EYE-FI PRO 4GB SD Card Review

Status
Not open for further replies.

peterpan1975

Dec 23, 2007
Finally the card is here after much long awaiting. Decided to do a mini review on the card. One thing to take note before I start the review

For those ppl who thinking of using this card as an Event WIFI support card, FORGET it. It will and confirm will not meet your HIGH Standard.

This is a Fun and photo hobbyist's salvation to WIFI file transfer. Not to mention cheaper compare to those original camera WIFI Unit.

So without holding back here are the review.

=======================================================

This card was purchase thru B&H photo @ USD $119.95 (org USD$149). Item unable to ship to SG due restriction impost by Eye-fi vender, thus item was relay to frz at US then re-post to SG.

======================================================

Following test were carried out within line of sight.

Using Home Wireless connection

Setup: LX3 + EYE-FI card + Macbook 10.6

1) setting up was a breeze.
2) login to eye-fi manager thru : https://manager.eye.fi/login.php (require internet)
3) insert into LX3
4) photo transfer to system every single shoots

Note: Transfer rate avg. 3sec per pic (depend on wifi connection)

Setup: 1Dmk3 + EYE-FI card + SD->CF card reader + Macbook 10.6

able to transfer the pic but with some delay. It was due to the
following issue.
i) SD->CF card reader's metal casing
II) Build of 1D

========================================================

Using Ad-hoc connection (more complex then single wifi setup)

Setup: LX3 + EYE-FI card + WinXp pro

No issue. Able to receive image from LX3

Setup: Nikon D70 + EYE-FI card + SD->CF card reader + WinXp pro

1) insert card to D70
2) able to shoot and transmit to Winxp

Setup: LX3 + EYE-FI card + Macbook 10.6

No issue with such setup

Setup: Canon 1D mark III + EYE-FI card + SD->CF card reader + Macbook 10.6

1) insert card to 1D mark III
2) able to shoot and transmit to Macbook

========================================

List of Camera tested

1) Canon 1Dmk3
2) Panasonic LUMIX LX3
3) Canon 40D
5) Nikon D70
6) Nikon D90

=========================================

Unsupported model

1) Samsung Ex1 (*show card not supported)

Conclusion

Pros:
1) Cheap compare to other original camera WIFI attachment unit
2) Easy to use interface setup
3) Interface easily with almost any Camera
4) Once setup done, rest is PnP
5) Can hold 30 pre-config wireless set up
6) Upload to facebook, tweeter, etc easily
7) GeoTag (Must have internet access)
8) Has Event Log files function (a list of transmit record)

Cons:
1) Limit distance (UsingAD-HOC config, 3m-4m with line of sight).
2) Ad-hoc not very stable

Last edited:
Pairing up
eye-fi-pro-4gb-sd-card.jpg

PC & MAC friendly
eye-fi-pro-4gb-card-installation-_03.jpg

Eye-fi camera compatiability List
=====================

Canon
1Dmk3
5Dmk1
Powershot 20IS
40D
50D

Nikon
D90
D70
D300

Panasonic
LX3
G2

Sony
A330

Last edited:
There have been user feedback on other forums that the SD->CF card reader makes the transmission unreliable. Glad that urs worked out fine!

good review

ryan

Hey that is my macbook! :bsmilie:
Good to see the item working good. :)

You should say " THats USE-To-be my macbook" :p LoL ..

There have been user feedback on other forums that the SD->CF card reader makes the transmission unreliable. Glad that urs worked out fine!

good review

ryan

Those user who complain SD -> CF card issue might want to remove the metal bracket on the surface of the CF adpt. So far that should be the one that limit the Wifi Transmission. Anyway i would say this is a value for $$ if compare to those Original equipment.

Interesting test. poison :heart:

I thought that I read from Eye-Fi website that only Eye-Fi Home works with the SD-> CF card converter?

what is the diff between ad-hoc and via wifi?

why didnt u use the sd card slot on the 1d3?

Did test on that slot and it work. But want to test the CF adpt so that i can use this on almost any Brands of camera. :p

Interesting test. poison :heart:

I thought that I read from Eye-Fi website that only Eye-Fi Home works with the SD-> CF card converter?

what is the diff between ad-hoc and via wifi?

Actually, i think all SD eye-fi should be able to with with CF adpt. I dont see any reason why it can't. I can't confirm it cos I only got the pro version.

Ad-hoc is a setup that does not require any wireless router or any form of wifi network other than its own. E.G: laptop will be a Transmit and receive station.

Wifi or wireless LAN require a WIFI router. The transmit and receive power gives more range compair to Ad-hoc. not to mention more stable connection.

But if you are shooting at "line of sign" to the laptop, Ad-hoc works well.

You welcome :p

Did test on that slot and it work. But want to test the CF adpt so that i can use this on almost any Brands of camera. :p

Actually, i think all SD eye-fi should be able to with with CF adpt. I dont see any reason why it can't. I can't confirm it cos I only got the pro version.

Ad-hoc is a setup that does not require any wireless router or any form of wifi network other than its own. E.G: laptop will be a Transmit and receive station.

Wifi or wireless LAN require a WIFI router. The transmit and receive power gives more range compair to Ad-hoc. not to mention more stable connection.

But if you are shooting at "line of sign" to the laptop, Ad-hoc works well.

cool... thanks for explaining.

did u test out by transferring raw files?

did try out once but due the fact raw are very big, so the time taken will be slightly longer. I also try doing video transfer .. so far it works but the distance is around my room so cant really comment much if bring to bigger space.

ic ic. i would have used both slots. 1 to tranfer and 1 to store. is that possible to do?

I don't see why not. :p 1Dmk3 can do seprated task. but either way eye-fi also stores those photos that was transmit to the pc inside its 4GB space. You still have your pic inside the SD card and Laptop :p

I don't see why not. :p 1Dmk3 can do seprated task. but either way eye-fi also stores those photos that was transmit to the pc inside its 4GB space. You still have your pic inside the SD card and Laptop :p

wow...that's good. a backup too!

Yup, so far not bad ... for something that able to work with lots of version of system. But of course the trade off will be the Range lor.

Anyway, i cool to do a demo for those who are interested in this thing. But I would also like to test on other varity of system. So if any brothers or sisters got other model of cam using SD and would like to contribute, just PM or Denniskee. We will be happy to share some knowledge on this eye-fi card.

Last edited:
no choice. Thats the limitation of the cam rather than the card

you welcome bro. Denniskee also did that review on the Pt04. It works .... nice one :)

Status
Not open for further replies.