F1: British GP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Raikkonen on P1!!! Finally, the Iceman comes in from the cold.

Hopefully, his engine stays in one piece during the race.

From Planet-F1:

"McLaren are back. Kimi Raikkonen has grabbed pole position for the British GP in the new MP4-19B, with Jenson having to settle for splitting the Ferraris by taking third. Just a shame that McLaren didn't have this car in March. But Sunday's race should be a cracker..."

And Schumi may be the best driver in history, but he's still a twit. Also from Planet-F1:

"It's surely one of the most bizarre claims in F1 history, but Michael Schumacher has announced that he deliberately spun in pre-qualifying for the British GP.

With the teams - wrongly - expecting rain at the end of the second qualifying session, Silverstone spectators were greeted by the absurd sight of cars slowing down at the end of their lap in pre-qualifying to ensure they would be one of the first cars out in the second session.

A spin by Michael Schumacher, though, meant that he didn't have to slow down through the final corners during his lap. However, the World Champion has claimed that the only reason he didn't need to slow down was because he had already chosen to slow down with the spin.

Asked about the spin on ITV, Michael announced haughtily: "Let's just say it was for strategical reasons."

Upon the incredulous interviewer questioning whether he genuinely spun to slow down, Michael tartly answered: "Would I say so if I didn't?"

Considering the damage that a spin could have caused to his car, it does seem a little far-fetched, however. After all, there are simpler methods for slowing down for 'strategic reasons'. One, for instance, is commonly called 'braking'." "

What have McLaren done to their car? Chassis modifications only, right? As far as I know they left the engine alone?

If they did ... then it's probably going to be another bye-bye for them.

Amfibius said:
What have McLaren done to their car? Chassis modifications only, right? As far as I know they left the engine alone?

If they did ... then it's probably going to be another bye-bye for them.
That's right, chassis and aerodynamics package. But I suspect that they have detuned the engine for better reliability, since they seem to be able to make up the speed with the new car. We'll find out tomorrow, I guess...

The Prancing Horse has done it again.... Nothing to do with luck i reckon, just a fantastic strategy by Ferrari once again!!

Shumi started on P-4 but I guessed he took a heavier fuel load for a 2 stop strategy!! Fantastic!! And the Bridgestones were able to run longer with better grip then the Michelins! :thumbsup: And Kimi got a chance to catch up (he was on a 3 stop strategy) when the safety car came out and entered the pits early.... but..... too bad...

McLaren is not as good in their pit stop strategy as Ferrari. Good to see McLaren being competitive finally. Think Coulthard had lost his edge, lost out to a Sauber.

kingpin said:
McLaren is not as good in their pit stop strategy as Ferrari. Good to see McLaren being competitive finally. Think Coulthard had lost his edge, lost out to a Sauber.
Actually, I'm just happy that McLaren finished the race intact. And you really have to hand it to the Ferrari guys for their pit stop strategy. Not the first time that it has made a major difference to the outcome.

Rumour has it that Mika Hakkinen is considering a return. Pity that McLaren has committed to that Colombian Crybaby for next season, otherwise, can you imagine two Flying Finns at McLaren? Whoa.....

i really hope mika makes a return
he's the most fantastic driver i ever seen n got me hook to formula1 hahaz

i hope mclaren will welcome him back anytime if he really does consider coming back

staz said:
i really hope mika makes a return
he's the most fantastic driver i ever seen n got me hook to formula1 hahaz

i hope mclaren will welcome him back anytime if he really does consider coming back
Let me guess, you must have loved his three-abreast overtaking maneouvre in Belgium/Spa in 2000, when he went past on the inside while Schumacher was trying to get past backmarker Zonta on the outside.

Schumi never saw it coming. Wonderful.

Status
Not open for further replies.