F-stops

Dec 11, 2010
I realised that i don't know what a f-stop means nor how it measures or calculate. so i sourced for a few literature and hopefully after reading 18 pages worth of literature, i can catch more ball abt it...

wish me luck...

Edwin Francis

Mar 24, 2006
www.sgwriter.com
There's a whole bunch of good tutorials out there, including the excellent Newbies guide put together by Sulhan, as mentioned by Catchlights.
I would suggest that you don't just read through them, but have your camera handy, and TRY OUT whatever is being covered, at your own pace. It's called experiential learning -- read something and without practice you'll probably forget it quickly; do it a few times (and understand what you are doing), and the lesson will stay with you far longer.

kei1309

Apr 12, 2010
Earth
www.facebook.com
hey TS bro, didn't you attend the Sony Digital Workshop complimentary course when you bought your camera? shouldn't they have taught that? even Canon Digital Labs does i believe.

MarineX

Deregistered
Dec 25, 2009
hey TS bro, didn't you attend the Sony Digital Workshop complimentary course when you bought your camera? shouldn't they have taught that? even Canon Digital Labs does i believe.
the canon 1 merely show you a basic 1 and did not explain in detail

Dec 11, 2010
hahaha.. Kei, is it worth it having a stomach upset or not? lol

i did attend the SDW course but some parts werent covered in details..

Octarine

Staff member
Jan 3, 2008
Pasir Ris
i did attend the SDW course but some parts werent covered in details..
We have a section about Tutorials and Workshops. If the basic course and al your reading is not able to help you then I think you better spend some money of a good training. It will also cover many other aspects, like composition. In the end, you could leave the aperture and f-stop topic to the camera (to a certain extend), but not the composition. So don't get caught up with this detail too much.

edutilos-

Dec 28, 2010
The Universe
www.facebook.com
I realised that i don't know what a f-stop means nor how it measures or calculate. so i sourced for a few literature and hopefully after reading 18 pages worth of literature, i can catch more ball abt it...

wish me luck...
Actually I still don't know what a f-stop means. I only know that the number runs contrary to aperture size - that's the hole in your lens that allows light through to attain the image on your media (sensor/film). To me, I'm doing photography, not studying how a camera works. And in photography, all I care about for f-stop and apertures is how it relates to getting the images I want. That's pretty simple, larger aperture = more light entering in the same period = shorter shutter speed required = less DOF = smaller f-stop. Cheers.

Top Bottom