F stop in camera and lens

Status
Not open for further replies.

zhuqe

Oct 29, 2005
Hi,

I'm a DSLR newbie, and just purchased D80.
I'm a bit confuse about the f stop in lens and camera. What's the relation ?
my lens kit is 1/f is 3.5 - 5.6 and the camera can go as low as 1/22.

when i test a night shot with small appeture and long exposure can see much different when i played with camera f stop.

thanks for reading and advice

cheers !

zhuqe said:
Hi,

when i test a night shot with small appeture and long exposure can see much different when i played with camera f stop.

cheers !
ur camera only set the aperture... it does't mean that your camera is able to go as low as f22 (camera doesn't have aperture, it depend on the lens)

and what do you mean by much different?

XC Pictorial said:
Dont be surprised but if u do look at ur nikon d80 manual..
its all stated there. :)

Yeah.

Wow a beginner and T/S bought the D80? Good choice, but now suggest TS go for a basic photography course first to learn the basics of photography. Also check out the library and online resources. What's the use of a best equipment, if one does not know how to use if effectively?

the f numbers that u see printed on the lens are the maximum apertures for the lens. Remember, big number equals small aperture, so when we say maximum aperture, we mean smallest number. The camera only control the aperture of the lens. It does not limit it. Zoom lenses have f3.5-5.6 or whatever cos the numbers are the maximum apertures at the widest end of the zoom lens and the most telephoto end of the zoom lens. The maximum possible aperture changes as you zoom. Try and see. A 50mm f1.8 gives has only one maximum aperture because it does not zoom. An expensive 'pro' zoom lens has what we call constant maximum aperture cos it has a maximum aperture of f2.8 or whatever from wide to telephoto.

zhuqe said:
Hi,

cheers !

The lense is 18-135mm right? The f=stop on the lense shows the largest aperture that the lense is capable of opening up to, in this case at 18mm its 3.5, while it slowly goes down to 5.6 at 135mm. Aperture is the size of the opening which allows light to come in. The f-22 is the smallest aperture size. You can choose the range of 3.5/5.6 - 22 when you take a shot. There is also the smallest aperture that the lense is capable of going to. Check your manual?...;)

blive said:
The lense is 18-135mm right? The f=stop on the lense shows the largest aperture that the lense is capable of opening up to, in this case at 18mm its 3.5, while it slowly goes down to 5.6 at 135mm. Aperture is the size of the opening which allows light to come in. The f-22 is the smallest aperture size. You can choose the range of 3.5/5.6 - 22 when you take a shot. There is also the smallest aperture that the lense is capable of going to. Check your manual?...;)

Heheh, I think your explanation is better :) :thumbsup:

wow, thanks guys. don't expect so many responds.

i meant i can't see much different.

ExplorerZ said:
ur camera only set the aperture... it does't mean that your camera is able to go as low as f22 (camera doesn't have aperture, it depend on the lens)

and what do you mean by much different?

Hi, Try to find a photography course for Nikon, so far only can find Canon.
Any advice ?

blive said:
Yeah.

Wow a beginner and T/S bought the D80? Good choice, but now suggest TS go for a basic photography course first to learn the basics of photography. Also check out the library and online resources. What's the use of a best equipment, if one does not know how to use if effectively?

hi still a bit confuse.
are you saying that if i set f/22 in camera and my lens max is f/5.6 then the effective f stop is only 5.6 ?

blive said:

zhuqe said:
hi still a bit confuse.
are you saying that if i set f/22 in camera and my lens max is f/5.6 then the effective f stop is only 5.6 ?
no... if you set if @ f22, your lens will be adjusted to f22 as well.. f5.6 is the bigesst you can go and f22 is the smallest.

blive said:
Thanks. your explanation is quite good. I just speaking as a non professional...;)

This is very basic probably jus enough for a prosumer user
however to make the best of ur d80 u need to fully understand the concepts behind aperture, shutter, ISO and how all of these work together to create ur exposure, and the by-effects of different settings including DOF, grain etc...
:)

I dont suggest courses. I have never gone for a single one of them till now, and i dont intend to.. :)

Set up a shot at about 18mm or 24mm or 50mm on the lens (do all if you have the time to kill), with a subject at about 2m away from you (like your gf), and lots of background details, like some shops, trees, etc. Focus on that subject, and shot at 3.5, 5.6, 8, 11, 16, 22. On a bright sunny day, please.

Download the shots and see the difference. If the day is not sunny, expect some shakes at the 16-22 end.

You should see the depth-of-field increase from 3.5 to 22. If you don't understand DOF, then read the manual, buy a book, take a course, etc.

Bro you are a bit far from being able to benefit from forum participation. No offence meant.

Hi all, thanks

I think i got it now
at 18mm i can adjust aperture from 3.5 - 22
at 135mm i can adjust aperture from 5.6 - 22

no wonder lens with small number f-stop is more expensive.

thanks again.

no... if you set if @ f22, your lens will be adjusted to f22 as well.. f5.6 is the bigesst you can go and f22 is the smallest.

Status
Not open for further replies.