F1 - Whats up with Williams F1? The end?

Status
Not open for further replies.

afbug

Aug 19, 2004
Planet SG™
First, they broke off with engine supplier BMW. BMW has since bought over Sauber and will race.
Second, Honda has commited to BAR, Williams have to use Cosworth engines? Yucks!
Third, they're switching to Bridgestone tyres, whom are struggling this year.
And now, they lost their principle sponsor of 5 years; Hewlett-Packard!

And Button had made a u-turn and wanna stay with BAR.
What is Sir Frank Williams up to? :think:

Consider that the playing field is somewhat levelled for next season - all teams are required to use V8 engines instead of the current V10s. Thus switching to Cosworth may not be as disadvantageous as you might imagine.

Secondly, as Formula 1 seems to be going the way of a single control tire, and Bridgestone is seeming like the more likely of the two current suppliers, to provide that control tire, Williams may be hedging its bets on the season after the next (2007) - when its had the additional data generated from the 2006 season to give it a winning edge.

Its a toss of the dice for the team, but they haven't been in-form this year, hardly a race-winning package. Might as well take the next year to rebuild, re-arm and attack the 2007 season.

r32 said:
Consider that the playing field is somewhat levelled for next season - all teams are required to use V8 engines instead of the current V10s. Thus switching to Cosworth may not be as disadvantageous as you might imagine.

Yes, I agree with r32. Furthermore, I would say that the current COSWORTH engines are the most reliable among all out there. AFAIK, there is only 1 incidence of engine failure. (correct me if I am wrong)

Canew said:
Yes, I agree with r32. Furthermore, I would say that the current COSWORTH engines are the most reliable among all out there. AFAIK, there is only 1 incidence of engine failure. (correct me if I am wrong)
hardly as compared to other engines...

Canew said:

Erm...because they dun run as hard as the competitive ones. Lower revs. Lower engine spec for next season may not be good for them as well. They have to make the engine perform at a lower power to weight ratio. 2.4, V8......

Ford has already broke off with Cosworth. I dunno who is behind them now. If they're that good, how come Cosworth dun win any thing in the past few seasons?

Canew said:

reliable but slow, got what use? :bsmilie:

alechim said:
hardly as compared to other engines...

there is always a compromise between outright performance and reliability. i would think most if not all engines can be made reliable by reducing the performance ;)

tao said:
reliable but slow, got what use? :bsmilie:

To finish first, first you have to finish.

r32 said:
To finish first, first you have to finish.

True. The tortise wins the race. But Ron Dennis once said that they rather risk an engine failure than to go slow. :)

Many competitve teams will rather have an exciting race and risk an engine blowout than to crawl round the track like a tortise.

How many times does Cosworth powered cars see the checkered flag? By that time, they will be a few laps down.

Williams is really happening...with rubens joining them..new engines..etc. But the new 2006 V8 engines 2.4L is 200bhp lesser than the current V10 3L..hate it when they cut cost..:thumbsd:

afbug said:
True. The tortise wins the race. But Ron Dennis once said that they rather risk an engine failure than to go slow. :)

Many competitve teams will rather have an exciting race and risk an engine blowout than to crawl round the track like a tortise.

How many times does Cosworth powered cars see the checkered flag? By that time, they will be a few laps down.

Yeap agree..like Mclaren has got the speed but engine blow kinda often. :bsmilie:

Flyingpig said:
Williams is really happening...with rubens joining them..new engines..etc. But the new 2006 V8 engines 2.4L is 200bhp lesser than the current V10 3L..hate it when they cut cost..:thumbsd:

rubens joining williams? :think: i thought he was going over to BAR Honda :dunno:

burger said:
rubens joining williams? :think: i thought he was going over to BAR Honda :dunno:

Rubens joining BAR. Sato kenna kickout. Button wanna stay at BAR now. Williams high and dry.

r32 said:

Secondly, as Formula 1 seems to be going the way of a single control tire, and Bridgestone is seeming like the more likely of the two current suppliers, to provide that control tire, Williams may be hedging its bets on the season after the next (2007) - when its had the additional data generated from the 2006 season to give it a winning edge.

Its a toss of the dice for the team, but they haven't been in-form this year, hardly a race-winning package. Might as well take the next year to rebuild, re-arm and attack the 2007 season.

I think Michelin are going to step out if F1 insists to have only one single tire manufacturer? I don't really like the rules seriously..but what to do. They stll wanted to "cut cost while making the races more exciting and effectively"...

Button is likely to pay up to 20M as he insists staying in BAR. :dunno: really happening in Williams

Wow! Everyone, thanks for the feedbacks with regards to my comments about the COSWORTH engines. ;)

afbug said:
Rubens joining BAR. Sato kenna kickout. Button wanna stay at BAR now.

It is a difficult situation for BAR after signing in Rubens B. Sato is a Japanese and I felt that HONDA would want to have a Japanese driver in their team. But who knows what direction BAR would take...

afbug said:
Rubens joining BAR. Sato kenna kickout. Button wanna stay at BAR now. Williams high and dry.

the grass is always greener on the other side

last year, he thought Williams had the greener grass, boy was he wrong. :bsmilie: :bsmilie:

Flyingpig said:
I think Michelin are going to step out if F1 insists to have only one single tire manufacturer? I don't really like the rules seriously..but what to do. They stll wanted to "cut cost while making the races more exciting and effectively"...

Button is likely to pay up to 20M as he insists staying in BAR. :dunno: really happening in Williams

how to cut costs when most teams bar one refuse to limit testing

as usual, all animals are equal, ....

burger said:

last year, he thought Williams had the greener grass, boy was he wrong. :bsmilie: :bsmilie:

Sounds familar.....reminds me of 'I am leaving, no i'm not!' Steven Gerrard! :sweatsm:

Canew said:
Wow! Everyone, thanks for the feedbacks with regards to my comments about the COSWORTH engines. ;)

It is a difficult situation for BAR after signing in Rubens B. Sato is a Japanese and I felt that HONDA would want to have a Japanese driver in their team. But who knows what direction BAR would take...

It's definitely good to see japanese driver or better still a chinese F1 racer? :D

When the better comes, the young ones have to jump and go....

burger said:

Not very sure about that..but he did wanted to get out of BAR last year yah? :dunno:

Status
Not open for further replies.