Extreme Macro - Red Harvester Ant and the Termites

Status
Not open for further replies.

tobalman

Jul 20, 2008
Canada,ON, Toronto
_7514.jpg

Spec:
Nikon D90, ISO400, F22, 1/250 Exp comp +3, Raynox 2.5 mount in front of my Tamron 90mm Macro Di, SB800 ITLL + Ring flash.

1.in what area is critique to be sought?
Ideal setting, techniques, lighting etc..

2.what one hopes to achieve with the piece of work?
Would like to get a better depth of field. Sharper image.

3.under what circumstance is the picture taken? (physical conditions/emotions)
I took this picture during my luch hour (noon, sunny)

4.what the critique seeker personally thinks of the picture
Not as sharp as I would like it to be, a little over exposure.

Thank you for your help.

no an macro expert here...this shot seems quite gd to me already...wish there are more termiates though then can tell more story

i am no expert. IMHO, its the angle or composition of this photo. if it can c more the head or eyes of the ant rather than e abdoment, it would be better. Color wise no comment, sharpness is good to me. great shoot anywhy:thumbsup:

I think likewise on the composition.Can be better if you get a head shot. Sharpness seems to be lacking in my pc. Are you using manual or auto focus?

FYI

Those are not Termites, they are Aphids.

the main issue here is composition

lighting can be done better, but that is more technical.. and means nothing if the composition is not there

there are macro shooters, and there are macro shooters.. composition is the key thing that differentiates what some call a magnifier (i.e. just help people magnify everything, anyhow compose, shots boring) versus a macro photographer.

there is no overexposure here.

hello.
I agree with what has been said about the compositon, but what's done is done.
Instead, try working with the things you can to improve the overall quality. Adding some adjustment layers will get a you more dynamic colour.
I've also removed the little insect as I find it a tad distracting (yes, I do realize it's half of your subjects but I think putting a single focus on the ant will create a better composition).

Please tell me if you want this removed.
ant.jpg

I wanted to point out that these were not Termites, but our fellow clubsnape mate Leong23 have already pointed that out.. ;p

I'm no expert in Marco. More post processing and sharperning would help. A recomposition showing more of the ant's head or direction its heading towards would be better. A better option would be actually flipping the entire composition in a vertically opposite direction. I'm actually subconciously tilting my head slightly as i'm looking at the picture. The sharpness seems a tact off.

Hope what i've pointed out will help...

Nevertheless, good attempt in shooting marco..

Dont stop, Keep shooting!
The learning NEVER stops.. ;)

I wanted to point out that these were not Termites, but our fellow clubsnape mate Leong23 have already pointed that out.. ;p

I'm no expert in Marco. More post processing and sharperning would help. A recomposition showing more of the ant's head or direction its heading towards would be better. A better option would be actually flipping the entire composition in a vertically opposite direction. I'm actually subconciously tilting my head slightly as i'm looking at the picture. The sharpness seems a tact off.

Hope what i've pointed out will help...

Nevertheless, good attempt in shooting marco..

Dont stop, Keep shooting!
The learning NEVER stops.. ;)
Yup that is definitely not a termite. Take it from me, I used to manage operations for a pest control company. Heh.

hello.
I agree with what has been said about the compositon, but what's done is done.
Instead, try working with the things you can to improve the overall quality. Adding some adjustment layers will get a you more dynamic colour.
I've also removed the little insect as I find it a tad distracting (yes, I do realize it's half of your subjects but I think putting a single focus on the ant will create a better composition).

Please tell me if you want this removed.
ant.jpg

What TS has done is better. This PP that you have done losses details which is not good for Macro.:thumbsd:

Thank you everyone for the great feedback.

The name Termites have been correct at the newer post but I didn't change its name here.

Keep shooting. Macro is not as easy since you can only predict through experience and with your approach to capture the subjects and frame them in your photos as desired. Lots of patience and waiting to capture the insects at the right moment. Sometimes depend on the plane of focus and approach even use aperture f/30++ also cannot make all of the subject sharp ;)

Also it might be one type of photography that gives you mosquito insect snake bites and get sweaty dirty :)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.