EZLink Card lifespan.. how long?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sloth

Jul 5, 2007
Was just thinking about my EZLink card that has served so well for so many years. So long until cannot even remember when I got it liao. (yes I date back to the time of the blue magnetic contact cards and use until you can see the metal underneath).

Anyway... how long is the lifespan of such cards? Do they 'expire' and die like the cashcards? Am wondering if I should get a replacement EZLink just in case suay suay kena... you know, it will always happen at the worst possible time, when you are late for work, when you have a super-important meeting that day, etc.etc. ;)

Ha ha. I know what you mean, but since you can buy a ticket from any machine I guess it doesn't matter...unless you have to take the bus...and have no cash! :D I've been using mine for almost 6 years and it still seems fine. I guess there is not really any limit? :D

there is a limit and expiry. can check from ticketing machine at mrt station

Was just thinking about my EZLink card that has served so well for so many years. ...
Just curious - if you get an extra EZLink, how would you carry it around? Coz if you put both cards in the wallet, won't you get charged twice when scanning?

Just curious - if you get an extra EZLink, how would you carry it around? Coz if you put both cards in the wallet, won't you get charged twice when scanning?

It won't be charge. It will have an error on the reader. You can only scan ONE card at a time. That's why sometimes on the bus, you will hear an error sound due to 2 reasons....one of course there are 2 cards in a wallet or the more common ones is people trying to get on board or alight the bus trying to scan while you are scanning at the same time.

It won't be charge. It will have an error on the reader. You can only scan ONE card at a time. That's why sometimes on the bus, you will hear an error sound due to 2 reasons....one of course there are 2 cards in a wallet or the more common ones is people trying to get on board or alight the bus trying to scan while you are scanning at the same time.
Yeah, which was the point i was trying to make. It's a little troublesome bcoz you can't keep both cards in the same wallet, so got to stuff the other card in a pocket or bag.

Previously i had my sentosa Islander card and ezlink card in my wallet, i had error too.
got to separate them but now it seems ok.

Thanks for the tips. I checked and have one card that is going to die in January next year.. maybe time to preemptively replace liao.

Was just thinking about my EZLink card that has served so well for so many years. So long until cannot even remember when I got it liao. (yes I date back to the time of the blue magnetic contact cards and use until you can see the metal underneath).

Anyway... how long is the lifespan of such cards? Do they 'expire' and die like the cashcards? Am wondering if I should get a replacement EZLink just in case suay suay kena... you know, it will always happen at the worst possible time, when you are late for work, when you have a super-important meeting that day, etc.etc. ;)

of course got expiry... so that they can sell u one at $5 a pop...

Previously i had my sentosa Islander card and ezlink card in my wallet, i had error too.
got to separate them but now it seems ok.

ezlink card is rf-id card. Islander card is not, it's not interfering in that sense but could be blockage cutting down on sensitivity.

ezlink card is rf-id card. Islander card is not, it's not interfering in that sense but could be blockage cutting down on sensitivity.

peekarwe, ezlink is rf-id. Then what about the Blue Butterfly Design NETS CashCard? (with the Combi Usage logo).
See: http://www.nets.com.sg/images/consumers/ncc/card_blue.gif

I felt that the CashCard is interfering with the ezlink card.

Comments?

Thanks.

They just told me my EZLink card is expired. Wow, has it been seven years already?

That's what I was thinking.......where did all the years go? And what the heck happened to me in the meantime? :sweat:

EZ-LINK CARD EXPIRY EXTENSION EXERCISE

EZ-Link has collaborated with TransitLink and the Public Transport Operators to extend the use of your ez-link card. With immediate effect, all ez-link cards can be automatically extended for a further 2 years simply by a top-up before they expire.

The rationale for extending the lifespan of the card is to benefit you so that you will not have to purchase another ez-link card while the card is still useful.

Please note that while the lifespan of the card has been extended, the warranty period on the card remains valid only for the first 5 years from the date of purchase. However, cardholders are reminded to continue to take good care of their cards to fully benefit from the extension of the expiry date on their ez-link cards.

If your ez-link card has expired, you can get a refund on the remaining value of the expired. ez-link card at any TransitLink Ticket Office.

EZ-Link Card Expiry Extension Exercise - FAQ

Q1 : How long is my ez-link card extended for?

The Expiry Extension exercise automatically extends the expiry date of your ez-link card for a further 2 years as long as the card is topped up before it expires. The usage of the card is now set to a maximum of 7 years from the date of purchase.

For example, the initial expiry date for all ez-link cards that were issued and purchased since 2002 was set at 5 years. With the Expiry Extension exercise, each time you perform a top-up, your ez-link card remains valid for a 5 year period from the date it was last topped up, up to a maximum of 7 years as long as you have topped up your ez-link card before the card expires.

Q2 : Where can I check the expiry date of my ez-link card?

You may check the expiry date of your ez-link card at:
  1. TransitLink Ticket Office
  2. Passenger Service Centre
  3. General Ticketing Machine
  4. Add Value Machine
  5. EZ-Online (an Internet based service found at EZ-Link website:www.ezlink.com.sg which requires a smartcard reader)
Q3 : Which types of ez-link cards qualify for the Expiry Extension?
  1. Adult Cards
  2. Senior Citizen Cards
  3. Tertiary Cards that have been converted to an Adult card upon graduation
  4. Full Time NS Men Cards that have been converted to an Adult card upon O.R.D.
Should you encounter any problems extending the expiry date, please approach any TransitLink Ticket Office for assistance.

Q4 : Where can I top-up my ez-link card to extend its expiry date?
You may top-up your ez-link card through these channels:
  4. Add Value Machine
  5. Internet Top-ups via EZ-Online
  6. Auto Top-up schemes (Bank GIRO and Auto Credit Card Top-up Facility)
  7. 7-Eleven
Upon a successful top-up at the following devices, you can request for a receipt which will carry the extended expiry date:
  4. Add Value Machine
Q5 : Where can I get a refund for my expired card?

You will have to file for a deferred refund at any TransitLink Ticket Office by surrendering your ez-link card. A refund receipt with a 11 digit claim number will be issued.

Q6 : What is the length of time for me to claim for a refund on my expired ez-link card?
  1. If your ez-link card expires on the 5th year, you will have 7 years thereafter to file a claim for a refund.
  2. If your ez-link card expires on the 7th year, you will have 5 years thereafter to file a claim for a refund.
Q7 : Can I get a replacement card after its extended expiry date?

While the lifespan of the card has been extended, the warranty period on the card remains valid only for the first 5 years from the date it was purchased. A card can only be replaced if it cannot be read by our system.

Q8 : Can I use my ez-link card with the extended lifespan for payments at retail outlets like McDonalds?

QB, our non-transit acquirer, is in the process of upgrading all retail terminals to accept ez-link cards with the extended expiry date. The upgrade is expected to be completed by March 2007.

Q9 : Can I top-up my ez-link card at the retail terminals?

ez-link cards that are expired or have been extended cannot be topped-up at retail terminals at the moment. However, QB, our non-transit acquirer, is in the process of upgrading all retail terminals and we expect the upgrade to complete by March 2007. In the meantime, you may still continue to top up these ez-link cards in the transit environment.

For more information, please approach our agents at any TransitLink Ticket Office, TransitLink Call Centre at 1800-2255-663

http://www.ezlink.com.sg/faq_expiryext.htm

Status
Not open for further replies.