f22 without mirror-lockup

Status
Not open for further replies.

asturias105

Dec 18, 2004
photobloglww.orgfree.com
Hi guys, just wanna ask, if setting aperture at f22 and not using mirror-lockup for night landscape photography will cause the pic to be blur?

it wont, but u need a tripod or a stable platform. ideally, use self-timer.

hmm.. with the mirror not being locked-up, wouldn't it cause vibrations to the cam when taking pics (on the tripod) ?

asturias105 said:
Hi guys, just wanna ask, if setting aperture at f22 and not using mirror-lockup for night landscape photography will cause the pic to be blur?

I just want to ask .... what is the shutter speed?

At Night landscape, you can be aiming at bright object, or example landscape of Singapore is normally bright.....

Anyway, for modern camera, mirror-lockup is USUALLY not required, the mirror damping capability is normally good. But then if you have the function, why not use it?

blurblock said:
I just want to ask .... what is the shutter speed?

At Night landscape, you can be aiming at bright object, or example landscape of Singapore is normally bright.....

Anyway, for modern camera, mirror-lockup is USUALLY not required, the mirror damping capability is normally good. But then if you have the function, why not use it?

Hi, i used 17-40L to take sunset photos, but when i got home and check out my pics, those with aperture value 22 are actually not sharp at all. I've tested this lens at lower aperture values, and it gave gd picture quality. So I was just wondering if it was the absence of mirror-lockup that was causing the problem.

Btw, the shutter speed was about 2-3 secs

asturias105 said:
hmm.. with the mirror not being locked-up, wouldn't it cause vibrations to the cam when taking pics (on the tripod) ?
If your tripod is not sturdy enough, yes it will vibrate a little.. If you shoot at 17mm, it should not be that noticeable..

Maybe you can post a 100% crop of the image and we can help to determine if it's indeed camera vibration or it's diffraction due to the small aperture used.

This article may be useful in explaining what happened. http://www.vanwalree.com/optics/spherical.html - See the paragraph under Focus Shift.

I've tried taking pics without mirror lockup and cam was mounted on a tripod. The results are clear and crisp pics. By the way i'm taking at wide-angles.

asturias105 said:
Hi, i used 17-40L to take sunset photos, but when i got home and check out my pics, those with aperture value 22 are actually not sharp at all. I've tested this lens at lower aperture values, and it gave gd picture quality. So I was just wondering if it was the absence of mirror-lockup that was causing the problem.

I am using a cheapo tripod and when coupled using longer zoom without mirror lockup, i have problem with image sharpness, both due to small movement was exaggerated by longer zoom and also the zoom lens's weight.

IMO if it is related to mirror lock-up then no matter what aperture you used, the image should be similarly sharp/unsharp. since sharpness problem occurs at f/22 only, could it be the lens that is soft when stopdown too much? Maybe someone with similar lens can offer some advice, I can't afford this L lens so can't comment on the performance

asturias105 said:

In general, most lenses are at their optimal performance at around f/8 to f/11 and as you stop down more the performance will degrade. Also, with such a small aperture of f/22, you are probably seeing the effects of diffraction affect your images.

Yes it will be blur regardless.
Laws of physics.
Diffraction will occur. It'll be even worse if you use dSLR.

Status
Not open for further replies.