F1 night race given green light - Singapore GP

Status
Not open for further replies.

afbug

Aug 19, 2004
Planet SG™
Formula One will stage a night race for the first time in its history in 2008.
The streets of Singapore, with the imposing Marina Bay as a backdrop, will be the venue for the historic race, which will take place on 28 September.

There will also be a daytime street race in Valencia, while F1 officials have confirmed that Canada will be part of the extended 18-race 2008 calendar.

The Belgian and Italian races have swapped places, and the Japanese and Chinese races have also traded dates.

2008 Formula One calendar:

March 16 Australia (Melbourne)
March 23 Malaysia (Sepang)
April 6 Bahrain (Sakhir)
April 27 Spain (Barcelona)
May 11 Turkey (Istanbul)
May 25 Monaco
June 8 Canada
June 22 France
July 6 Britain (Silverstone)
July 20 Germany (Hockenheim)
Aug 3 Hungary (Hungaroring)
Aug 24 Europe (Valencia)**
Sep 7 Belgium (Spa-Francorchamps)
Sep 14 Italy (Monza)
Sep 28 Singapore
Oct 12 Japan (Fuji)
Oct 19 China (Shanghai)
Nov 2 Brazil (Interlagos)

**subject to circuit approval

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/motorsport/formula_one/6911269.stm

Woohoo! :devil:

Meanwhile:

Spyker change name to Force India

Spyker have been granted permission to change their name to Force India Formula One by motorsport's governing body, the FIA.
The team, bought by Indian billionaire Vijay Mallya for £61m, will race under the new name with a logo in the colours of the India flag from next season.

Spyker made little impact in this season's championships, winning just one constructors' point.

But Mallya is determined to keep German rookie driver Adrian Sutil.

"I am very happy with Adrian Sutil and I've told team boss Colin Kolles that we need to keep him," he said.

The team have undergone their third name change since 2005, when Silverstone-based Jordan was sold to Midland F1, which then became Spyker Cars when the Dutch sports car manufacturer paid £51m a season later.

2008 Formula One calendar:

March 16 Australia (Melbourne)
March 23 Malaysia (Sepang)
April 6 Bahrain (Sakhir)
April 27 Spain (Barcelona)
May 11 Turkey (Istanbul)
May 25 Monaco
June 8 Canada
June 22 France
July 6 Britain (Silverstone)
July 20 Germany (Hockenheim)
Aug 3 Hungary (Hungaroring)
Aug 24 Europe (Valencia)**
Sep 7 Belgium (Spa-Francorchamps)
Sep 14 Italy (Monza)
Sep 28 Singapore
Oct 12 Japan (Fuji)
Oct 19 China (Shanghai)
Nov 2 Brazil (Interlagos)

**subject to circuit approval

Kinda funny, I tot Imola, Nurbergring and Suzuka will be hosting the Italian, German and Japanese GP next year. :think:

Great! 28th September. Just nice... it's my mid sem break... flying back to watch f1 :sweat:

Great! 28th September. Just nice... it's my mid sem break... flying back to watch f1 :sweat:

Ooo you in studing in Sydney now? BTW, where is the giant Ferrari flag you used to post? :bsmilie:

Hurray!! F1 racing at our own "doorstep":thumbsup: But shooting at night is going to be a challenge.

I read in papers that the track will have illuminance of 1600 Lux. Brighter than football stadium, so I think it is possible to shoot. The thing is, dunno can get tickets or not or is it expensive.

Maybe we can MO for the tickets? :sweatsm:

But seriously, maybe we can go together. (with the exception of Bro. asterixsg, as he has mentioned that he will not be going. :rolleyes:)

Ooo you in studing in Sydney now? BTW, where is the giant Ferrari flag you used to post? :bsmilie:

Yeah! In UNSW.

SFX8899-ferrari-mini-scudetto-flag.jpg

But seriously, maybe we can go together. (with the exception of Bro. asterixsg, as he has mentioned that he will not be going. :rolleyes:)

Tixs will start selling in Dec. Maybe we can pre-order :)

I'll look out for you guys on TV :bsmilie:
My office is on a high floor in the CBD. I might just watch it from there, if they don't block the windows. I heard a theory that all the window space will be sold to advertisers :dunno:
Sounds ridiculous, but then anything is possible in Singapore.

If you want flags (team or country), lemme know. I'll get them from Shanghai when I go next.

If you want flags (team or country), lemme know. I'll get them from Shanghai when I go next.

Get those super huge ones! The cameras will always focus on you :bsmilie:

I read in papers that the track will have illuminance of 1600 Lux. Brighter than football stadium, so I think it is possible to shoot. The thing is, dunno can get tickets or not or is it expensive.

I think Nico Rosberg tested this lighting system in a circuit in Europe (can't remember in Italy, Spain or France...). He did that even in simulated wet conditions on the track to check out the reflection of lights off the track. After the test, apparently he said that it was so bright that the drivers might invest in sunglasses to cut down the glare :bsmilie:

I think it will definitely be possible to shoot lah. The tickets would be mighty expensive though. And I don't want to waste my hard earned money on a race in Singapore. Let the foreigners come and boost the economy, I've done enough on my part.

With the nite race on History is being made but ppl will not get to see our beautiful skyline, marina bay backdrop, no more sceneary for the driver n the world to see!

Haiz........Oh well........Gain some n lose some :bsmilie:

But we are able to fly our FERRARI flag at our backyard!!!:vhappy:

I'll look out for you guys on TV :bsmilie:
My office is on a high floor in the CBD. I might just watch it from there, if they don't block the windows. I heard a theory that all the window space will be sold to advertisers :dunno:
Sounds ridiculous, but then anything is possible in Singapore.

Can we bunk in? I will bring beer. Ask wendy to supply chips.. and Ramius to provide race queens. Zoosh be the official cameraman. :D

Yeah! In UNSW.

no wonder didn't see you in SG for some time liao. heh... didn't even know you when over to Sydney. how's life there dude? brought your gears over? still shooting in Sydney?

if i get to be part of the marshalling team, then i may not hang out with you guys. else... can always go and watch together.

Hurray!! F1 racing at our own "doorstep":thumbsup: But shooting at night is going to be a challenge.

nah... with the D3 around... nothing is impossible :thumbsup:

Status
Not open for further replies.