Eyesight and NS

qwerty628

Jan 3, 2010
Hey guys,

I have an eyesight of around 800 for both eyes? So does that mean i cant go ndu or cdo? What others can i still go? Can i still go guards? Or do i get to slack as clerk etc next time. :bsmilie:

If i lasik/lasek/pkr my eyes then can join those units? Better still, can go rsaf be pilot if i fix my eyes?:bsmilie:

Hey guys,

I have an eyesight of around 800 for both eyes? So does that mean i cant go ndu or cdo? What others can i still go? Can i still go guards? Or do i get to slack as clerk etc next time. :bsmilie:

If i lasik/lasek/pkr my eyes then can join those units? Better still, can go rsaf be pilot if i fix my eyes?:bsmilie:

My eyesight also high degrees (1k both sides), but i not like u, i want a slack vocation lol

From wad i read from the Pre NS info booklet (just got mine yesterday), you are advised not to go for any eye surgery before NS. Not sure of the reason, but i dun think it'll affect you that much.

I heard that Mindef would sponsor you for one if they think you are talented enough or something. Can anyone who has info confirm?

For me is either super hiong or super slack. Either commando/ndu or at least guards, ocs, or super slack job. Heh:bsmilie:

Anyone know how to increase chances of going cdo? I know you can't choose but surely can like express interest somewhere to boost your chances can you?

From wad i read from the Pre NS info booklet (just got mine yesterday), you are advised not to go for any eye surgery before NS. Not sure of the reason, but i dun think it'll affect you that much.

I heard that Mindef would sponsor you for one if they think you are talented enough or something. Can anyone who has info confirm?

I think cos if u have it just before ns, complications may develop especially if u talkibg about lasik. Normally if military (not sg though, i read it somewhere else) want to send you fix eyes, they'll send you for pkr/lasek. The procedure for pkr/lasek different from lasik. One involves cutting your cornea a bit, leaving perma weakened eye while the other doesnt cut the cornea but has a longer and more painful recovery. If you do a lot of water stuff or crazy stuff(military training?) dont to lasik. Go pkr/lasek

you cant express interest either. the only way to ensure you get into CDO is to sign on as a regular.

they choose based on the tests you did at CMPB prior to enlistment.

My understanding is that for cosmetic surgery like lasik, servicemen is not able to claim.

Therefore, I seriously doubt Mindef will even sponsor any individual for such surgery.

Do Lasik at your own money. SAF will not pay for cosmetic surgery. Even if you are high flyer. Unless your eyes was injured during active duty then they might consider.

Dam.... So only was is to get pes a and hope u get picked for va and hope cdo choose you after va?

What are requirements for pes a btw?

Don't know actually. Maybe must be fit, pass IPPT with gold award during school time. No medica problem. etc etc. Actually ppl want to siam pes A and kanna a relax duty ... seem like you on the oppersit side.

Do note that if you are injure during your NS time, SAF only pay for the medical during your tour of duty. But if your injury is perm and long term effect, sorry, SAF will not feed you till old lor.

Dam.... So only was is to get pes a and hope u get picked for va and hope cdo choose you after va?

What are requirements for pes a btw?
u shld receive a pre-enlistment booklet which includes details such as PES statuses, etc.

i heard that u'll stand a higher chance of CDO if u're PES A and have siblings.

u can stop dreaming about being a RSAF pilot unless u sign on. (even signing on does not guarantee you to become a pilot. there's a computerised test, interview, medical checkup, tests, training, etc), drop out rate is around 90%.

You can join Guards but do have spare glasses during training. Commandos and Pilot vocation are out of reach.

From what I heard from the medic in my camp during my serivce, they even reject folks with 10% colour blindness for the last 2 mentioned vocations and many people who wanted to join the those vocations unfortunately fall in that minor colour issue category.

:)

US_Flag_color_blind.png

Last edited:
You can join Guards but do have spare glasses during training. Commandos and Pilot vocation are out of reach.

From what I heard from the medic in my camp during my serivce, they even reject folks with 10% colour blindness for the last 2 mentioned vocations and many people who wanted to join the those vocations unfortunately fall in that minor colour issue category.
just to emphasize again that no one can choose where they want to go for their NSF vocation. pilot is also out of the question for NSFs

u shld receive a pre-enlistment booklet which includes details such as PES statuses, etc.

i heard that u'll stand a higher chance of CDO if u're PES A and have siblings.

u can stop dreaming about being a RSAF pilot unless u sign on. (even signing on does not guarantee you to become a pilot. there's a computerised test, interview, medical checkup, tests, training, etc), drop out rate is around 90%.

pre enlistment booklet still a long long time away for me. Heh. Yea i know abt the pilot 12 year bond. Its quite siao? 2 years to train you to be' world class' pilot. Then after that do 10 years or something like tat

Last edited:

:)

US_Flag_color_blind.png

Guards heli borne trooper right? What do guards normally do in training? o_O

Don't know actually. Maybe must be fit, pass IPPT with gold award during school time. No medica problem. etc etc. Actually ppl want to siam pes A and kanna a relax duty ... seem like you on the oppersit side.

Do note that if you are injure during your NS time, SAF only pay for the medical during your tour of duty. But if your injury is perm and long term effect, sorry, SAF will not feed you till old lor.

Yea. We all know how mindef is. Haha. Relax duty very difficult la... How many relax duty are there man?