F3.5

Aug 18, 2010
hi guys.. i was wondering if F3.8 can do bokeh effect? dun need so imba bokeh effect can see the bluring at the background or the foreground can liao..

hi guys.. i was wondering if F3.8 can do bokeh effect? dun need so imba bokeh effect can see the bluring at the background or the foreground can liao..

It all depends on the focal length as well as how far the subject is from the BG.

Go read up more about this. :)

Please dont mislead the TS. You know exactly what he meant so don't twist it.

Actually he's correct.

We macro shooters often need to stop down a whole lot more due to the close range of our cameras to the subject and the BG is much farther away, thus there is still bokeh effect even when we are shooting at f11 or smaller aperture.

Note that this is only effective for longer focal lengths and when the subject is close to camera and the BG is far from the subject.

As mentioned, go read up more on this. :)

Actually he's correct.

We macro shooters often need to stop down a whole lot more due to the close range of our cameras to the subject and the BG is much farther away, thus there is still bokeh effect even when we are shooting at f11 or smaller aperture.

Note that this is only effective for longer focal lengths and when the subject is close to camera and the BG is far from the subject.

Thank you Zac. :)

I was just answering straight to TS's question, whether 3.5 can do it or not. it all depends on how far is the background. so definitely f11 and f22 is able to have bokeh.

It all depends on the focal length as well as how far the subject is from the BG.

Go read up more about this. :)

icic.. whats BG? hmmm i cannot just point and shoot? i know need set to Av for canon then set turn the dial to the highest F number...

lets say if i just put a handphone on my table and i wan to do a bokeh effect.. do i need to just stand far away, max zoom,highest F, then point and shoot? i tried my friend 500d 18-55mm highest F i can go is 5.0.. lol.. i tried but cannot get the blur effect.. but F3.5 can?

icic.. whats BG? hmmm i cannot just point and shoot? i know need set to Av for canon then set turn the dial to the highest F number...

lets say if i just put a handphone on my table and i wan to do a bokeh effect.. do i need to just stand far away, max zoom,highest F, then point and shoot? i tried my friend 500d 18-55mm highest F i can go is 5.0.. lol.. i tried but cannot get the blur effect.. but F3.5 can?

Background...

Thank you Zac. :)

I was just answering straight to TS's question, whether 3.5 can do it or not. it all depends on how far is the background. so definitely f11 and f22 is able to have bokeh.

hmmm.. so what u are saying that if the background is closer to the object just lower aperture and while the background is further from the object use higher aperture? i am quite a noob in dslr so thinking of buying a 18-85mm or 18-55mm both F3.5-5.6 .. really impress with bokeh effect so wanna try it myself..

bokeh depends on 3 factors - focal length, focussing distance and aperture

the longer the focal length, the more bokeh you (can) get. and since the focal lengths on compacts are very short (usually about 8mm or so, cos you multiply that since the sensor is very small), you hardly get bokeh with those cameras

the shorter the focussing distance, the more bokeh. thats why macro shots have a lot of bokeh and even at f/11 you can still get bg blur

the larger the aperture the more bokeh. this is all physics

of course, when the bg is further away it will be more blurred, as the depth of field (the sharp bit) is further away from it

Actually he's correct.

hmm but i am not a macro user..just a normal guy who like bokeh effect.. lols.. have been reading up but i also nt too sure.. dam confuse..

Hm if you want a greater bokeh effect then you could try out the 50mm f/1.8, and cheaper than the kit lens too! The longer the focal length and bigger the f-stop, the more bokeh.
So a 20mm f/1.8 would have a less blurry background then let's say a 85mm f/1.8. The 18-55
kit lens will only have very blurry bokeh when its zoomed in <40mm to its maximum, but due to its high f-stop, indoor shots will be pretty blurry if you do not have stable hands.

Hope that helps! :)

bokeh depends on 3 factors - focal length, focussing distance and aperture

the longer the focal length, the more bokeh you (can) get. and since the focal lengths on compacts are very short (usually about 8mm or so, cos you multiply that since the sensor is very small), you hardly get bokeh with those cameras

the shorter the focussing distance, the more bokeh. thats why macro shots have a lot of bokeh and even at f/11 you can still get bg blur

the larger the aperture the more bokeh. this is all physics

of course, when the bg is further away it will be more blurred, as the depth of field (the sharp bit) is further away from it

hmmm.. ic thanks.. thats a very quick and easy general knowing of bokeh. hmm.. can standard zoom lens do bokeh effect? btw i will be getting a 550d dslr.. but idunnoe which lens to get to get the bokeh effect.. but i also wanna the standard zoom also..

hmmm.. so what u are saying that if the background is closer to the object just lower aperture and while the background is further from the object use higher aperture? i am quite a noob in dslr so thinking of buying a 18-85mm or 18-55mm both F3.5-5.6 .. really impress with bokeh effect so wanna try it myself..
Impressed by effects? :think: As much as I can understand but my advice is to get over it. Technical effects don't make a good picture, it can only support what is there already. The term here is "subject isolation" by using a selective focus only on the subject, leaving the rest in (more or less) blur, unsharp, out of focus. It's one element of image composition.
Aperture helps here, since it is one factor defining the Depth of Field. Other factors as mentioned: focal length, distance to subject, distance from subject to background. Bokeh is, finally, nothing but a subjective judgment how pleasing those parts of the image look that are out of focus. So why are you focusing on something that is supposed to be out of focus? :)
More to read about Depth of Field: http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tutorials/depth-of-field.htm

At your lens limit, you can only set it to max zoom i.e. 55mm and at f5

Then make sure your subject is close to you and your background is much farther away and you will have a bokeh effect.

If you are able to loan or rent a longer zoom lens such as a 70-200 f4 or better still, f2.8. You will then see a much more pronounced bokeh effect at maximum zoom focal length and the largest aperture you can get out of your lens. :)

Alternatively, go get a 50mm f1.8 and you can get much fun out of it. :)

hmmm.. ic thanks.. thats a very quick and easy general knowing of bokeh. hmm.. can standard zoom lens do bokeh effect? btw i will be getting a 550d dslr.. but idunnoe which lens to get to get the bokeh effect.. but i also wanna the standard zoom also..
It would be good to start with the kit lens and learn from there. As long as your knowledge is so limited any recommendation for lenses is useless, you would not know what to do with it. Normal kit lenses are zoom lenses, ranging mainly from 18 to 55mm focal length (some even more). Zoom just means "changeable focal length", the opposite of prime lenses with a single focal length. Have you read all those sticky Newbies Guides? Just right on top here.

but a 50mm f1.8 to try bokeh. its the imbal bokeh you might be looking for. very cheap probably for canon less than $150 can get. :)

Hm if you want a greater bokeh effect then you could try out the 50mm f/1.8, and cheaper than the kit lens too! The longer the focal length and bigger the f-stop, the more bokeh.
So a 20mm f/1.8 would have a less blurry background then let's say a 85mm f/1.8. The 18-55
kit lens will only have very blurry bokeh when its zoomed in <40mm to its maximum, but due to its high f-stop, indoor shots will be pretty blurry if you do not have stable hands.

Hope that helps! :)

finally see a light at the end of the tunnel liao.. i dun need so imba bokeh effect.. i just wanna see in my picture the bokeh effect can liao.. haha.. so i need to get a lens that have high aperture can liao? so i can just max zoom,highest apreture and done?