F1 shooting guide

Status
Not open for further replies.

suicyde240

Jan 28, 2009
Hi guys, seeing as how the race has just ended, i was wondering if you'd like to share some of your shots (and how you obtained them) with the more noob members (like me).

Please include full details of how the picture was taken (panning? AF? MF?) and also the settings, camera and lens used?

Thank you in advance for your time and effort and hopefully it be comprehensive and packed full of details so we'll be able to sticky this!

Cheers
Josh

Last edited:
As a newbie, I would suggest you start in clubsnap by learning the "Search" function. You'll quickly realize that we have dozens of "How to shoot F1" threads already from this year and last year, with sample shots (usually with EXIF intact) based on the location of the photog.

Asking everyone to post their shots and settings here is akin to being asked to be spoonfed. Being resourcefun on your own is much more exxective in the long run.

I have already tried and i cant find anything thats why i decided to start a thread on it... Unless i am using the search function wrongly because nothing comes up when i try "f1 shooting guide" "f1 guide" "f1 tips" "f1 potography" "f1 tutorial"

so since you are more experienced maybe you could just share how to use the search function instead of assuming i havent tried searching!

I have already tried and i cant find anything thats why i decided to start a thread on it... Unless i am using the search function wrongly because nothing comes up when i try "f1 shooting guide" "f1 guide" "f1 tips" "f1 potography" "f1 tutorial"

so since you are more experienced maybe you could just share how to use the search function instead of assuming i havent tried searching!

hahaha, that's his default reply to most newbies asking questions.

Actually CS dont allows search for less than 3 characters so "suay suay" F1 is only 2 characters..... haiz....

On the other hand, just look for the most recent post and most of them wil be on F1 anyway... haha

So the F1 posts on the first page were not enough?

I did a search for: "how to shoot F1 night race" and got many hits.

hahaha, that's his default reply to most newbies asking questions.

Only if it looked like they didn't try on their own first. :angel:

Please include full details of how the picture was taken (panning? AF? MF?) and also the settings, camera and lens used?

To be a bit more realistic: Do you understand the basics of exposure first? You do realize that the option of pan/don't pan or how fast a shutter speed you need to use, etc etc will depend a LOT on:

1. The lens you use
2. How far away from the track are you
3. How fast are the cars going at that point
4. What angle are you relative to the track
5. What effect are you going for
6. How good is your skill

There is absolutely no magic formula. Every picture will have such different settings that it will just confuse you.

For example, some may say you need to use ISO 800, 1600 or 3200. You need to use at least 1/250s or 1/500s etc etc

But I used ISO 400 and 1/90s and have razor-sharp panning shots. Why? Because my 6 factors are different from theirs.

Even if one were to copy "successful settings" it doesn't mean that one would get the same results. Panning is a technique that simply needs exercising and patience. This cannot be expressed in EXIF data.

64800-1254126457-0.jpg

Hi there this shot is taken with EOS 350D with Sigma 18-125mm. I'm a noob myself and this is the first time i'm shooting at a race event.

EOS 350D
Sigma 18-125mm
Panning @ 109mm
shutter 1/250s ISO 1600 F/5.6

Last edited:
Hi guys, seeing as how the race has just ended, i was wondering if you'd like to share some of your shots (and how you obtained them) with the more noob members (like me).

Thank you in advance for your time and effort and hopefully it be comprehensive and packed full of details so we'll be able to sticky this!

Cheers
Josh
you'd be better off behind your camera along some road shooting at random cars rather then being in front of your computer asking for settings.

yup. I hate it when people share their settings. Some of us tried for years to get things rite.. and now, with new cameras and internet, everyone is a good photographer.
Tsk tsk tsk...

TS, if you are interested, i shot at 200mm, f2, shutter speed at about 500, iso at 400.

Regards

you'd be better off behind your camera along some road shooting at random cars rather then being in front of your computer asking for settings.

I love how some people on this forum just love to make SWEEPING ASSUMPTIONS! Maybe their seniority in the forum makes them forget where they once started or maybe they are just too damn good at photography to lend a f***ing hand to someone in need...

No Evenstar, you are wrong... I am not just sitting at my comp, i did go out and shoot... But my purpose of this thread is so i can refine my skills... I dont want to share my pics because i don't feel they are good enough yet, but since you love to assume, maybe i should upload my pics to show you that unlike you i don't just sit at my comp and give my 2 dollars worth of unconstructive and snide comments...

IMG_3284.jpg

IMG_3283.jpg

IMG_3325.jpg

I will upload the full details of each pic once i get my cam from my friend's house...
It was shot with a 450D, 50mm f/1.8 and i used shutter priority mode... Bumped up the iso and exposure a bit but can't rmb exactly how much right now... I am wondering if it'd be better if i used manual focus instead of a countinous autofocus while panning?

Any tips?

64800-1254126457-0.jpg

Hi there this shot is taken with EOS 350D with Sigma 18-125mm. I'm a noob myself and this is the first time i'm shooting at a race event.

EOS 350D
Sigma 18-125mm
Panning @ 109mm
shutter 1/250s ISO 1600 F/5.6

Very nice shot! i was thinking of getting the canon 100mm f/2.8 for next yrs race? any thoughts?

I love how some people on this forum just love to make SWEEPING ASSUMPTIONS! Maybe their seniority in the forum makes them forget where they once started or maybe they are just too damn good at photography to lend a f***ing hand to someone in need...

No Evenstar, you are wrong... I am not just sitting at my comp, i did go out and shoot... But my purpose of this thread is so i can refine my skills... I dont want to share my pics because i don't feel they are good enough yet, but since you love to assume, maybe i should upload my pics to show you that unlike you i don't just sit at my comp and give my 2 dollars worth of unconstructive and snide comments...

<< pics removed to save space >>

I will upload the full details of each pic once i get my cam from my friend's house...
It was shot with a 450D, 50mm f/1.8 and i used shutter priority mode... Bumped up the iso and exposure a bit but can't rmb exactly how much right now... I am wondering if it'd be better if i used manual focus instead of a countinous autofocus while panning?

Any tips?

I think you don't quite get what some of them are saying.

There's no "correct" way of panning or taking motorsports pictures. There is the "my way" and "their way" and "your way".

Take a few, take a look. If happy, take some more. If not, change settings and repeat.

Panning techniques are APLENTY if you just googled it. Or is your comp somehow only able to surf Clubsnap?

I agree with Rashkae and Legoz. You shouldn't just ask and expect ppl to share with you what might have taken a lot of pain and disappointment to figure out their particular style.

And to add on to Rashkae, even if my environment and conditions are identical to his, my settings could (and most likely will) be different as the end result I want is most likely different. (see his Point 5)

Know how I started learning to pan? I shot taxis and cars on the road. Plenty of them. Perhaps you should try it.

Want tips? Wrong lens, wrong mode (to me, at least). AF or MF? AI Servo or 1-shot? All are possible. There's not right or wrong there, just your style and preference.

not sure about you....but I think the fence in your pics are very distracting. Why do you continue to shoot at this location? Since you have access to grandstand why don't you explore different position. The pics are mostly OOF due to the fence. Like what evenstar mention, it is better to practice at the road side then to go to F1 and not achieving much.:dunno: I think even with those harsh comments, if you read them carefully there might be something you can learn.

I am wondering if it'd be better if i used manual focus instead of a countinous autofocus while panning?

Any tips?

If you read the other F1 threads, yes, it's much better to prefocus on a spot and pan.

Status
Not open for further replies.