F*, FA*, DA*300mm which is better?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pinholecam

Staff member
Jul 23, 2007
Putting this on my scope.
But which is better? Esp. Performance wide open
Why many like the F* and FA* even though its 0.5 stops slower than the DA*?

From what I can gather, their prices are rather close.

I've never managed to find a shootout of all 3, though I assume the F* and FA* are similar optically.

sbc

Jun 27, 2005
West of Singapore
I had the F* and DA*.

F* - smaller and easier to carry around. I like the retracting lens hood alot!

D* - WR but long. I hate the bayonet lens hood. Not so easy to attach in a hurry. Close it down to f4.5 and you cant tell the diff btw this and the F*

creampuff

Jul 11, 2006
Dover
The F* and FA* versions are pretty compact. The DA* 300 is a little bigger and has that huge bayonet mount hood. At any rate all are good optically even wide open. Obviously the DA* has the silent SDM, weather sealing and f/4. Perhaps most of the 300mm prime shooters like their lenses to be white in colour. :think:

I'm with flowerpot, the DA* 200mm is a stunning lens. Uber sharp, focuses fast. I had a great time when I loaned one. Anyway fengwei is the authority on the 300mm as I think he's done some test shops with all of them. pinholecam, the one you gotta put on your radar is the FA* 300mm f/2.8 ED-IF... :eek:

pinholecam

Staff member
Jul 23, 2007
The F* and FA* versions are pretty compact. The DA* 300 is a little bigger and has that huge bayonet mount hood. At any rate all are good optically even wide open. Obviously the DA* has the silent SDM, weather sealing and f/4. Perhaps most of the 300mm prime shooters like their lenses to be white in colour. :think:

I'm with flowerpot, the DA* 200mm is a stunning lens. Uber sharp, focuses fast. I had a great time when I loaned one. Anyway fengwei is the authority on the 300mm as I think he's done some test shops with all of them. pinholecam, the one you gotta put on your radar is the FA* 300mm f/2.8 ED-IF... :eek:
Thanks for the inputs so far.
I already have the 55-300, which is excellent in most cases, but at times, I feel its a tad too slow (f5.8 at 300mm). All it takes is a shady spot or very cloudy day to drop shutter speed below 1/300. I'd then have to crank up the ISO.

Yes, the DA*200 does seem to be good from what I have read. A bit cheaper than the 300mm if I am not wrong. :think:
Only thing not going for it is that its reach is short.

300/2.8, I think I will need to bring a pull cart for the lens :D

creampuff

Jul 11, 2006
Dover
Can also consider the DA* 60-250mm... it's like having the 50-135mm, 200mm and 300mm all combined in one lens.

iFoto

Apr 18, 2007
North
My vote is also F*300. But I never use the other two before.
I was sold because of its compactness and wide open performance. I did not consider DA* because of size and weight, SDM.
Always shoot wide open and never disappointed with the result.

During last outing, got a chance to test F*300 with Vivitar 2X Macro Focusing Teleconverter. Effective focal length is 600mm. Still able to shoot hand held with this setup.

BTW, F*300 is in White color too.;)

pinholecam

Staff member
Jul 23, 2007
No ah, maybe you heard too many SDM failure bedtime stories :bigeyes:
He is waiting for the FF that is yet to come down from Pentax heaven :)

I've used all three, F*300 gets my vote, and I'm still keeping one ;)

I've done a quick comparison here:
http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=400617

Pity the photos have been removed from my photobucket ...
Thank again. You are the guru man!
I'm probably decided on the F*. I just want to see if I can live with my other 2 telephoto lenses before committing the $$$.

My vote is also F*300. But I never use the other two before.
I was sold because of its compactness and wide open performance. I did not consider DA* because of size and weight, SDM.
Always shoot wide open and never disappointed with the result.

During last outing, got a chance to test F*300 with Vivitar 2X Macro Focusing Teleconverter. Effective focal length is 600mm. Still able to shoot hand held with this setup.

BTW, F*300 is in White color too.;)
Yes, I saw your lens. Nice and small for a 300mm probably quite near the 55-300mm in size.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom