External HD died, please help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

eng_keow

Oct 8, 2004
Mt Alvernia Hospital
www.pbase.com
My whole lot of 5000 pics in my 300GB HD is at risk.

Went off for a holiday and found when I got back that the ext HD could not start up. Noted that the light on the transformer is not lighted when switched on. Wondering if I should change the transformer or to change the whole casing.

Anyone, please advise. Thanks

might be wise to just go out and get another casing and put ur HD in, or even borrow a casing from anyone to test if you dont wanna risk spending the money only to find out the HD really died and the case was not at fault.

personally, i wouldnt risk using the same failed casing or transformer.

=D

My whole lot of 5000 pics in my 300GB HD is at risk.

Went off for a holiday and found when I got back that the ext HD could not start up. Noted that the light on the transformer is not lighted when switched on. Wondering if I should change the transformer or to change the whole casing.

Anyone, please advise. Thanks

If your PC does not have a 2nd drive,then you can also remove the hard-disk from the casing and connect the harddisk directly to your PC as a 2nd drive. Access is much faster that way.

If you still cannot read the hard-disk, then you may need to send it to a vendor that does recovery services. For this service, it is better to find one that you can trust to keep your data confidential. You may want to check out the singpost website where they have such a service provided with a service provider.

Whatever you do, do not format the hard-disk :nono:

Good luck!

Thanks roofies and lightbrush for your advice.

Not sure how to directly connect the HD to the comp but will try to change the casing and power supply first.

thanks again.

i suppose is a 3.5 inch de rite if u didnt drop it i think the data cannot be lost just like that and certainly i suspect the casing is faulty

Sounds like a casing problem. Connect your HD to your PC internally and make a copy of your photos quickly. Like mentioned earlier the access speed is much faster this way. Even if you have a secondary drive now just disconnect that first and connect your external HD to your MB. Do not do anything to your drive first. Recovery service is very expensive.

Sounds like a casing problem. Connect your HD to your PC internally and make a copy of your photos quickly. Like mentioned earlier the access speed is much faster this way. Even if you have a secondary drive now just disconnect that first and connect your external HD to your MB. Do not do anything to your drive first. Recovery service is very expensive.

i suppose is a 3.5 inch de rite if u didnt drop it i think the data cannot be lost just like that and certainly i suspect the casing is faulty

Thanks jbma and spazzer,

managed to get a new casing ($40) and everything seems ok now. The transformer connection to the HD casing seem all proprietary and each has a different connection. Is there any HD casing out there with both firewire and USB that is reliable??

Status
Not open for further replies.