F80d

Status
Not open for further replies.

stl

Apr 7, 2002
Visit site
Anyone know the price of the F80D body and the following lens?

What do you think if i purchase together these 2 lens?
- Zoom AF 24-50mm f/3.3-4.5D OR Standard AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8
- Zoom AF 70-300mm f/4-5.6G

What are the pro and cons?

visit my pricelist for a rough estimation of F80D price. Is around S$700 if I am not mistaken.

Buy one lens first, the 50mm I would recommend. Or get a 60micro AFD. I prefer the later.

Originally posted by Kho King

Buy one lens first, the 50mm I would recommend. Or get a 60micro AFD. I prefer the later.

stl,

I agree with Kho King about possibly getting the AF 60mm f/2.8D Micro-Nikkor instead of the 50mm. This lens doubles up as a very nice standard lens but gives you the opportunity to explore photomacrography as well! The 60mm micro is a very sharp lens with the CRC lens which has virtually no lens distortion because of it's flat lens element.

Oh good grief here we go again.

Khoking,

Very nice piece of advice indeed. I seem to recall not too long again you insisted on recommendinng the 50mm lens instead of two zoom lenses. Now you're saying you prefer the 60mm micro. Great. I suppose you'll have an F5 as your avatar next week too?

Last time around the guy was asking about two zoom lenses, you impose your 50mm recommendation. This time the 50mm is actually an option, so cannot recommend that, better pick the 60mm instead is it?

Szennyboy,

The 60mm micro is a very sharp lens with the CRC lens which has virtually no lens distortion because of it's flat lens element.

Great advice too. What pray tell is a flat lens element? A clear filter maybe? Or maybe you mean flat field, which has nothing to do with flat lens elements. But then again the 60mm is not a great flat field lens either, so it can't be that. So what exactly do you mean? It'd be the find of the century if a clear filter results in virtually no lens distortion.

And CRC is not a lens, it's a system. CRC enables a lens to focus well close as well as at infinity. It is found on the Micro Nikkors for obvious reasons, as well as selected wide angles. The CRC does not by itself cause a lens to be "very sharp", that's via lens design and optics, the CRC just, as its name suggests, corrects focus at close range.

Originally posted by Jed
Oh good grief here we go again.
Szennyboy,

The 60mm micro is a very sharp lens with the CRC lens which has virtually no lens distortion because of it's flat lens element.

Great advice too. What pray tell is a flat lens element? A clear filter maybe? Or maybe you mean flat field, which has nothing to do with flat lens elements. But then again the 60mm is not a great flat field lens either, so it can't be that. So what exactly do you mean? It'd be the find of the century if a clear filter results in virtually no lens distortion.

And CRC is not a lens, it's a system. CRC enables a lens to focus well close as well as at infinity. It is found on the Micro Nikkors for obvious reasons, as well as selected wide angles. The CRC does not by itself cause a lens to be "very sharp", that's via lens design and optics, the CRC just, as its name suggests, corrects focus at close range.

My mistake...I think! Okay, perhaps I got muddled up with the description of terms but what I was referring to was the flat field capabilities of this lens (no distortion or softer focus on the image around the corners) via the Nikon CRC system. This is also widely known as the "Floating Element" designs by Nikon because of the lens elements inside the lens which corrects for the focusing... resulting in a flat focus plane at the plane of interest. However, with this CRC system, it most definitely increases the image sharpness BECAUSE it corrects for the focus at close range (specific to the 60mm)... this is very evident when you comapre shots taken between say the 50mm and the 60mm (point of comparison is not at the centre of the image but around the edges of the frame).

At the end of the day, we were only pointing out options based on what is available and what the price budget is being suggested (via stl's initial lens options). With regards to you shooting down Kho King's suggestions just because he's previously suggested a particular lens... he may have had other reasons for those reccomendations specific to that thread!

Originally posted by SzennyBoy
At the end of the day, we were only pointing out options based on what is available and what the price budget is being suggested (via stl's initial lens options). With regards to you shooting down Kho King's suggestions just because he's previously suggested a particular lens... he may have had other reasons for those reccomendations specific to that thread!

Actually you might want to read stl's post, he didn't mention the Micro Nikkor 60mm as an option, that digression was brought up Khoking in his usual manner, that is by going off topic at a tangent. Khoking has a long history of doing this on various forums.

Originally posted by Ian

Actually you might want to read stl's post, he didn't mention the Micro Nikkor 60mm as an option, that digression was brought up Khoking in his usual manner, that is by going off topic at a tangent. Khoking has a long history of doing this on various forums.

Hmmm... okay... I was thinking along the lines of the combine price for stl's two lenses compare to the 60mm micro alone! But I'll agree that it is going off topic in a way! :embrass:

Originally posted by stl
Anyone know the price of the F80D body and the following lens?

What do you think if i purchase together these 2 lens?
- Zoom AF 70-300mm f/4-5.6G

What are the pro and cons?

I think when come to buying lens the usual question will come out: "What u intend to shoot?" Cos between 50mm and 24-50mm, u lost quite a big range of wide end. Meaning you might be required to be standing very far away to: take a big group pictures of outing, a whole house, wide landscape pictures ... So do consider carefully!
I can't give you comment on the rest of the lens but for 50mm 1.8D, I can tell you the following:
1. It is very light, good for carrying around;
2. Quite cheap (between $170 - $190 in singapore);
3. Focus is fast;
4. Viewfinder seem brighter (at least I think it is);
5. Good for low light;
6. Picture look sharp enough on a 4R;
7. 52mm filter size is cheaper (my 72mm filters cost lots more)
8. Will not block the light path of the F80's built-in flash (quite important for me)

That all I can think of at the moments can't give more comment as I only had it for a week and manage to use it only on half roll of film.

Originally posted by Trevor_Tan
Cos between 50mm and 24-50mm, u lost quite a big range of wide end. Meaning you might be required to be standing very far away to: take a big group pictures of outing, a whole house,
wide landscape pictures ... So do consider carefully!

Do u mean to say i lost the range of 50mm and above? Suppose have to take a house, and taking with a 50mm or 70-210mm lens. Which one have to stand nearer? If using 50mm, will have to stand far rite?

Originally posted by stl

Do u mean to say i lost the range of 50mm and above? Suppose have to take a house, and taking with a 50mm or 70-210mm lens. Which one have to stand nearer? If using 50mm, will have to stand far rite?

Sorry for not making myself clear.
I'm talking about your first choice of lens:

Getting 50mm f/1.8, you will lose the zoom range below 50mm.
A wider lens (ie 24mm) allows you to take wider area/angle, hence you can stand nearer to the object. So for the question you had, you can stand nearer if you use 50mm, futher if u use 70-210mm at 70mm end, and across the next few streets if at 210mm ends.

Btw either lens you choose (24-50mm or Standard 50mm) you also lose the zoom range between 50mm to 70mm, but personnally I don't think that is a very big problem, you just have to do more walking :p

Jed,
Besides critisizing...what more can you do? I can hardly see you posting any positive comments...other than critisizing on others comment after they try to help the posters.

I recommend the 60micro now because the buyer has more budget in his hand I believe, as he plans to get two lens (28-80mm/50mm AND 70-300mm). I am not saying the 50mm is no good, but having the 60micro can be more fun in exploring macro photography.

Jed,
Giving the choice of the two zoom vs 50mm f/1.8D, I will still go for the 50mm f/1.8D. My stand still same.

Not many people aware of the world of macro photography. 50mm and 60mm is so very near (same), thus if budget is not a constraint, I suggest the buyer to try this lens out.

Ian,
What's the problem suggesting another option to the original poster? What else can you do besides comments on others post instead of helping the original poster?

You are not making recommendations based on what he wants or needs. You're just making baseless assumptions on your part and that doesn't constitute to good advice. What if he followed your advice and got the lens and he like it? You going to buy over from him and re-sell it for a profit?

Originally posted by Kit
You are not making recommendations based on what he wants or needs. You're just making baseless assumptions on your part and that doesn't constitute to good advice. What if he followed your advice and got the lens and he like it? You going to buy over from him and re-sell it for a profit?

Oh...so you mean every recommendation we made we must GUARANTEE that the buyer MUST like, else we have to take responsible for the lost?

The original poster is considering a 50mm lens. What's so much different between the 50mm and the 60mm? Speed? If speed is a problem, then the buyer wouldn't have consider the slow zoom. Thus, I recommend a still quite fast but more exciting 60micro lens as an OPTION to the original poster.

Think again before you post, Kit.

Seriously, there isn't a need for much intellectual activity when answering your posts. Its all common sense.

What so different a 50mm and a 60mm lens? Well, they made 2 of them didn't they, for starters.

Respect others and yourself by giving advice that other people need and not moving off the line to create confusion. Maybe in your case, you should stop giving advice altogether.

Originally posted by Kit
Seriously, there isn't a need for much intellectual activity when answering your posts. Its all common sense.

What so different a 50mm and a 60mm lens? Well, they made 2 of them didn't they, for starters.

Respect others and yourself by giving advice that other people need and not moving off the line to create confusion. Maybe in your case, you should stop giving advice altogether.

Yeah...I suppose you are the smartest...giving so "good advice" by saying nothing to the original poster. Great and smart...

Originally posted by Kit
Saying nothing is almost certainly much better than saying crap in all situation unless you're in for a joke.

I suppose you have never use the 60micro before...

Originally posted by Ninja
Hi Khoking,

I think one need to held responsible for recommendations made to newbies. If you had read recent postings by Stl, he had been asking a lot of sincere questions as he wish to buy his first SLR and lenses. He may not be rich, thus it is better not to confuse newbies like stl, 007 , chaotic and yeppie99 (who just bought a Canon) in their decisions.

Ok, my apologize to the original poster for suggesting a new option (60 micro). I will stop my post on this thread from here.

Status
Not open for further replies.