F828 or A1 ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

keith10w

Feb 2, 2002
Unknown
www.pictorial.com.sg
Should i wait for 828 or should i go ahead with A1 ?

Budget $2600 incl accessories.
Pls advise :dunno:

consider the Canon 300D? ;p

guess it depends on which camera suits your needs better. perhaps, you'll want to list down the reasons why 828 was your first choice and why A1 wasn't.

With your budget, you better understand what are your current and future needs for your camera. Once that part is done, you can decide on which camera is best suited for your needs.

actually i was using a f717 happy with it.....till i sold off for the upcoming f828...i am going of to a thai trip on 16/01/04, was wondering if i can get the f828 b4 that. afraid that i could not get the f828 to thai on time. so was searching for another alternative and came across the A1.

You still have a month just wait.
The Sony guy told me F828 will go
for $1799. The street price should be cheaper
than that.

300D and A1 prices are dropping. Next year
several budget D-SLRs are likely to hit the market.

If you're happy with picture quality A1 should be
the best value for your money. Check out.

828 is a little bulky. There isn't any review on this yet,
so hard to judge anything now.

If you plan to spend lots of money on lenses then
go for 300D, the image quality is stunning.
The lens bundled with 300D is really a steal for it's
image quality.

Wait some more , and Nikon F70 hits Singapore...... with your budget, you could get a relatively good DSLR.

mpenza said:
consider the Canon 300D? ;p

guess it depends on which camera suits your needs better. perhaps, you'll want to list down the reasons why 828 was your first choice and why A1 wasn't.
You want to start *that* again? :sweat: Read his title.

keith10w said:
actually i was using a f717 happy with it.....till i sold off for the upcoming f828...i am going of to a thai trip on 16/01/04, was wondering if i can get the f828 b4 that. afraid that i could not get the f828 to thai on time. so was searching for another alternative and came across the A1.
Oh dear. I see. I've talked to a camera shop owner. It seems that most if not all producers have significant shortages due to wrongly projecting demands. As you can see, Nikon, Canon, Sony all have delayed or shortage of their products.

As for your f828, I would suggest that you take a risk :sweat: Reserve the A1 and tell the guy you will pick it up on 14 Jan if the F828 is not available :eek: . If you have a good relationship, they won't mind (after all it is a sale).

Hey guys all of u r really helpful....will try to wait for the f828.....till 14/01/04 if not i will go ahead for the A1, got a feel with the 7Hi already......, feel less sturdy with me....was hoping that the f828 will feel more sturdy with its near to 1kg weight.... DSLR currently is a "no go" for me coz the prices of the lenses will be $$$....so :lovegrin: might use the A1 or 828 for a few years b4 i turn to a DSLR...

Kudoz for all clubsnappers...!! :blah:

keith10w said:
Hey guys all of u r really helpful....will try to wait for the f828.....till 14/01/04 if not i will go ahead for the A1, got a feel with the 7Hi already......, feel less sturdy with me....was hoping that the f828 will feel more sturdy with its near to 1kg weight.... DSLR currently is a "no go" for me coz the prices of the lenses will be $$$....so :lovegrin: might use the A1 or 828 for a few years b4 i turn to a DSLR...

Kudoz for all clubsnappers...!! :blah:

Check this out first. I believe these are samples from a production F828.

http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/sony/dsc_f828-review/gallery.shtml

Did you get to handle the 828 at the Imaging Asia exhibition at Suntec ? I have an A1, and after handling the 828, I still prefer the weight, size and ergonomics of the A1. The feel of the A1 is fantastic IMHO.

Image quality from the A1 is also excellent, although distortion at 28mm is quite noticeable. Sharpness and colours on the A1 are also top notch. The anti-shake feature is a blessing, and works like a charm for indoor and dim shots, or shots at long focal lengths at low ISO. Image noise is low for ISO 100 and 200, barely acceptable at ISO400, but really bad at ISO800 ( like most prosumers ). So I only go above 200 if I have no choice: a noisy shot is better than no shot.

I took my A1 on a month long trip to Europe and it worked admirably. If I had to make the buying decision again, I would still have bought the A1.

I fully agree with chriszzz, I did get a chance to handle both cameras. A1 feels really good for it's size and weight. I like the 28mm, AS, focus ring, fast AF, battery grip that allows AA, choise of flash, many other advance features. IMO the picture is really good, far from D7 series, sharp, good colour, low noise. This is still my personal choice.

I also took a few shots with F828 during last exibition in Suntec, I feel the AF is quite slow (IMO), may because of the indoor lighting. No complaints abt build quality, superb.

F828 pictures at dcresource show noise in shadow areas, may not be an issue when reduced.

Take a look at these images
http://www.a-digital-eye.com/F828Disney1.html

These shots are all taken at
ISO 64, so I've little concern here..
I prefer to see ISO100 pictures to judge noise performance. A camera
of this range should give you clean pictures upto ISO200 atleast.

If you like them, just go ahead. The picture quality and performance
should not differ too much from any prosumer cam. There's no a single best camera, it all depends on your personal taste, preferences and what you're willing to spend.

Good luck for you new digicam and wish you a enjoyable trip.

Caussway said:
I fully agree with chriszzz, I did get a chance to handle both cameras. A1 feels really good for it's size and weight. I like the 28mm, AS, focus ring, fast AF, battery grip that allows AA, choise of flash, many other advance features. IMO the picture is really good, far from D7 series, sharp, good colour, low noise. This is still my personal choice.

I also took a few shots with F828 during last exibition in Suntec, I feel the AF is quite slow (IMO), may because of the indoor lighting. No complaints abt build quality, superb.

F828 pictures at dcresource show noise in shadow areas, may not be an issue when reduced.

Take a look at these images
http://www.a-digital-eye.com/F828Disney1.html

These shots are all taken at
ISO 64, so I've little concern here..
I prefer to see ISO100 pictures to judge noise performance. A camera
of this range should give you clean pictures upto ISO200 atleast.

If you like them, just go ahead. The picture quality and performance
should not differ too much from any prosumer cam. There's no a single best camera, it all depends on your personal taste, preferences and what you're willing to spend.

Good luck for you new digicam and wish you a enjoyable trip.

hmmm....actually i was quite concern abt the plastic body of A1....but since its has a black body, shouldn't be a problem for me.....coz use to own the 717, which has a silver body....tends to scratch it ....and lines are pretty obvious....., for f828 i am worried bout the noise level when taking night shots.....but i prefer the availabilty of vertical batt pack/grip....and also i can spend more $$$ on the accessories.....like flash ....etc....for the A1, and also the A1 spec and design looks more like a DSLR to me..... :blah:

Might buy the A1 instead....gotta go to AP to reserve the A1 first.....hope that have to stock for Batt Grip by then...

Another thing you might want to know about the A1 is the heat factor.
If you take photos at any event, you can feel the heat from battery compartment on the right side the camera.
Its much hotter than the Sony F717 or 707-dunno about the F828 though.

Status
Not open for further replies.