External power for flash

Status
Not open for further replies.

kfeng

Mar 7, 2004
Inside the world of tech
Hi,

If i want to shorten the flash recycling time for the SB800, I could use a sd-8a or sd-7a. But is there an A/C adapter which I can use to shorten the recycling time (and not have to bother having so many AA batteries)?

Thanks.

kfeng said:
Hi,

If i want to shorten the flash recycling time for the SB800, I could use a sd-8a or sd-7a. But is there an A/C adapter which I can use to shorten the recycling time (and not have to bother having so many AA batteries)?

Thanks.

I can't answer your question specifically regarding the availablity of an AC powered source, but I can tell you they aren't difficult to make, all you need is a suitable power supply design and the DIY electronic skills to make it.

Determining the basic power requirements aren't difficult as the power supply will need to provide the appropriate voltage and current (assuming 5 x 1.5V batteries it would be 7.5V at several amps, check manual for maximum current draw of the flash). Then all you need is a Quantum or similar cable for 'modification' and you're on your way.

I think the AC power source for short recycling times is not the typical 5 * 1.5V, high current kinda juice, but there is a source for high voltage 300V (? around there) direct source to charge up the caps. It's mentioned in the quantum website (qtm.com), the juice goes direct into the caps for very fast recharging. Stuff like Quantum Turbo C has 2 outputs, 1 HV for flash (fast) and 1 LV for the body.

The SD-8A also goes direct into the front of the SB800 and another at the side for the small PC sync terminal (not sure what is it used for).

i've seen an event photographer using an external power pack for the SB800 in my fren's wedding over the weekend. quite a small little piece of equipment which he slinged it over his shoulder. the power pack as a cord connected to batt compartment of the flash. the recycling rate was super fast. i saw him cycling thru multiple shots with no lag time from the flash. he told me the pack cuts down the recycling rate of the flash and the power pack last longer too.

wonder where we can find this.... ruby or CP, i guess. :dunno:

nightwolf75 said:
i saw him cycling thru multiple shots with no lag time from the flash. he told me the pack cuts down the recycling rate of the flash and the power pack last longer too.

SD-8A is afforable even for serious amateur/semi-pro use. Quantum's line up is more expensive.....but very tough. The entry-level turbo C can recycle the SB-800 within 1.5s with a full dump. But must really be careful.

Status
Not open for further replies.