Eye-Fi in Nikon

Gabriel Teo

Nov 11, 2013
I think that the eye-fi sd cards serve a really great function, I can download my images to all my devices without fuss. BUT the only issue is it's read/write speed. The Pro X2 16GB is max 22mb/s, a little too slow for my liking.

So here is my question. How does a nikon dslr write on to the sd cards when the second slot is set to be a back-up/duplicate. Does it write on both sd cards at the same time? Or does it write on a single card first? I'm sure you guys can see where i'm going with this.

Does it write on both sd cards at the same time?

For the D800, Nikon claims that it's simultaneous.

You can also use two cards simultaneously for a number of functions, such as recording JPEG and RAW data on separate cards, recording the same data simultaneously on two cards for backup and more.

http://imaging.nikon.com/lineup/dslr/d800/features04.htm

Have also read somewhere that if you're using backup mode, the write speed for both will be reduced to that of the slower card.

Should be simultaneously.

Of course, it would be slower, however, never really felt the pinch in speed on a D600 when shooting backup mode.

Gabriel,

Those eye-fi transfer speeds over wireless are painfully slow. I tried it with the D610 on RAW files. we gave up as the speed was unworkable for live transfer to a PC for editing during a live event. We needed edited photos ready for certificates by the end of the event.

I do however, now own a WU-1b just to transfer happy snaps taken with the D610 to a smart device so that I can upload quick pics to facebook, etc. Handy during holidays with relatives where spending time editing on the PC is scarce when away from home and everyone wants photos quick. So if the phone camera will not suffice, I use the WU-1b to share the photos.

Gabriel,

Those eye-fi transfer speeds over wireless are painfully slow. I tried it with the D610 on RAW files. we gave up as the speed was unworkable for live transfer to a PC for editing during a live event. We needed edited photos ready for certificates by the end of the event.

I do however, now own a WU-1b just to transfer happy snaps taken with the D610 to a smart device so that I can upload quick pics to facebook, etc. Handy during holidays with relatives where spending time editing on the PC is scarce when away from home and everyone wants photos quick. So if the phone camera will not suffice, I use the WU-1b to share the photos.

With an effective distance of 6m and the D610 producing a filesize of 24mp RAW, it would have been better to transfer a JPEG Medium and edit it instead.

Even with the WT-4, it's still painfully slow to transfer RAW files.

With an effective distance of 6m and the D610 producing a filesize of 24mp RAW, it would have been better to transfer a JPEG Medium and edit it instead.

Even with the WT-4, it's still painfully slow to transfer RAW files.

Yes, definitely. I just needed to shoot in RAW for the "just in case" aspect of shooting an important live event.

Why don't you have an assistant helping you swap cards from camera to editing station, if you must shoot in raw... :)

Gabriel,

Yes, definitely. I just needed to shoot in RAW for the "just in case" aspect of shooting an important live event.

RAW+JPEG and transfer only the JPEG.

Important live even also won't screw up too much that you need the RAW that badly.

The solution is as mentioned above this post.

Why don't you have an assistant helping you swap cards from camera to editing station, if you must shoot in raw... :)
That's what we have been doing in the past. Just thought that we should embrace and explore new technology. In the past, I was only using CF cards (D700) but with the D610, we can now use the Eye-fi cards and so experimented with it.

RAW+JPEG and transfer only the JPEG.

Important live even also won't screw up too much that you need the RAW that badly.

The solution is as mentioned above this post.
The stage lighting might change causing different colour temps. So it was important to be able to adjust the white balance during PP.

The stage lighting might change causing different colour temps. So it was important to be able to adjust the white balance during PP.

Then shoot dual SD (1+2), pass 1 for editing, insert another 1 and continue shooting. Card 2 will always have the full set of images.

Technology can't do much, the Eye-Fi is really very slow, even using the WT4 on a D3S to transmit RAW is like... *pain*.

Then shoot dual SD (1+2), pass 1 for editing, insert another 1 and continue shooting. Card 2 will always have the full set of images.

Technology can't do much, the Eye-Fi is really very slow, even using the WT4 on a D3S to transmit RAW is like... *pain*.
We reverted to the old tried and tested method of using an assistant. The eye-fi card wasn't mine, the camera was new to me and there wasn't enough time to work out the best way to do it at the time. It was going to be an experiment with the original plan being used should things go pear shape.