F80 or F90 ???

Status
Not open for further replies.

jelloj

Jan 3, 2004
Hello all,
i'm a newbie to SLR. Should i get a F80 or a F90? Which is better? Advice please.

jelloj said:
Hello all,
i'm a newbie to SLR. Should i get a F80 or a F90? Which is better? Advice please.

if you want VR lense, then F80

if you want F90, i suggest get F90x which is i think better cos i use it .. :bsmilie: :bsmilie: :bsmilie: :sweatsm: :p

F90 or F90x can't use VR lense (or can use but no VR feature)

body wise, i like F90x..more solid.

F90 can only get it at 2nd hand for the price of a brand new F80...sturdy enough cos i dun think u will be banging it around..

Skip the F90 and choose between the F90x($600) and F80($450).

The F90x has better build, larger+brighter viewfinder, slightly faster AF,0.3EV compensation steps, 1/250 flash sync.

F80 has on demand compostion gridlines and support for VR.

Decide whether the loss of VR support and $150+ price difference is worth the features mentioned above.

jelloj said:
Hello all,

Both the F90 and F80 are respectable cameras.. Here is a quick comparison of both..

F90x.
-Support for AI/AIS lense with metering due to coupling ring at bayonet mount
-A sturdier consturction of the body.. however there is quite a bit of plastic..
-Interchangable film backs.. MF-25 (Date back), MF-26 (Multifunction control back - allows you to do bracketing, timed exposures, multiple exposures and more, including imprint of shooting data (on the image itself-this is a drawback)
- Large and very bright viewfinder.
- Interchangable focusing screens..
- battery pack with vertical shutter release - MB10
- 10pin connector for synch cords
- Supports AF-I and AF-S lenses.. however G lenses can only be use in P and S mode..
- No support for VR feature.. however you can still use the lens, just turnoff the VR.. else it will drain your cam flat in a blink of an eye.
- AF is fast and responsive.. and when using lenses like the 80-200 AF-D f2.8 ED one touch lenses.. AF is fast.. you will get about 1/2 this AF speed with the similar lens on the F80.

This cam has tendencies to crack at the prism portion of the cam. This is the achilles heel of this cam.. else it is a solid performer.. coupled with Nikkor 28-105 and SB26/28.. it will give you some really awe images.. compared to even today's high end F100's and D100 or D70..

F80(standard, qd, or S) - S is with the databack.. (note: F80 has no interchangable back.
- Light and sturdy built.
- Several custom functions that allow some interesting stuff.. like grid on demand..
- Has a battery pack.. but not vertical shutter release..
- manual shutter release using AR-3 release cable.
- No support for AI/AIS lenses.. used in M mode only..
- Supports AFS-VR, G

So you decide which is which.. I would personally go for the F90x.. but then again.. you will be looking out on a bunch of new technologies..You will know that it is not a camera that will fail you anytime.. I have had upto 4 in the past 5 years of my photography.. only have 1 now.. simple love this baby..

However the F80 is a shinner too.. it can hold its ground.. F80 is going at 3fps.. the F90x at 4.5fps..

Wat would pull me to the F90x.. is the ability for better backward compatibility..

So the choice again is yours.. however if you do get the F90.. get the F90x.. it is a better body and with enhance stuff that the F90 doesnt have..

I personally would recommend the 90X.

I have never handled a F80 before and there's a very good reason why -> because I am using a 90X.

90X is a extremely solid camera and it has gone thru thick & thin with me for the past 4 years. I use it for assignments, bring it for travel and use it as paper weight :sweat: And it has yet to fail me.

From the visually inspection of 80, I would still opt for the 90X as I believe the handling would be more suited to me and it doesn't feel like a Canon
;p

the F90x is the predecessor to the F100.... it follows the line starting from the F801 which is a solid camera...

the F80 though newer, does not come from that lineage and thus is lacking in the pro features like flash sync speed and af speed. but picture wise, both will be the same and i do reckon that the f80 is a little easier to use.

i have not needed anything more than my current F80. but the F90 is great too.

satan_18349 said:
So cheap for F80???? 2nd hand?? :bigeyes: :bigeyes:
Yep. There have been many transacted at this price.

do consider the weight factor. F90x is rather heavy coupled with 4 AA batteries. As for F80, it is relatively lighter with lithim batteries.

yes, both are great cameras, where F90x focusses better in low light and makes any sloppy lens AF much faster than on F80. however, F90/F90x is prone to rubber back peeling problems too.

if it is for normal/travel use, i would suggest F80 as it is easier to carry around with a good lens.

pros and cons, in the end, it is a matter of personal preference :)

F90x... rubber grib, rubber backs.. totally irritating... oily.. and worse.. when its starting to get old and tired... it will tell u !! cuz theres a smell of burning rubber.......... :bsmilie:

grip impt... a textured grip like F80 wuld be essential... think.. u wan the looks or u wan the tech... if u wan the looks.. F90x haf the looks...u wan the tech... F80 got the techs... but if u wan both.... GET THE F5 !! wonderful camera...... cannot own a D1-2series.. A F5 would give u a feel as if u are holding one.... :bsmilie:

however F90x more "Pro" feeling la..... tats all.... a sturdy camera... the F80 makes me feel like carrying a toy camera around..... :bsmilie: :bsmilie:

F90x is a workhorse. the rubber back can be remove with chemical. last time i get it done thru a friend. the only thing is that it's unable to take 'G' lens........heard that only in p-mode but have not tried. solid body and looks good with the mb10 and sb28. this camera are uses more as a 'earning' tools.

F80.....plastic body.....with pop up flash mades easy as a travelling camera.
flash sync at only 1/125s. couple will mb16 will made holding of camera more firm. no flash sync cord terminal. no cable release terminal.

so it depends on how seriour you are going to be with a film SLR......just play play and will move to DSLR in near future....get the F80 set. really going to x-plore film photography.....may be the F100....some thing cheaper than the F5. :)

glennyong said:
F90x... rubber grib, rubber backs.. totally irritating... oily.. and worse.. when its starting to get old and tired... it will tell u !! cuz theres a smell of burning rubber.......... :bsmilie:

grip impt... a textured grip like F80 wuld be essential... think.. u wan the looks or u wan the tech... if u wan the looks.. F90x haf the looks...u wan the tech... F80 got the techs... but if u wan both.... GET THE F5 !! wonderful camera...... cannot own a D1-2series.. A F5 would give u a feel as if u are holding one.... :bsmilie:

however F90x more "Pro" feeling la..... tats all.... a sturdy camera... the F80 makes me feel like carrying a toy camera around..... :bsmilie: :bsmilie:

Get the F90x, VR is an expensive crutch and unnecessary 99% of the time. The F90x is tough (aluminium chassis with polycarbonate outer shell), it's slightly heavier weight provides from better handling. You can't fully utilise G-lenses on the F90x except in P and S modes, this is bec it doesn't have that stupid index finger dial that only girlymen use. Real men use the apeture ring on their lenses.

It has a two level interface, no mulitple CF numbers to remember to access functions, just press the function key to access second layer. It has a brighter viewfinder than the F80 and uses easily available and cheap AA batteries. If you can't stand the peeling back, a replacment back from Nikon costs just $80, otherwise, it's a non-issue.

The F80 is a toy and feels like a Canon. If you haven't invested heavily into the Nikon system yet, you might as well go for the EOS30 and enjoy all the technical wizardry that Canon has to offer (if that is what you are looking for).

Hear me now and thank me later, don't be a girlyman, get the F90x.

BTW, there is an F90x with MF-26 databack advertised for $450 on clubsnap Buy and Sell at the moment. Apart from the peeling back, it's a relative bargain.

Tetrode said:
Get the F90x, VR is an expensive crutch and unnecessary 99% of the time.

I dont totally agree with this statement about VR.. and VR is not expensive.. it is also available in a sub 1K lens.. the 24-120 AFS-VR. and it is a very good tool..

Yikes .. all the sifu jumped on the newb :eek:

Anyway ... see what's your budget first ..
the one you should choose ... is the cam that could grow as you grow.

For me .. I have F90 from my dad , and I won't EVER sell it .. because from that cam .. my love of photography grew .. and seriously .. that cam has taken "a few" beautiful pics of my loved ones.

And now .. I have grow from newb status [1 cam, 1 lens , 1 flashhead] and acquired "a few" body n gears.

FE2, F80, F100, D1H and next ... F5 and D2H to experience the Nikon F camera legacy. :bsmilie:
[ just got a Nikon 105VR pocket cam ... a legend ]

For me now .. as you are a newb ... just choose F80 [ n dun forget to buy slide films]

You can get that cam for around S$400 to $600 depending on condition
and to get you to started snapping without blowing your pocket ..
grab the AF 28-80 G and 70-300 G ... those lens has good optical quality [depending til what size you want to print to for upto 6R .. I can assure you .. they are good :sweat: ]
[ or grab an AF-S 24-85 G lens for a multi-purpose lens :devil: ]

For me, I won't buy the F90 [maybe F90x can] as you are limited to the new glass you can use.

=bob=

All the Gurus, Sifu or Grand Masters or Pros would recommend the F90, or whatever versions. But, if you're a beginner, it is a very, very different ballgame.

As an amateur, the F80 is a more suitable camera, as it is made Specifically for You, the amateur. Becos you're gonna to get some G lenses and mostly amateur lenses. One of the best articles on the right choice of the body is by Ken Rockwell

smallaperture said:
All the Gurus, Sifu or Grand Masters or Pros would recommend the F90, or whatever versions. But, if you're a beginner, it is a very, very different ballgame.

As an amateur, the F80 is a more suitable camera, as it is made Specifically for You, the amateur. Becos you're gonna to get some G lenses and mostly amateur lenses. One of the best articles on the right choice of the body is by Ken Rockwell

Buy the F90x is built to last. If you are tight on budget get the F80. Coz the G lens is generally cheaper. The F90 has a high speed flash sync. If you gonna use alot of flash. F90x is the choice. It can sync up to 1/8000th! Basically it has the pro spec. Again, if you are tight on budget, get the F80. F90x has no external flash! Need to invest on one.

I personally owned a F80 and sold it for a F90x. You will love the bright view finder.

wongwm70 said:
Buy the F90x is built to last. If you are tight on budget get the F80. Coz the G lens is generally cheaper. The F90 has a high speed flash sync. If you gonna use alot of flash. F90x is the choice. It can sync up to 1/8000th! Basically it has the pro spec. Again, if you are tight on budget, get the F80. F90x has no external flash! Need to invest on one.

I personally owned a F80 and sold it for a F90x. You will love the bright view finder.

Just a few corrections :D :
G lenses might or might not be cheaper. Current trend for Nikon seems to be going towards G lenses, and almost all of the current pro-lenses are G lenses, together with a few consumer zooms. So 'G' is NOT an indication of price or quality.

The basic flash sync speed of the F90X is 1/250, but yup, you can get FP sync if you use the correct speedlight (the new sb-600, sb-800 can't do it, the older speedlights should be able). :D

justarius said:
Just a few corrections :D :
G lenses might or might not be cheaper. Current trend for Nikon seems to be going towards G lenses, and almost all of the current pro-lenses are G lenses, together with a few consumer zooms. So 'G' is NOT an indication of price or quality.

The basic flash sync speed of the F90X is 1/250, but yup, you can get FP sync if you use the correct speedlight (the new sb-600, sb-800 can't do it, the older speedlights should be able). :D

G lenses are not necessarily cheaper.. lets list a few G lenses.. that I dont personally think are not cheap.. lol. Nikon has seemingly move forward with its optical range to give us, similarly priced products with more features.. like the 24-120, 17-55 & 70-200

10.5 DX AF G - similar in FOV if using a 16mm f2.8 AF-D on 35mm - price alike
12-24 AF-S
17-55 AF-S - cheaper then the famed 17-35 AF-S f2.8
24-120 AF-S VR - similar in price to it predecessor the 24-120 AF-D.. except now with SWM and VR
70-200 AF-S VR - similar in price to it predecessor the 80-200 AF-S.. except now with VR
200mm f/2 AF-S VR
18-70 AF-S - similar to FOV if using the Nikon 28-105 AF-D on 35mm - price alike
24-85 - hmm..

Consumer G lenses..

70-300 AF G.. no ED element is cheaper then the 70-300 AF-D ED
28-200 AF G.. cheaper then its predecessor.. the 28-200 AF-D
28-100 AF G.. no near comparison.. except the 28-105 AF-D
28-80 AF G

Similarly.. DX is also not an indication of price or quality. There is a really bad misconception that G and DX lenses are consumer grade lenses and are "cheap" lenses.. check the above listings.. I dont think the likes of the 17-55, 10.5 and 12-24 are by any means cheap consumer lenses.. or that they are inferior in quality..

and neither do I think the likes of the 70-200 and the new 200mm are cheap or down-washed lenses.. These 5 lenses are true pro-workhorse lenses..

Back to the F90x..

The F90x.. is inself a legend.. it was at one time Nikon Flagship for faster AF and was in direct competition with Canon's notable AF speeds. The F90x is also the first to introduce the usage of the D-chip or Distance chip.. now giving something called 3D Metering.. its remarkable user friendlyness allows you to pick up the cam.. start shooting without even reading the manual..

So yes.. the F90x is good in all aspects.. but to be honest.. it is old.. it is lagging.. I would say that if you wanted something close to the F90x.. get yourself the F100.. and if you were considering the F80 (if you already didnt own a Nikon system).. honestly the EOS33/30 + BP300 (incidently comes with a vertical shutter release) is a way better cam then the F80.

mid level f601=>f70=>f80
pro level f801=>f90x=>f100
the f90x is from a earlier generation, but is a pro level body. the f80 is a newer generation, but a mid level body.

my opinion, buy a 2nd hand f80 and a couple of lens first. a 2nd hand f80 goes for ard $400-$450, when u are comfortable with slr and feel like moving up to a pro level body, then u sell off ur f80 and get maybe the f90x or f100. not much loss since u can sell off ur f80 at ard the price which u bought it at. no point jumping into a pro level f90x which u may not fully utilise.

~MooEy~

Status
Not open for further replies.