F707 or CP 5700?

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

Peter

Alloz ppl

I've been playing with my friend's F707 for sometime and rather impressed with capabilites. ( tried G2, S602Z before )

So I'm thinking of getting it or the Nikon CP5700. Been reading up online reviews too.

In favour of F707:
1. Sharper images, more vivid colours ( which I like )
2. Thread for attaching filters
3. Much longer batt life
4. Superb low-light focussing and shooting

In favour of CP5700
1. 8x zoom compared to 5x
2. More compact
3. More accurate and real-life colours
4. Cheaper CF compared to MS
5. More controls like saturation, contrast...

Really in a dilemma, so CP5700 users, pls enlighten me whether the images are sharp and comment abt the colours.

I don't really like dull and real-life colours. Prefer more vibrant colours. But F707 so much bulkier and heavier to carry around, also only 5x zoom. Hard to make a choice

Consider too the Minolta Dimage 7i which is in the same price range. The manual focus ring and the zoom ring might appeal to SLR users and the image quality would be great after "tuning" the camera.

In favour of the 7i:
1. 28mm wide-angle position
2. 49mm thread for filters
3. phase detection for autofocus (faster than contrast)
4. can use the full capabilities of Minolta flash (the 5700 can't use the full functions of Nikon flash, while there's no TTL for Sony flash)
5. many adjustable settings
6. manual focus and zoom rings
7. tiltable view finder (may be less useful than the flip-out LCD of the 5700)
8. uses AA batteries!

I would not really make colour saturation too much of an issue with digital cameras, because this can often be manipulated to one's liking in post-processing. In fact, I would say that it is better to start with slightly muted colours and then enhance them if desired, because going the other way tends to result in result in the loss of subtle image detail. Just something you might want to consider.

Hi

I would prefer to have the Nikon CP5700. I tired out using my friend's camera and it's really good...better than my G2...in term of everything. I like the 8x zoom most...the night shots are as good or better than my G2. The only bad thing about it is that the battery finished up rather fast...

Originally posted by Encino
Hi

I would prefer to have the Nikon CP5700. I tired out using my friend's camera and it's really good...better than my G2...in term of everything. I like the 8x zoom most...the night shots are as good or better than my G2. The only bad thing about it is that the battery finished up rather fast...

How abt the low-light autofocus? There were some complaints about the slow focus times especially at higher zoom....

I own a CP5700 and from reading the forums at other wbesites, it seems that the slow focusing speed is due to the default setting of a Continous AF. In this mode, the camera constantly hunts for a "perfect" AF. I set mine to single and it works perfectly fine.

Have not tried the 707 but from research, the low light capabilites of the 707 is better than the 5700.

Status
Not open for further replies.