F1 photography post mortem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Parchiao

Deregistered
Jan 2, 2003
Visit site
What were the best lenses to use? APS or FF? Techniques? Favourite locations? How would you do it differently or simliar next year?

For me, I am gonna get a nice 70-200mm zoom for next year now that I got my wife to experience the race and the need for the zoom lens. :p

Depends on what you want..
Too long a lens aint good due to the layout of the grandstands and fences..
If u want artistic feel....any lens would do. its very subjective.

Regards

Due to the lens I find Long and big aperture lens most useful. So in this case also due to weight, I prefer the 70-200 F2.8L shooting right beside the fence. My shots are found here.

Last edited:
raikkonen.jpg

1/80th sec, ISO400, f4, AF drive left in one shot mode, taken one at a time. This was at turn 1/2/3

1/80th sec, ISO400, f4, AF drive left in one shot mode, taken one at a time. This was at turn 1/2/3

I think you were sitting close to where I was! :D

I think you were sitting close to where I was! :D

no la..i wasn't sitting in the grand stands...no $$$ to afford that :( was under media..lagi cheapskate..lol

I found that shooting F1 is a bit like buying property - location is everything.

Then you need a long fast lens, which helps with shutter speeds as well as fast auto focusing.

Your camera body should have good AF performance as well, lots of megapixels to allow you to crop creatively.

After that, its pretty much practicing your tracking and panning skills already.

Next year I'm probably getting a grandstand ticket. Shooting behind several layers of fences/barricades ain't fun....especially when you are jostling with so many others. :confused: I think those with walkabout passes also had problems finding ideal spot and also coz of the metal fencing which renders AF function useless.

I found that shooting F1 is a bit like buying property - location is everything.
I quite agree, location is everything! Well this is the first, so at least now with so many ppl posting up pics so more or less we know what are the prime spots liao.

Next year I'm probably getting a grandstand ticket. Shooting behind several layers of fences/barricades ain't fun....especially when you are jostling with so many others. :confused: I think those with walkabout passes also had problems finding ideal spot and also coz of the metal fencing which renders AF function useless.

If you get grandstand, make sure you get a seat that's high up. The lower seats are blocked by the fence too.

Oh yes, location is definately everything when it comes to shooting F1 plus you'll want a good long and fast lens. I can expect the sales of the fast telephoto zooms to go up when F1 rolls around again next year!

Yeah, was shooting behind the fence as well. This is the shot I get. The fence did confuse the camera a bit. So have to set the AI - Servo respond to "mid" instead of fast. As a result, the tracking become not as responsive.

This is the example of one of my image :
S6C3841_001.jpg

Last edited:
Yes, must look for good location...
Then pray for luck...

Maybe try a short focal length.

Zeiss ZF 35:

f1-001.jpg

f1-002.jpg

Yeah, AF is being fooled by the fence so have to use Manual focus.

Used 70-210f4 and did try Panning at 210mm to shot cockpit only, no cropping done.

2895724220_eb66c378f4_o.jpg

Cheers!

wah, u guys were next to the track. so did u put on ear plugs? i shot from the staircase beside the marina square, outside the food court. the engine roar was dam loud.

Hi,

I read from some replies that panning is a technique to use for F1, but I was behind the fances, gotten walk about tickets... so could not use panning...
I was using 1/1000 - 1/2000, F3.5 to take still shots when the car passes.... but it was quite dark... is this another way to take the shots besides panning?
The dark effect, is it due to the lens that I use?

Thanks.:)

Status
Not open for further replies.