F90x with SB80Dx?

Status
Not open for further replies.

xfathom69

Aug 8, 2002
Visit site
Anyone here using F90x with SB80Dx? Any prob? Urgent, cos getting flash tomoro.

what you wanna know? so far there's no reported problems with the SB80DX but if u wanna play safe, should consider the SB28 instead...

Originally posted by firefox13
what you wanna know? so far there's no reported problems with the SB80DX but if u wanna play safe, should consider the SB28 instead...

hmm i've read that apparently the earlier batches of SB28 has problems working with F90x

Originally posted by zhapchit
hmm i've read that apparently the earlier batches of SB28 has problems working with F90x
is that what happened to yours?

How abt the exposure? have anyone try slide with this combination?

out of curiosity, why are you getting a SB80DX, xfathom69? i'm probably wrong but isn't a DX flash designed for use with a D-SLR (for D-TTL)? doesn't that mean it might not be optimised for use with older SLRs like the F90x?

in other words, my point is that wouldn't a SB26 or 28 suit the F90x better, since they're the "same generation" and cheaper? just my 2 cents worth though, you might have other reasons for getting the SB80DX... like future upgrading... :D

Hi xfathom69
borrow your tread since you r on the topic of flash ;)

I was looking at Sigma 500 Super, and seem like it is as good as SB28 & SB80DX, but I would like to know if it have 3D Matrix metering and will it be able to use on a Digital Camera of Nikon Brand?

Thanks

Originally posted by Trevor_Tan
Hi xfathom69
borrow your tread since you r on the topic of flash ;)

I was looking at Sigma 500 Super, and seem like it is as good as SB28 & SB80DX, but I would like to know if it have 3D Matrix metering and will it be able to use on a Digital Camera of Nikon Brand?

Thanks

The bad news is the Sigma isn't even in the same league let alone class as the Nikon SB flashes.

The Sigma 500 Super has a pretty bad reputation for longevity with lots of failures being reported world wide.

In all honesty you'd be better to save up for a real Nikon flash or if you can't afford a Nikon have a look at Sunpak or Metz.

Thanks for the reply. Almost bought the sigma one last Wed lucky not enough money. So what will be a best replacement for a SB28DX or SB80DX? I know nothing else will beat them but I'm looking at a cheaper source here but would prefer not to get a second hand one if possible.

Thanks again.

I'm using F90x with 80dx. I posted awhile ago, but concluded that it might have been my technique.

Problem is, whenever I shoot in VERY dim conditions, the flash often goes off half a second after I release the shutter. (i.e. my finger is away from the shutter-release button already)

I was using this combination at Chinatown tonight, taking photos of the street parade and this freaking thing happened to me half the time. But since my f90x is second-hand, I'm sending it in to get checked. And also to get the software installed for the focus-beep.

Normal-lighting to dim-lighting conditions OK. That's why the problem didn't duplicate itself at Camera Workshop when I brought it down.

Wasted more than half a roll. Twice. :cry:

Given another go, I'll get a second-hand SB-26 speedlight. Very possibly non-compatible technology. The SB-26 is quite well-built anyways and has all the functions that you might possibly need. Not much difference from SB-28 but people still prefer 26 for the rugged built.

Other than that phreaking problem I mentioned, SB-80dx also tends to have a very flimsy catch for the battery compartment. However, the LCD interface is much improved over the 26. Single button for swivel also helps.

If you're thinking of going digital, I might still choose SB-80dx over SB-28dx. Bettter built. But that's a BIG might, coz I still haven't figured out that phreaking problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.