie too. Some helpful persons would suggest forgetting both and get the FA43. Then again there is this FA31 and DA35 that quite fits the bill if you extend your horizon slightly. (forget about discontinued lenses) But back to the topic, I finally picked both the FA50 and DA40 together. Yes, my first prime lenses! But back then prices were more affordable probably ~$700 for both. Yeah, I am rubbing it in abit here...

Ultimately, both saw pretty the same use or "disuse" nowadays. Ha. You can't go wrong with either but if you can't decide, get both lor.

I don't mind helping you make either one more used than the other! just kidding~

Like many have already proposed, it really depends on your usage. If your aim to shoot in extreme low light, get the FA50 then find your own way to get the correct distance. There are many wedding photographers who use 85mm 1.2.

And if you often find your 50mm 1.7 restricting and almost always want to get a shorter focal length- I think you've already decided :)

Of course.. there is one last solution, which i prefer you not choose is, hop over to the N camp and get the 35mm 1.8

Last edited:
... Too bad the FA 35mm f/2 has been discontinued...

It is not discontinued. That's a silly rumor because for a time it wasn't listed on the Pentax USA website. You can still buy it.

My choice would be the Sigma 30mm f/1.4, you might want to look into that
No doubt that fast maximum aperture would be useful for available light shooting BUT this lens has a mixed reputation... BF/FF issues, very soft edge sharpness. Pwned by the FA 31mm f/1.8 Limited hands down.

Pentax really should make a DA 30mm f/1.4...
There's never been a DA lens that has a fast maximum aperture plus the FA 31mm is already available and a proven lens, so I don't see the need for it. A 28mm f/2 would be far more useful.

Aiyoh, we all have to discount your "Mr. Moneybags" advice. It's one or the other lah... not buy both! :eek:

Last edited:
I had both and now I have none of them!
The DA 40mm follows the Zeiss Tessar design that shows good even contrast doesn't lend itself to fast maximum apertures. It has very even center and corner sharpness. The FA 50mm on the other hand is a Planar design, Very high sharpness in the center but sharpness in the corners lags behind. Frankly I prefer the FA 50mm more over the 40mm even though the DA 40mm has the better build quality and Quick Shift. The DA 40mm is a good snapshot lens but imo once you get over the novelty of the compact size, you'll find that you'll wish the min. focusing distance was closer, plus the f/2.8 max aperture doesn't really throw the background OOF enough. The FA 50mm's two stop aperture advantage is telling and there are shots the lens can pull off that the DA 40mm can't achieve.

DA40mm have great advantage in ultra small size, which you can alway slot into ur bag anytime without adding much weight or space. :).
And DA40 was look low profile while you mount it on your DSLR, get less attraction and awareness from people. Which this is useful for shooting street candid.

Now days, both FA50 and DA40 price hike like crazy, regret never get a FA50 last time while the price was still good in BnS, but at least got my self DA40 with very decent price.:D

I can't decide which to get to replace my fungus infected A 50mm F1.7. I had fun with the 50mm but usually i would prefer to have a wider angle, IQ wise are there alot of difference between a limited lens and a normal prime lens? :dunno:

get both :p

It is not discontinued. That's a silly rumor because for a time it wasn't listed on the Pentax USA website. You can still buy it.

I was looking for it before. Look looked around for it again
Amazon has it listed as 'Currently Unavailable' http://www.amazon.com/Pentax-SMCP-F...1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1264126618&sr=8-1
B&H lists it as 'Discontinued' http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/180121-USA/Pentax_22190_Wide_Angle_35mm_f_2_0.html
Adorama doesn't have it listed
PentaxImaging doesn't have it listed

I think from the evidence it's more than just a 'silly rumour'

No doubt that fast maximum aperture would be useful for available light shooting BUT this lens has a mixed reputation... BF/FF issues, very soft edge sharpness. Pwned by the FA 31mm f/1.8 Limited hands down.

If money is no concern, then yes I would buy the FA31mm no question.
I can't justify spending that kind of cash on it though, and I think the Sigma 30mm f/1.4 is a great compromise in price/performance for myself.
I'm sorry if it makes you so angry that someone would choose a third party lens over possibility the best lens Pentax is offering, but please understand that it is my money at stake, not yours. Although... I don't mind if you sponsor me the difference :D

If money is no concern, then yes I would buy the FA31mm no question.
I can't justify spending that kind of cash on it though, and I think the Sigma 30mm f/1.4 is a great compromise in price/performance for myself.
I'm sorry if it makes you so angry that someone would choose a third party lens over possibility the best lens Pentax is offering, but please understand that it is my money at stake, not yours. Although... I don't mind if you sponsor me the difference :D

Why should I be angry at all? I'm not stopping anyone to buy what they want. If you think it's the lens for you then good for you, you're old enuff to make your own decisions. FYI I mention the Sigma because I have friends who have this lens and they encountered some of the issues I mentioned. Sorry I but don't give out handouts.

I was looking for it before. Look looked around for it again
Amazon has it listed as 'Currently Unavailable' http://www.amazon.com/Pentax-SMCP-F...1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1264126618&sr=8-1
B&H lists it as 'Discontinued' http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/180121-USA/Pentax_22190_Wide_Angle_35mm_f_2_0.html
Adorama doesn't have it listed
PentaxImaging doesn't have it listed

I think from the evidence it's more than just a 'silly rumour'

It is available new in Japan just like the 1.7x teleconverter. Not sure if the Japs take better care of their internal market though. At good prices for both as well. Think was ~$550 for the FA35.

Why should I be angry at all? I'm not stopping anyone to buy what they want. If you think it's the lens for you then good for you, you're old enuff to make your own decisions. FYI I mention the Sigma because I have friends who have this lens and they encountered some of the issues I mentioned. Sorry I but don't give out handouts.

Many lenses for Sigma needs to be calibrated for the body it's mounted on... that's a known problem. Have to actually bring it to their service center for the free calibration, but there's a question mark on whether warranty is required for free calibration.. sometimes they ask for a fee sometimes they don't.... otherwise I've been eyeing the ~$540 price at Tin Cheung HK.

If anyone is interested, there's a big thread on the Sigma 30mm f/1.4 here: http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=362928

I used to have Sigma 24/1.8 for awhile before i decided to let it go. I am was not really satisfied with the quality its provided. But it's a cheap lense with acceptable IQ.

Sigma lense have probkems about: CA, sharpness, soft and the 24/1.8 i owned has goddam slow AF.

Status
Not open for further replies.